Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

MKV Playback in C6-01 (Enabling subtitle track)

lovinmac6_01

MKV Playback in C6-01 (Enabling subtitle track)

Hello!

I recently purchased a C6-01 handset, and I must say I'm very pleased. The phone gives me everything I could ask for. But, I have an issue regarding MKV playback. The videos play fine, but I am unable to view subtitles which are part of the file, but are not embedded on the video. Is there any option for this within the handset itself, or should I look for a 3rd party app?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Lovin Ma C6-01 :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

Re: MKV Playback in C6-01 (Enabling subtitle track)

[ Edited ]

Only N8 received an update for sub-titles support with movie play back, don't know if Symbian Anna update for E7, C7&C6-01 has sub-title support , haven't checked on my E7.

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AnupTheRaskal

Update your phone using Software Update. Look for Quick Search Update. Download it. Install it.

Next rename the subtitle exactly same as that of the video file name. E.g.: if video file name is testvideo.mkv , then subtitles name must be testvideo.srt . It can be testvideo.sub as well(depending upon what subtitle file you have). Keep both video and subtitle file in the same folder and you are done. Play video, you should see your subtitle.

Note: if not working then download another subtitle file, preferably in .srt extension.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

@AnupTheRaskal what quick search update has to do with video sub-title support?. Haven't heard of what you've said.

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
lovinmac6_01

[ Edited ]

AnupTheRaskal wrote:

Update your phone using Software Update. Look for Quick Search Update. Download it. Install it.

Next rename the subtitle exactly same as that of the video file name. E.g.: if video file name is testvideo.mkv , then subtitles name must be testvideo.srt . It can be testvideo.sub as well(depending upon what subtitle file you have). Keep both video and subtitle file in the same folder and you are done. Play video, you should see your subtitle.

Note: if not working then download another subtitle file, preferably in .srt extension.

In my case, the subtitles are included in the mkv file, but are not embedded on the video itself. the subtitles are not in a separate .a,ss or .srt file. In my PC, I usually open the video and in player options enable subtitles. Is there any such option on my phone as well?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AnupTheRaskal

@krizanand In c6-01, after pr1.2, there is no update called video player as its given in c7. However, there is an update named "Quick Search Update" in C6-01 in software update. This installs the video player subtitle update in the phone. If you have C6-01, after update, you can see video player (size 521 KB) in installed application. This update is responsible for subtitle view while playing videos.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AnupTheRaskal

@lovinmac6_01: If you have this update installed, then subtitles should be displayed even if they are inside your mkv container. Atleast it does with mp4 container. there is no option given in phone to enable or disable it.

Please use plain text.
lovinmac6_01

I have updated my phone to the latest stable update of symbian anna. That is not the issue. The issue is enabling softsubbed subtitles in my device (for those of you who don't know, Softsubbing is where you do not burn the subtitles onto the video itself, but instead attach it as a separate stream. Mkv Containers can have multiple subtitle streams). Also, I am unable to play HD Mkv videos as i only get audio with a logo of a broken video in the display. Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AnupTheRaskal

Rarely any mkv files are supported by The device. The problem is with video codecs. It doesn't have sufficient codecs installed to support mkv files. Audio is audible only for The reason its 2-channel aac. 6 channel audio and AC-3 codecs are also not installed in any nokia except N8.try playing Dvix, Xvid, h.263, h.264 videos and 2 channel aac or mp3 audio mix hope that helps.

Regarding subtitle, if you want to disable It, either move It to some other folder or try renaming It. It plays only when The file name of both video and subtitle is exactly same(apart from extension).

Please use plain text.