Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Unwanted internet traffic / ShareCommServer.ex...

Advisor
SkulDuggery

Unwanted internet traffic / ShareCommServer.exe

Hi everybody,

Has anyone ever heard of a little program named "ShareCommServer.exe" which is located in "Z:﹨sys﹨bin﹨ShareCommServer.exe"? This program seems to be able to build up internet connection even if the user requests authorization before connection.

The program connects approx. every 6 hours and transfers between 2K and 10K per session.

If you google the program you find lots of Chinese websites, only few in English but none with an explanation.

I would like to know which program installs this "service" in the background and how can I get rid of it?

Thanks for your opinion / help!

Best regards
Joern

Sapere aude!
Please use plain text.
Professor
reinob

Re: Unwanted internet traffic / ShareCommServer.exe

Whatever that process does, it's part of the firmware (the Z: drive is the ROM), so at least you can be sure it's not a "virus" of any installed app.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
carpetshark

Depending on your carrier, and plan, you might get charged for it. Some plans are messaging only and the carrier will charge for data. It might be a very small charge, but it still isn't fair.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
surendhar

Use some process killer to terminate the process running in the backgound. 

Try to use netqin mobile guard to terminate the process...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SkulDuggery

No chance. The process doesn't even appear in NetQin.

The service seems to connect every 6 hours using any network that is available. This morning the service transmitted nearly 1MB to somewhere.

Even if the service runs from z: I am quite sure, it is some malicious software. Could it be, that it is part of NetQin?

Sapere aude!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SkulDuggery

I don't think that 20€ additional charge a month is fair ... :-(

I really need to find out where this service comes from.

Sapere aude!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have the same problem and can't found solution. Maybe someone found already?

Nokia E-72
Please use plain text.
jayx808

I also have the same problem, can anyone enlighten us on on this please?

Im getting unnecessary data charges please help.

Please use plain text.
akarshsinghasd

i found a solution use netqin antivirus to stop this program from using inernet, do following steps

If you dont have netqin antivirus than download from following link
http://netqin.mobi/pkgs/946/av_en/NetQin_P946_AV_S60OS94.sisx

open netqin antivirus> go to network manager> select connected app> then close sharecommserver.exe
Please use plain text.
lafayette84

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I just stumbled on this discussion since I had the same problem with my 5800 and I have solved it. It's easier than it seems, the ShareOnline service is set by default to download account updates every 6 hours.

You can simply go to Share Online (you can reach it by touching the top right area near XpressMusic heading) ->  settings -> advanced -> download interval and set it to "manual".

Et voilà, no more unwanted connections.

Moderators notes: Off topic comments removed.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bbao

I do have the exact same issue with my E72, but I just can't find the same or similar settings above. Any hints please?
bbao

* If this post helped you, please click the white Kudo star.
* If this post has solved your issue, please click Accept as Solution.
Please use plain text.