Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: deepfish--coming soon to a mobile phone near y...

deepfish--coming soon to a mobile phone near you?

[ Edited ]
I would like to know if the Nokia N-series and S60-series smartphones support the new Microsoft browser, "deepfish"? I enclose the post I made in the Danish Engineering magazine, "Ingeniøren"

frontiersci
Denmark

deepfish--coming soon to a mobile...
Af Scott Hill, 02.09.2007 kl 11:06

Scott

Sorry to quash the irrational exuberance of suspected Zune and Halo 3 announcements, but this one is still big and you're getting it early. There’s a new web browser in town for Windows Mobile fans that goes by the name Deepfish. It runs technology borrowed from Sea Dragon, the imaging engine behind Photosynth.

It’s free and you won’t have to wait for an update to be pushed out through your cellular carrier to get it, you can download it now.

A bit about me and my phone: I’m a former diehard Sidekick user. I see a lot of people speculating about this phone and that phone, whether it will have map integration, GPS, games, MP3/video player, still/video camera, a nice graphics frontend, a good web browsing experience, and an open development platform. While they dream and speculate, I’m enjoying all of that right now.

I’ve got an HTC 8525 (w/ 2GB memory). Seamlessly syncing with my desktop Outlook, it’s the last thing I look at before going to bed (to see my schedule the next day), and the first thing I look at in the morning (as an alarm and to check email.) I can use a Bluetooth GPS to find my way around, and I have a similar Virtual Earth experience that I enjoy on my computer. I even see dynamic overlays of traffic, which is important if you live in a big city. I have a great interface when I turn it on, and now with Deepfish I have a great web experience with it too.

Because Windows Mobile is an open platform, I have Voice Control, VoIP, RSS reader, fullscreen touch keyboard, FTP client, my choice of instant messengers, and I can choose from thousands of other applications to fit any need I might have (or you could write your own, but that's for those Channel 9 guys.) I can stream all my videos, music and pictures from my home computer to my phone on the road. There are more games than I’ll ever have a chance to try, including a great MahJong game and a pixel perfect port of my favorite game of all time – X-Com. Soon, you'll even be able to use Windows Sidebar Gadgets on your phone.

One little switch opens the battery compartment. I have 3 spares (including a monster wart battery for long flights) and a charger at my desk to rotate them through so I can go days without even thinking about power. In a pinch, I can just plug in a standard old USB cable to charge my phone from any powered USB port.

But this is the best; when I’m on the road I can plug this cellphone up to my laptop to get mobile broadband.

So yes, I'm a Windows Mobile (and Deepfish) fan.

Message Edited by michaels on 03-Sep-2007 08:51 AM

Message Edited by michaels on 03-Sep-2007 08:52 AM

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

Re: deepfish--coming soon to a mobile phone near you?

Isn't it a bit like Opera Mini? A network service that caches and reformats web sites and then present a modified/optimized version for mobile devices.

Anyway, Nokia doesn't support it, and it is really Microsoft's business to support Nokia or S60 with their browser, and not Nokia's.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
patc

I'd be very surprised if Microsoft make it available on Symbian: I would have thought anything even vaguely flashy would only be on Windows Mobile for the foreseeable future.

Basically, Microsoft want to own the phone O/S market (as well as every other software market) and making things that work on competitor O/S isn't exactly working toward that goal.
Please use plain text.

ah yes, but Nokia is now producing a smartphone, so I suppose windows mobile software will be more readily available on Nokia devices in 2008?

frontierscientist
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

Microsoft already has made it available for Symbian/S60 through/with Nokia.

In other words, there is a Live Messenger and Live Spaces applications by Microsoft on many Nokia models for many countries/regions. Where it is available, it can be preinstalled, or you can install it yourself through the "Download!" application (if the latter has not been removed by the network operator on an operator customized device).
Please use plain text.