Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia n97 videos won't play!!!

Counsellor

Nokia n97 videos won't play!!!

Whenever i try playin videos on my n97 the don't play. It just says trying to play partially and plays only the sound and no images??
Mobile Guru
el_loco

Re: Nokia n97 videos won't play!!!

Some potential issues:

1) Videos are using an unsupported codec. Like divx, xvid, sorenson, spark, etc.

2) Videos are H264. The N97 seems to have an issue and doesn't play H264

3) Videos are WMV but high bitrate. Currenlty the N97 only plays low bitrate WMV videos.

640K Should be enough for everybody
El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Advisor

download free video to i pod and psp video converter from www.dvdvideosoft.com after downloading open it and choose the i pod option from the left bottom corner move the preset to i pod touch high quality 480 into 320......convert it and add it to your mobile and the video will work i hope it helps........if its useful press the kudos button...........
Mobile Guru
el_loco

The N97 can handle higher rez videos than the iPod.

Video rez is 640x360 so in using an iPod converter you are losing some of the resolution.

El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Sage

Hi,

Can you tell which video format u are trying to play? (at least tell the extension of the video file)

Registered Member

I`m having the same problems and more. It wont play video no matter what i encode it to. Whats the point of a phone that plays high def video but wont actually play high def video, nokia? Most down load films theses days are encoded in dvix ect so might it be a good idea to design your poxy flagship phone to play it.

People dont want to mess about converting stuff just to find you can only listern to it. People just want to upload a movie and have done with it!

The one time i have manage to convert a DVD that will play on my (cough) device i found the quality very poor.

Oh and the software that comes with the phone? Was that meant as a joke, nokia? Everytime i open the app on two of my three pc`s it crashes. I cant sync music with it, it takes ages to upload stuff onto your phone and your lucky if it plays.

The phone its self stinks! Its touch screen is slow and imprecise. Apps are slow to open, the screen scratches as soon as you get it out the box.

Honestly, i`m bitterly disapointed with my N97. I`m stuck with the poxy thing on a 18 month contract but i will probaly lob it up the wall before that time!

Sorry Nokia for this rant but i wish i had gone with the iphone instead.

The N97 is trash

Mobile Guru
el_loco

Well very few phones play DIVX out of the box. Only Samsung and some LG do.

There's divx mobile player you can use in N97 but it's not completely compatible read here

Converting DVDs is very simple if you buy a DVD to Mp4 or 3GP converter. There are some examples in my blog.

All you need to know is the right formats to use read here

Even OVI suite 1.1 seems to work for me. It's slow and you can't control too much the results but it gets the job done most of the time.

El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Registered Member

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply, but why the hell would i want to BUY software to make my "multi media" phone play media? After spending all that money on the phone in the first place, i will NOT open my wallet again.

Nokia should bundle the nesseary software with the phone. Or design the phone to play "multi media"

Message Edited by fastfox on 30-Aug-2009 02:37 PM
Mobile Guru
el_loco

You don't have to BUY anything.

A little reaseach would have told you that DIVX, XVID, .avi files are not supported by N97.

The necessary software is in the box. You need OVI suite to convert DIVX files to your phone format. 

Like I said it's not like AVI files are widely supported in phones, there's only a handful devices that support that OUT OF THE BOX.

El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Registered Member

Hey guys, I was wondering that if I download and install Dvix player for mobiles on nokia N97, would that work? cause I have tried it on my previous mobile sony ericsson and it worked, and it really helped me to play .wmv or .avi files at that time!!!

Mobile Guru
el_loco

Yep it works but there are a few caveats.

See my post HERE

El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Sage
St3ph3n

For converting use Nero recode
n97.

Re: Nokia N97 video issues

I have upgraded my N96 to an N97 and the latter simply will not playback video, even when it has been recorded with the built in camera.

I had no such issues with the N95 or N96, considering the phone is more up to date this is really frustrating.

Also converted files only sound plays back, this was never an issue on the N96.

Also it will not install BBC  Iplayer, which I suspect is linked in some way.

Can anyone help, the firmware is up to date.

Thanx

Mobile Guru
el_loco

You may need to reset the phone and start fresh.

Back up all your data before the reset.

El_Loco Nokia Video Blog

Many thanks, I performed a hard reset, which I was reluctant to do as it can be dangerous (it killed a N95 a few years ago) but I had no choice.

The soft reset was useless, when I couldn't play videos taken with the N96 or N97 I suspected that it was something deep rooted.

The hard reset worked like a dream, IPlayer is still an issue as I'm struglling to get the installed program to pair with the wi-fi connection.

Work in progress.......once again thanx for the reply

Registered Member

How do i download video to my N97. I have this special offer voucher but still i cant download movie. What a Joke? Its better to get I-Phone then to have N97 it seems noika is copying the feature of I-Phone. Can you help at all?

Without getting into the Nokia/IPhone debate, the last 3 Nokia's I have had N95/N96 & N97 have been perfectly able to handle video.

Not only that the video they produce is near DVD quality, I guess the next generation of Nokia top end handsets will go beyond this and probably into HD!

IPhone's although they look like works of art really are design over function, the camera in next to useless and as far as I can tell the video performance is non existant.

Try replacing the battery in a IPhone without destroying the case and your warranty!

Ovi store is also hot on the heels of IPhone App store too, there are some fantastis free apps if you have a look.

You simply need to get a reputable video converter, there are plenty out there or use the PC suite as this, in the case of the N97 will convert video's as you move them across across.

I hope this helps

Dave S

Registered Member
igeoogle

I suggest you read this - Convert Movies and Videos for the Nokia N97 and N97 Mini

It's a full guide on how to convert videos and movies for the Nokia N97 and N97 mini. Converted videos are playable in full screen and in hi def. Hope that helps.

Mobile Guru
el_loco

Wow, I wish I had thought of that before...

... wait I did thought of it :smileytongue:

SUPER instructions

El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Registered Member
ishanlalit2000

Can u Plz  tell me which extension are not work in N97