Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 5800 Upgrade to firmware v20 Language Problem

Advisor

5800 Upgrade to firmware v20 Language Problem

My bad luck continues....

I upgraded my new 5800 (replacement) using the Nokia suite, and the  Nokia Software updater.

The upgrade went fine, but with a major problem: The language I used (greek - el) is no longer valid in my phone.

The product code is 0559066

The *#0000# screen shows V20.0.012 ( 20.0.012.C01.01) with language set O2. 

How can I find the firmware that supports the greek language..? Shouldn't this be done automatically from the Software updater? Or can I at least revert to v11?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

the only way you can change a language pack is by going to nokia care. also make sure that the language you use plus the language you want are both in a specific language pack. nokia care will install the desired language pack for a small fee. there is few things to keep in mind, you will lose your installed language pack if you update a firmware and/or have to reformat your phone. in that case your language pack will default to whatever native pack was installed with the firmware meant for this product code.

your phone was not meant for your region hence a different product code

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Do you happen to know what is the code that is ment for greece / el language? How did they manage to give it to greek language pack if it was not the valid one for this code?

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thank you.

Message Edited by vblath on 16-Feb-2009 07:59 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

the product code always starts with a 0 (zero) and has seven digits. you can plug in your product code and google it and see what region your phone was originally meant for. again you can go to nokia care and they will put on the language pack for you but you will lose it if you reformat or update frimware on your phone as it was not meant for your phone originally. there is no other official method that you can do this with. all other methods void your warranty.
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

vblath wrote:

Do you happen to know what is the code that is ment for greece / el language? How did they manage to give it to greek language pack if it was not the valid one for this code?

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thank you.

Message Edited by vblath on 16-Feb-2009 07:59 PM

Your phone is obviously an import from another region, 

THe retailer will have had the language pack installed before he sold it to you 

but as has been said when you update you loose all language packs and the phone reverts to it's default region

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I went to a Nokia Care center, where they re-installed the language pack. However this was done with a fee (not a big one).

It is in my opinion a pity that I will have to pay for these kind of things. Shouldn't language packs be free? Why should I pay for a language pack after a major firmware upgrade? The phone was purchassed from a store, and it was even imported from EU for use inside EU.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

Whomever sold it to you should have ordered 5800s intended for Greece. That way the firmware update would not have changed the language.

Instead, the importer or the reseller used 5800s intended for some other country/region, and then changed the firmware without changing the product code. Thus, the firmware update gave the phone the latest firmware for the original country/region the phone was originally manufactured for.

It'd be nice if the languages were user-installable separately, but they aren't today.

It'd be nice too if the phones came with every language for every every country so you wouldn't need to worry (but presumably that'd require so much more memory that it'd make the devices more expensive if all the translations and fonts with characters for all languages would have to be on every device).

Please use plain text.
Sage
jalisinfo

All language in a phone??? No no..this can't be done,,,Nokia doesn't care money but Nokia does care about security and certain legislation, which makes a certain product unique for a particular region. Don't always think from own think from the broad side,i nokia does!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

5800 Upgrade to firmware v20 Problem

Hi!!

I am a new GuY....Nd  ijus wantd to know if Dere's a way to revert back to the old software version of Nokia 5800.

i.e. v11. the new version isnt too glamorous and i wnat the old one back. I dont know what to do..... pls help me out.....Pls!!!

Thanks...!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

Re: 5800 Upgrade to firmware v20 Problem

Rolling back to an earlier firmware is usualy not advisable as most FW updates correct a number of bugs with the phones OS and sometimes add new features.

There is no way for an individual user to do this on his or her own

The only way this could be done legitimatly is at your nearest Nokia Care Pont, where if you have a good reason and are willing to pay then you may be able to get this done

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tonyfs

it is not ok that nokia keep this behavior not being flexible. we are working people and ae use the phones for work and our time too.

you seem to incist in provoke unneccesary conflict were non should be.

i had to move to another country but would love to maintain my phone language. using my time at my work and not in axjusting in a different phone languge.
Please use plain text.