Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Problem with Macro Mode on 808 for close up pictur...

Advisor
opcode

Problem with Macro Mode on 808 for close up pictures, because of no zoom in full resolution.

-The 808 have much better video and picture quality both in normal mode and in macro mode than the N8, but not in picture macro mode!

I took several pictures of very small things using the 808 with full resolution including extremely small text, but in full resolution you can not zoom in, and then you can not get closer because it would get impossible to focus. Then I took several pictures of the same very small things using the 8MP PUREVIEW and zoomed in. Then opened the pictures on my computer using 100% magnification, and the pictures were of the exact same size! And quality wise the pictures taken in 8MP PUREVIEW were slightly better, and in 8MP you see better what you are photographing because of the zoom. So, the software in the case of macro mode doesn’t use the potential of the huge sensor, and that means so much MP FOR NOTHING!

-Then I had an idea. The N8 has got zoom when in maximum resolution contrary to the 808, and the N8 has got 12MP vs the only 8MP of the 808. So I took several pictures of the same small things including extremely small text, using both the N8 with full zoom at 12MP and the 808 with full zoom at only 8MP. And then opened the pictures on my computer using 100% magnification, and obviously the pictures from the N8 were a little bigger because the N8 has got more MP. But the 808 was lucky, because even with the smaller pictures, the quality was just slightly better, just slightly, so overall you could see a little better what the words were in the case of text pictures than the N8.

-In conclusion, the 808 has got a way much bigger sensor, but the software in the case of macro pictures does not take advantage of the bigger sensor of the 808. It should be possible to zoom in when in full resolution, or at least it should be possible to use the pureview mode with zooming capabilities at 12MP at least. Or/and it should be possible to focus closer to the small things.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Problem with Macro Mode on 808 for close up pictures, because of no zoom in full resolution.

@opcode

Had you thought of trying a 49mm Close-up lens held in place with elastic bands?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
opcode

Re: Problem with Macro Mode on 808 for close up pictures, because of no zoom in full resolution.

Nokia must improve their sofware, in order to get full advantage of the hardware already installed.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
zlebronjames

[ Edited ]

What kind of 49mm Close-up lens did you use or prefer?

but its not convenient to carry this everywhere you go unless you are a photographer.

How do I take macro picture of small worm inside a plastic transparent container? Its very challanging to focus with Nokia 808. I cannot beat my friend who's using Samsung GS 3 can focus easily on droplets on a plastic bottle because there is no such restriction of 15cm distance away of subject. ~really hope got manual focus :smileyhappy: ~dreaming of it~

Nokia 808 still give the best sharpness details for far shots but macro with poor focusing and restriction from the software which worry the most for me. If you give me N8 or n808 for macro I will choose N8 together with some macro lens to boost it more closer like an microsope.

Please use plain text.