Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

5800 XpressMusic Firmware Update

Advisor
mail79287

5800 XpressMusic Firmware Update

I am trying to update my Nokia 5800’s software/firmware from v51.0.006 to the current v60.0.003.

I have discovered Nokia now do this by "Firmware Over The Air" (FOTA).

FOTA is good idea, as all phones are automatically updated. Most users probably don't have to know that they can do this, leave alone know how to actually do it.

However, manually updating my phone is proving to be more PITA than FOTA.  

If you haven't manually updated your firmware for 2 years (like me) you now can't get the very latest version using Nokia Suite or Nokia Software Updater. The latest version available doesn't enable the phone for FOTA. Catch-22.

I think that I've nearly managed to find the necessary server profile settings to do this,

with a couple of exceptions.

Here’s what I’ve got so far ...

Server name = Nokia
Server ID = Nokia
Server password = firmupservpass
Access point = [My wireless access  point]

Host address = https://dms.update.nokia.com/dms/omadm
Port = 443
User name = nokiams
Password = nokiamspass
Allow configuration = Yes

Network authentication = No

But, when I try to go Back and save this, I get the message, “Some settings are compulsory and must be defined. Server profile not saved. Exit anyway?”.

This seems to be because there is yet another setting which must be defined. If you set Network Authentication to Yes, two more settings appear, Network User Name and Network Password. It seems that Network User Name needs to be defined, even if Network Authentication is set to No, and it isn’t displayed.

I now have ...

Network authentication = Yes

Network user name = Must be defined

Network password = ++++

So, I have just two questions. What’s the Network User Name? What’s the Network Password?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Re: 5800 XpressMusic Firmware Update

Two points:

1. The 5800 was enabled for FOTA from the very first firmware version it was released with.

2. The only thing you need for a FOTA update is a working data connection - wifi is better, obviously, but mobile date can also be used. Then you run the Software update app on your 5800 and you are done. FOTA does not happen automatically, you still have to do it manually.

You can get the settings you require for mobile data from your network operator.

The settings for WiFi access depend on the network you are trying to access.

You can also still use Nokia PC Suite to update your handset.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mail79287

Enabled to do something and actually doing it are not necessarily the same thing.

Why would I want details from my mobile network operator? I don’t use my mobile for internet access. I’ve got better things to do when I’m out and about.  So, why have you mentioned this, when you know full well that I’m connecting  over my home wireless network? (I refuse to use the term “wifi”: it has nothing to do with “fidelity”.)

Anyway, once past the router, it’s still the internet.  So, what’s the difference between updating my phone with connected wirelessly to the router and update my phone with it plugged into my laptop and this connected wirelessly to my router?

If users still have to manually update their firmware, then Nokia don’t seem to be utilising FOTA to its full potential.  Indeed, why change? But, that’s their problem, not mine.

Nokia Suite only updates to v.51.0.006. That’s why I’m running this version at the time of writing. I’ve just downloaded it again, and it’s still running v.51.0.006.  The only updates available are Gig Finder, Internet Radio and an Update for Facebook. No, thank you.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

When you check thru' your phone..is it showing any availability of the Update ..?

Dial *#0000# then Options-->Check for updates ..and it should show as seen in the attachment ..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

mail79287 wrote:I don’t use my mobile for internet access. I’ve got better things to do when I’m out and about.  So, why have you mentioned this, when you know full well that I’m connecting  over my home wireless network?

Anyway, once past the router, it’s still the internet.  So, what’s the difference between updating my phone with connected wirelessly to the router and update my phone with it plugged into my laptop and this connected wirelessly to my router?

If users still have to manually update their firmware, then Nokia don’t seem to be utilising FOTA to its full potential.  Indeed, why change? But, that’s their problem, not mine.

Nokia Suite only updates to v.51.0.006. That’s why I’m running this version at the time of writing. I’ve just downloaded it again, and it’s still running v.51.0.006.  The only updates available are Gig Finder, Internet Radio and an Update for Facebook. No, thank you.

You seriously overestimate my ability to track your activities or read your mind. Nowhere in your original post do you state what connection you are using.

I also could not have been aware that you are totally ignorant of the difference between updating your phone directly FOTA or through Nokia Suite. I don't have the time to go into details right now, however these are the basics - the size of the data transferred OTA is much smaller than the update via PC and the FOTA update is packaged in a different way. I will to try to simplify this further for you - the FOTA update only updates the parts of your firmware which are changed and the update via PC writes a complete new firmware image over the existing one in your handset. The two types of updates are distributed by different channels, which explains why some updates become available first on one channel and then follow on the other.

