Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: internet tel software for Nokia 5800 xpress mu...

Contributor

internet tel software for Nokia 5800 xpress music

i purchased new nokia mobile set and replaced my N95.

i was using sip/voip call on my n95 mobile and while purchasing the 5800, i found WLAN and sip setting options in it and thought i will be able to use internet calls from this phone as well, but after purchasing and using, i was much disappointed that i could not make an internet call,even i configured all the sip settings and connected phone to my WLAN.

but one thing which i didnt find before making internet call that there is no option for internet call :smileysad:.

i am not much expert of such techniques, but if some body can help and guide me, i will really appreciate it.

just want to know either there is no option for internet call in this mobile or i will have to do something to install it?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: internet tel software for Nokia 5800 xpress music

How ever stupid it may look, there is no SIP client in the 5800XM. It looks absolutely idiotic to put a SIP stack in the phone and allow the user to create SIP profiles to register to a SIP server, but not put in the front-end to actually use the SIP stack.

At present you will find no software, 3rd party of from Nokia, allowing you to use the SIP profile created on your phone. You can, however, use software such as fring that will tunnel the registration to a SIP server through their own network. It's a bit of a kludge but it works after a fashion (quite a bit of lag and it takes a few seconds for the connection to be made after both parties have picked up the phone).

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.

I've installet Skype - for N95 - it works. If even not perfect

Works ok with wlan    :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
hgohel

So far Fring is the only software I have found that allows me to use my VOIP/SIP accounts.  As posted here already, there is a noticeable lag with Fring and it is difficult to have a normal conversation.

NOKIA!  Please restore the VOIP client with an update...

Nokia N8-00 (NAM, Product Code: 059C8T6), Symbian Belle, Type RM-596, 111.030.0609
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (NAM, Product Code: 0577454) Software v51.2.007, Type RM-428
Please use plain text.
Contributor

At last the new firmware Version:  21.0.025  is released.

i am going to update it tonight with the hope the voip client will be there.

NOKIA CARE LINE !!!!!! will i find it there?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Unfortunately you will not find a VoIP client in v21, nothing has changed.

It's highly unlikely that they will add it as users of other models have been requesting it for at least six months now.

All you can do is wait and hope for a software solution from a 3rd party or nokia.  At the moment apps like fring are your only (limited) option.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks dear, its again very sad to hear, i was really hoping that Nokia team will use to read these discussions and they take feedback from it... but its useless.. i was much confident that i will get VOIP client in new version. i have used fring but it is not working as smooth as nokia origional. for sip calls, now i am using my PC but it was more convenient to use by phone. will i have to wait again for the next version or should i just thorow my phone????
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

I seriously doubt that it will be in the next version so it's entirely your choice what you do with the phone.

The nokia VoIP team have been aware that N96 owners are unhappy about the lack of VoIP for many months but they have chosen not to act, which is a big mistake. Other models after the N96 got support like the N79 and N85 which has further angered N96 owners.  It appears that the 5800xm is getting the same treatment as the N96 so far, but you have to remember that the 5800xm is a mid range media phone so VoIP isn't a priority for a model like that.

Message Edited by psychomania on 07-May-2009 03:15 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

psychomania wrote:

you have to remember that the 5800xm is a mid range media phone so VoIP isn't a priority for a model like that.

And yet they included the SIP stack...

Something definitely wasn't thought through at Nokia, and it definitely does annoy VoIP users who only find half of what they need in the phone. Not only do they only find half of what they need, but that half is utterly useless without the other half and is just wasting space in the flash ROM.

