Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: How can I play .avi files in N79

Advisor
crajolkar

How can I play .avi files in N79

hi all

i am unable to play videos in .avi files. pls help me to solve this problem.

can anybody tell me how can i play .avi files in n79,

pls

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

[ Edited ]

S60 smartphones dont play .avi videos out of the box (infact no Nokia phone does it except the N900)

you can look for Divx player  Core player where the former is a freeware

Message Edited by krizanand on 05-Nov-2009 12:24 AM

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

smartmovie also plays AVI (divx, xvid) files.

640K Should be enough for everybody
El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

@el loco ya how did i miss that, thanks for adding it

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
crajolkar

thanks i hv downloaded divx & smartmovie player ,and now i can watch .avi files

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

crajolkar wrote:

thanks i hv downloaded divx & smartmovie player ,and now i can watch .avi files

Just a question about your experiences, how do you see this two players? I mean from a comparative viewpoint? :smileywink:

Please use plain text.

hi, you need to convert avi video to 3gp for n79.

I use iWisoft Free video converter to do that conversion. it' freeware and works excellently!!

http://www.easy-video-converter.com

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
no1_slumko

hi Seoup
I think it's a whole lot easier and less of a hassle to download an app that lets you play .avi files than it is to convert them. Try it you'll have yourself hours
Show your appreciation. Hit that kudos button real hard
Please use plain text.
Advisor
crajolkar

hi all

i have download divx player and smartmovie player in my handset, now i can see .avi files

thanks to all

Please use plain text.

Hi no1_slumko, I'll try your method. But i think convert it to video for palyable on n97 with this iwisoft free video converter is also very easy! Because it provides the video profiles for the conversion. Just add files ,set format easily and hit start. you can get the video which can be directly imported to mobile phone. And it's definitely the best freeware video converter i have used. You can give it a try too!

I am happy to discuss the problem with you, you are the professor, im a newbie! Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
no1_slumko

Well trust me, The fact that I'm professor on this forum does not mean I know any more than you do, Not by a loooong shot.

I use Total Video converter to convert my files, it's easy to use and faster than the Video converter that comes with PC suite.

Look at it this way Many people will download and rip their videos to .avi format to watch on a computer: it can be small with good quality.

What i was merely saying is If you already have .avi files on your computer it's a lot more convenient to have an application that plays .avi than to have to convert every file that you want to transfer and end up with the same video in two different formats. What a waste of valuable hard drive space. :smileywink:

Some of the avi files that I have can't be played by the DivX player on my phone, this must have something to do with the way they were created(codec??)

This is the only time I will convert a video to mp4 so I can play it on Real player 

Show your appreciation. Hit that kudos button real hard
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

Yes. Why re-encode when you can watch them as they are?

The only benefit I could see for re-encoding is to get slightly better battery life as a supported codec will run directly in the CPU instead of a software renderer.

But that's about it.

Even the DIVX mobile player is a good match for the included Realplayer in terms of features. And CorePlayer has a lot more features that you could use with your AVI files.

640K Should be enough for everybody
El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.