There isn't a single mobile manufacturer who forces updates OTA to their products automatically without user input - which seems to be your incorrect understanding of the term. So you can call it updating manually, as long as the rest of us understand what you actually mean.

It is quite possible that there is no update available for your specific handset, regardless of it being released for other versions. Maybe if you share your product code here we could shed more light on the issue. You can find said product code on the label under the battery and it will be in the format 05xxxxx.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mail79287

Dear Farby,

I get the “Connection to internet needed. Normal data call costs may apply. Connect?” message.

This was unexpected, as I thought that I’d set the phone up to use my wireless LAN. It uses this for Maps updates, although the least said about the penultimate one the better.  

Being cursed with an enquiring mind, I’ve just tapped Yes.  It reported back “No updates available”.  

I have no possible comment to make at this time.  At least, not one that would guarantee that this post would still be here for you to read.  

Dear 93tid,

“Access point = [My wireless access  point]”. 

My understanding of  the abbreviation “FOTA” was based upon this ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOTA_(technology)

... and specifically the bit, “FOTA also allows manufacturers and operators to "push out” firmware upgrades to ensure that mobile consumers have the latest software improvements, which reduces potential customer support costs and increases consumer satisfaction.”

The product code is 0552438.

If v51.0.006 really is the best firmware that Nokia condescend to let me to use, then who am I to argue? I’m only a customer, after all. It’s no wonder that the company is in such a parlous state.  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

Since you do not want to use Mobile Data but the WiFi  select the Offline profile first.. then perform the check .. When select OK for “Connection to internet needed. Normal data call costs may apply. Connect?” .. next it should ask whether to use the WLAN connection as seen in the Attachment. 

..and you do not get to see any availability of update because it depends on Product Code / Region. Also, for Network locked devices, update is possible only after an approval from the Operator. If you search this Forum you will know that a lot many no. of users haven't got the last update that was released almost 1-1/2 year ago..and in all probability will not get also after such a long time ...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

This product code should be able to receive the 60.0.003 update. I cannot guess remotely what is the reason you are not getting it. If you have a conveniently located Nokia Care Point you could ask them to update it for you.

The less said about the laughable article on Wiki about FOTA the better.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mail79287

Dear Farby,

I tried the Offline profile and it also came back, “No updates available”.

The phone isn’t locked to any network. It was originally on T-Mobile and I’ve switched SIMs to ASDA Mobile/Vodafone. 

I just wondered whether the latest firmware might help with the annoying intermittent fault with my screen and prevent me having to replace it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

As mentioned the reason may be the Product Code ..

Anyway..Have you tried re-installing the current Firmware ? or a much drastic step of Soft Resetting by dialing *#7370# ? Be warned that the reset will erase all data from the phone memory so back-up data beforehand if you decide to try that ...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mail79287

According to 93tid, the product code supports v60 firmware.
I've tried re-downloading the firmware, but I can only do this via PC Suite, and I still only get v51.

I'll do a backup and try the soft reset. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

Oh! Sorry for missing that point regarding the Product Code. As a last resort, you may contact your local Nokia Care and check if they can update the Firmware ...

BTW, the reset suggested was to see if the problem regarding the screen gets resolved. You may still get stuck with the v51 though ..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mail79287

Me again.

Backup, soft reset and restore done.

My one and only downloaded app' had gone off with the fairies, but it was free and easily re-downloaded.

It's still running v51. Another update done via PC Suite and it's still on v51. Another update done on the phone and still no update available.

We tried our best.

Time will tell about the screen fault.

The firmware update was not only because it's nice to be running the latest firmware but also to see if v60 sorted the screen fault, which prevents me from receiving calls.

However, I'm not convinced that it's a firmware problem. I'd been running v51 for ages before the screen first went faulty.

It did this in the last spell of very cold weather, when I was sitting in a very cold car, waiting for the recovery truck, because my old battery had just failed to start the car. In view of this, I've put it down to the cold somehow affecting the LCD screen. And it does seem to happen more often when it's cold.

Unfortunately, carrying your phone around under your armpit to keep it warm isn't really an available option. You keep losing it down your shirt.

If the fault does continue, I'll buy and fit a new screen. I'm a retired computer technician, so this holds no terror for me.

A Nokia Care Point also isn't really an option, as the phone is well out of warranty.

Please use plain text.