Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Should I worry about viruses or malware?

Technical Expert
michaels

Should I worry about viruses or malware?

[ Edited ]

What is a virus?

Computer viruses are small software programs that are designed to spread from one computer to another and to interfere with computer operation.

Is my Nokia Series 40 or Asha device at risk from viruses?

Absolutely not. Series 40 (also known as S40) devices can only run Java applications in .jad or .jar formats, these can only be installed and run at your own instigation, no program can get into your Series 40 phone without your knowledge, and it would not be possible for them to make changes to your device operating system.

Is my Nokia Symbian device at risk from viruses?

Currently there are no Symbian viruses in circulation. Symbian S60 and Symbian^3 devices are not subject to virus attacks in the traditional sense, no program can be installed into your Symbian device without your knowledge. There have been no known viruses for Symbian devices since S60 2nd Edition (Nokia's last devices with that version of the OS were in 2006).

Virus developers never saw serious benefit in developing viruses for Symbian devices because of the fact that it is not possible to install software without the user's knowledge, which rather defeats the object of the exercise. A compatibility break between S60 2nd Edition and later versions of Symbian means that recent devices have not been at risk from the small number of experimental Symbian viruses previously created.

Is my Lumia device at risk from viruses?

The Windows Phone operating system of your Lumia can only be changed by over-the-air updates from Mircrosoft which come from secure servers direct to your phone or during a repair process. There is no way that code from any other source can get into the phone's core operating system. Furthermore, any app that you install has it's own secure area of memory where it and its data are stored. This "sandboxed" memory cannot be accessed by any other apps, and apps also cannot make changes to the OS, so your Lumia device is well protected against the threat of viruses.

Can a virus in my PC also affect my Nokia S40 or Symbian device?

No, your PC has a totally different operating system to your Nokia mobile device, and no program be it legitimate or malicious which is designed to run on a PC would work on a Nokia S40 or Symbian device.

Can a virus in my PC also affect my Nokia Lumia device?

No. Whilst the system architecture is similar, the restrictions that prevent external software from accessing the OS or other apps protects your Lumia phone from virus infection.

What is malware?

Malware, short for malicious software, consists of programming (code, scripts, active content, and other software) designed to disrupt or deny operation, gather information that leads to loss of privacy or exploitation, gain unauthorized access to system resources, and other abusive behaviour.

Is my Nokia device at risk from malware and how should I protect it?

There are potential risks, particularly concerning abuse of your data stored in the phone which may be relayed to third parties without your knowledge. As with viruses, it is not possible for software to install itself onto your device without your knowledge, but it is possible for an application that you install yourself to have malicious intent. The best way to protect yourself is to download apps only from trustworthy sources, and resist the temptation to obtain pirated software - you may have the initial benefit of not paying for commercial software, but the consequences may not be so pleasant.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.