I'm hoping Nokia will come to their senses one day but I'm not holding my breath.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rkhigham

I have downloaded FRING: it automatically picks up the SiP settings which I had already entered (thinking that the 5800 would have Internet Call functionality) & enables me to make rudimentary internet calls but they are definitely clunky and suffer from awful lag (you could nip home & speak to the other person face-to-face in the time it takes for your voice to be carried this way). Come on Nokia. This is pathetic. I used to keep away from Vodafone because they disabled the VOiP in their branded phones...only to find that Nokia are actually removing useful features themselves. **bleep** is that about? Suggestion: Nokia, why don't you remove the microphone from the phones too; that way you could really p**** off a few more loyal customers. I despair...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

For what it's worth, I'm using nimbuzz because of issues with Fring and Yahoo login and it's working fine, if not as well as a regular telephone.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rkhigham

Many thanks to jmurthy. Nimbuzz is far better and has a nicer UI than Fring. I can live with having to use Nimbuzz; I'm still angry at Nokia for disabling VOiP but thankful that companies like Nimbuzz exist to look after the users that Nokia abandon. I hope seriously that VOiP won't be disabled in the N97 (vanilla/unlocked version) - I bought my 5800 last week (after loving my E71 (with its glorious VOiP calling) for 6+ months) in order to see whether I could ever get on with a touchscreen with a view to getting the N97 possibly later in the summer. So far almost everything on the 5800 is great apart form the VOiP-lessness!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
philippe3

And Talkonaut, do you think it could be a good solution? http://www.talkonaut.com/
Please use plain text.
Professor
hgohel

Talkonaut was mentioned in another thread...and I posted my thoughts on it.  If you have first-hand experience with it, please do post.

Another software that I ran into recently is called "vippie" but after installing the demo version on my 5800 I could get nowhere with it because of lack of documentation and nothing intuitive once I started the application.

Nokia N8-00 (NAM, Product Code: 059C8T6), Symbian Belle, Type RM-596, 111.030.0609
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (NAM, Product Code: 0577454) Software v51.2.007, Type RM-428
Please use plain text.
Contributor

well, i tried nimbuzz, also recomended from other friends but even still i could not install it on my phone, the installation halts and says, could not install, may be i am doing some mistake..
Please use plain text.
Professor
hgohel

textilian1 wrote:
well, i tried nimbuzz, also recomended from other friends but even still i could not install it on my phone, the installation halts and says, could not install, may be i am doing some mistake..

Assuming you've tried simpler things like downloading Nimbuzz again, restarting the phone, installing to phone memory instead of the E: drive and maybe even resetting your phone, the next thing I would do I open a support case (or post on their forums whatever is their support mode) with Nimbuzz and work through this with them.

Please use plain text.
Sage
navio1973

The worst thing is that there is the sip client on the N97!

I do not approve the nokia choice! 

Please use plain text.
Professor
hgohel

navio1973 wrote:

The worst thing is that there is the sip client on the N97!

Really?  Another user posted that there wasn't a SIP (VOIP) client on the N97.  Is your information first hand?  I believe the other user who posted in another thread posted before the N97 was released, so things may have changed.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Just like in all recently released S60 phones, there is a SIP stack allowing you to register to a SIP server, but no SIP client (internet telephony application) to use that stack built-in to the firmware. Nor is there an add-on application, 3rd party or from Nokia, to do that.

Absolutely braindead.

Please use plain text.
Sage
tzsm98

Add another name to the list of users who is unhappy with lack of native VoIP functionality. I am spoiled by the UMA functionality of the 6301b, a Series 40 device that handles the wifi calling  and handoff to the tower seamlessly and without error now that the firmware has been updated to 8.22. All that was necessary was for me to enter my preshared key to my wireless network. Had I been going  "bare" on my network even that step could have been avoided.

I scroll through my 5800 \XPM and see wizards for e-mail, for MMS, for Text and have to wonder what the problem is for putting together a wizard for VoIP? Are end users that stupid that Nokia can't trust us to set these up? Are the telecoms so powerful they don't want VoIP on the devices?

Oh well, this is what you'd expect from a company that believes the enduser doesn 't deserve to know what changes between firmware downgrades, oops, I meant updates.

3390 - 6103b - 6133 - 6290 - 6301b - N78-3 - 5610d-2b XpressMusic - 5800d-1b XpressMusic, N900 RX-51, N8-00, C7 Astound, 808 Pureview, Lumia 1020.
Nicer phones and still no one calls me!
Please use plain text.