Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 500 Video Playback

Advisor
Accepted Solution

Nokia 500 Video Playback

Can anyone help me with encoding video for the Nokia 500? I have tried several encoding programs and have not successfully got video to play back smoothly yet. I have ripped dvd's at the 15 fps and resolution at 480 x 272. Has anyone had any luck with settings that you might share? I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
David
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: Nokia 500 Video Playback

i use Handbrake, it is free on the web,read the instructions...
first you must rip the dvds to your hard drive, prolly using dvdshrinkor something then point Handbrake toward the folder.
settings should be for MP4 and select stereo for audio.
i havent perfected the frame rate setting yet as my movies are alittle choppy but audio is perfect.
this is acceptable for me at this time as i jsut want to listed to the movies while i drive... really dangerous to drive and WATCH :smileyhappy:

hope this helps

i encourage others to respond with thier successes
Please use plain text.
Sage

Nokia Beta labs has a video encoder for the Internet Tablet. It will encode to MP4 format, and is very spiffy

I have converted to 400x240 30fps, so I hope that should be close enough

http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Easyv thanks for the response, but I have tried your approach and I still have a slight pause to my videos on the Nokia 500. It is watchable and I can not seem to get the right settings yet to make a video play back smoothly and still be a decent picture. Anybody else have suggestions. Would putting the video on a SDHC card make a difference? It does have a faster transfer speed, but I believe the issue is in the hardware.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

it is a hardware problem. i tried high speed SD card, different converters and different settings.
I guess it's time to admit that nokia 500 is **bleep** device and there's no way to fix it.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I also believe that the Nokia 500 is not capable of playing back high quality videos. It could be the video player and to be honest I'm not going to waste the time to hack this device so I can watch quality movies on it. As cheap as GPS systems are going for now, we can just sit back and see what comes out. I paid less than $100 for this thing and with it's other features it's still worth it. So unless someone finds rip settings that the Nokia 500 likes I wouldn't solely base my purchasing this unit based on video playback. I'm sure Nokia isn't going to do any updates to this device. Their website has shown us this. My guess is that they are abandoning the Gps market. Anybody having any thoughts about this?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

that is exactly what i think. nokia decided that gps market is not for them, two gps devices on the market and both are not at the top. so why not to cut prices and get rid of all of them? i don't expect any updates from nokia unless there's really bad crashing bug found. so, for now i rarely use gps, once maybe twice a year only when i travel and it gets me from point A to point B. If i'm changing my lifestyle/work/location I'm definitely buying new gps from reputable company.

p.s. nokia still makes great cell phone devices, so i'm sticking with them in this area.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

It is a problem for us if they are abandoning us. Does not give me a good feeling about buying one of their cell phones again.

This unit is really just a PDA. There are some on GPSPassion website that are hacking it. Basically then loading some decent software. Not sure if they have it all worked out yet.

Now if Nokia are abandoning us, maybe they could provide us with an unlock for the unit so it will operate like a Mio PDA? Then we can load whatever software we wish. It would make a nice replacement for my older iPaq.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have the solution for almost perfect playback, please follow instructions carefully

1. go to cnet.com and download "free zune video converter 1.0"
once dowloaded the rest is a breeze
2. Click "add files" then add the file you want converted
3. on 'output file format/ video settings set on "(mp4/(mpeg-4 aac)video and audio, for video option select bitrate 300 and fps 14.985
4. on advanced setting set resolution to "custom" at 480 X 272
5. Click convert

you may get away w/ 23 FPS but the above mentioned formula works brilliantly, enjoy!!!

NO MORE COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS INCREDIBLE DEVICE
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hats off to you Agelement! I have tried the encoding as you stated and it works pretty darn good. I'm was impressed that the program is such a small self running application and encoded my test files fast. I went ahead and did some movie trailers and they looked good on the Nokia 500. Everyone should follow Agelement's directions, because they are right on. Not prefect, but very watchable. Thank you!

I don't hate the Nokia 500, I just wish Nokia would support it better. Updates to the maps, poi's and software. I still believe that the Nokia 500 for the money is the best bargain on the market.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

we'll assume that users have already "ripped" thier movies before following the above directions for conversions yes?

this zune convertor doesnt rip and convert directly from dvd does it?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

No you need a video converter like DVDFab or Clonedvd Mobile to turn a Dvd to a mp4. avi ..etc file. Once you do this you can use the Zune converter as mention with the labeled settings. I know it's troublesome, but hey it's the best I've found so far. Complete movies around 300 mb. This means with an bigger SD card you can have hours on to hours of movies to watch on this thing. The video playback is not perfect, but very watchable.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

dvd-shrink? places the audio and video in seperate folders like video_ts and audio_ts .VOB files
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I wouldn't use shrink to get the video folder. The way I mentioned is easy. Timely yes, but it works.

1. Rip movie with DVDFab Mobile option and select generic output (which is mp4). Or you can use Clonedvd Mobile to do the same.
2. Download Zune Video converter and use the above settings.
3. Contect Nokia 500 via usb and copy the movie file over to the unit
4. It's just that simple.

You could use the shrink ripped files from the hd by just inserted the contents in the video folder. I have found that I sometimes get audio problems.

But hey, what ever works for you.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

nice!!! i shrink'd a dvd and then used the free zune converter to specs above :smileyhappy::smileyhappy::smileyhappy::smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
leenusjames

Hey guys...I ve the s/w named "format factory" that can be used to convert any format into the desired format....select mp4 conversion and set the type a " mpeg 4 hd 640x360 wide screen" it works damn damn good for me...no delays ..... try t guys...yu can download the s/w easily ...search in google yu ll easily find..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sheikhusman

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sheikhusman

owsum video qualty ,thank you!!
Please use plain text.
cavemaster

guys, i support  leenusjames.

i have tried many converters and the best quality was seen in format factory.

i am attaching a screenshot for the maximum quality of audio and video.

i used these settings to convert hd videos. bitrates over 1600 makes the video pause.

The 16:9 aspect ratio gives a full screen video for nokia 500.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aneebsabir

nokia uptill now has made **bleep** of all its customers....all of its devices are worthless....talking of nokia 500..this device inspite of having a 1ghz processor is  slow upto an unbearable extent..it doesnot play good quality videos..even nokia cant manufacture its own add free apps....what to talk of anything else....its all **bleep**..

Please use plain text.