Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Wifi improves battery?

Mobile Guru
phonehacker

Wifi improves battery?

I have heard that connecting to internet through WLAN improves battery life compared to cellular connection and therefore it it preferable to surf the internet from your phone using wifi. Is this true?

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Wifi uses less battery alright,about improving it is another thing.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker

Thanks for the reply jimmy. I didn't know that wifi consumes less energy:smileysurprised:

However, i would like to know whether wifi increases battery performance or not. In my opinion, this is not true but i'd like to listen to others' opinion too.

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

I had a quick google search on this and it seems wifi does use less as its connecting within a distance,3g,edge etc has to connect to a tower,having said that this could be good for some and not good for others,another thing is the data been transmitted too,all in all seems wifi uses less consumption.
i would say it will be an interesting topic with many views to be honest.personally i never use wifi as there is none local so from my view i cant say hence regular charging for me.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
s3r4ph

From my personal experience, wifi does imporve battery life.

On my N8, I have set my work and home wlan to higher preferences of connectivity, and switch to recognized wlan networks. So when it's in range, it'll connect to the wifi and switch 3g off. That not only saves tons of battery life(seriously, it saved a huge amount of battery life, a measurable amount) and the internet is always on, and is faster. So using wifi is a win in every way

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker

Thanks s3r4ph for sharing your experience with us! It sounds really interesting - I think I'll turn 3G off and I'll try having my C7 connected to my WLAN for a day to see what happens to the battery...

Please use plain text.