Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: ANNA US NOW!!!!!

Sage
timmyjo

EXACTLTY, in the Android world, unsubsidized is the KING. We should all get the updates on day one. NOT by country. I didn't really consider this when making my "rotating country" comment. High end Nokias are almost never subsidized in the US, just their "disposable phones". I have no idea how this works in the rest of the world. So, there are people that paid hardly anything for their N8s and got the latest update before people like myself (US or otherwise) who paid full price? That's just plain wrong.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CameronS

I can imagine a whole pile of reasons why the US versions are delayed, starting with:

• your GSM frequencies are different to the rest of the world requiring possibly different hardware, or at least different/extra testing on existing hardware
  • your spelling is different meaning that the user interface has to be customised, changed and tested throughout

Not sure how many times Nokia have to tell you guys that 'head office' doesn't make the decisions on when local versions are released - it's the local offices or the local operators. Why don't you direct your enquiries there (you sure are sounding like a bunch of sore losers, who are being treated no differently to any other country, but are upset because you're not being treated specially...).

The countries that have had the courage to release local dates are suggesting mid to late September. Why would you think the US is any different?

Cameron

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jparrot99

I have an US product code N8 (059D0V2). Bought from a German web page (Expansys) and used in Germany. (no idea why they sent me a US variant N8, guess that's just what was available.

So I can assure you the GSM frequencies built into the hardware of the phone are not different. N8 is a pentaband phone, the hardware is the same in all regions. OK a little extra testing for the US - that it works on the US GSM bands as well as the EU pentabands, but they surely have tested that already - Germans also travel to the US with their N8s and they would be pretty annoyed if they didn't work there.

I am a British English speaker, and I would have noticed if there was any US English spelling on the phone, so I don't think there's much customisation there.

I'd be happy to wait for this update if they could give us a date - as they did for the previous one (1.2?). I've read all sorts of things from it's not coming to the US product codes at all to it'll come by December (so when do we get Belle!!!).

Jose

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Anvicas

I hope soon Anna will be release in US.

I have a N8 (product code 059C8T6) and i'n still waiting for the update.
N8 - 059C8T6 -> Waiting for Anna
Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

Week # 3......

Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

Is it now the beginning of week #4?

Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

Starting week #5.....

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

[ Edited ]

To be honest reading thru the thread its a wonder Nokia gives you lot anything. maybe if you read Skyee's posts, you would understand where we all are at. here is a copy of skyee's last post. you can see the date here, and you will quickly see that the US have not been forgotten and are not the last country to get the update at this stage. Have a read.

15-Sep-201110:05 AM

I guess you've seen my latest announcement of the countries we've just published. So, if you are in Italy, Taiwan or Turkey, you can have a look for your updates. :smileyhappy:

- Australia, US & Canada are still open - we're working on the software & I'll inform you once we have Symbian Anna published (this also accounts for everybody who bought his phone in one of those countries but now lives somewhere else)

- Saudi Arabia, 059G023: As mentioned in the last posts, our local team is working on that one

- 059B899: This one is a so called "swap" phone, please check with your local Nokia Carepoint as that's the only way to get the update for those type of variants. Thanks!

- 059D8G5 N8 Hungary: The update is already available - please check in OviSuite or via the software update client in your phone.

- 059D8C7 Tele2Croatia: We're still waiting for Tele2 approval

- 059D8F1 Tmobile UK: Update is available - but only via OviSuite as UK doesn't offer Symbian Anna over the air

- 059C951 Tesco UK: We're chasing Tesco/O2 on a daily basis at the moment for approval...

- 059G2H8 Argentina: We've just published the last outstanding Argentina variants - have a try now...

- 059D847 Movistar Spain: We're still trying to convince Telefonica to approve Symbian Anna asap

pS: Symbian Anna is not available for the X6 (059C2Q6).

(And for the update troubleshooting, please check the corresponding thread. Thanks!)

pS: One little comment where I can't resist answering.... Unfortunately the below statement doesn't match reality - even for such an important release like Anna & Belle. (And who has had a look at my announcements in the last weeks will see quite quickly that we don't wait until each and every operator in a country has approved the update, before we go live.)

First of all, this is an update for the phone. Not a big thing. Almost every operator will approve this update if Nokia has sent the update files and/or Anna installed phone.

One of the main reasons for the delays in Austrlalia, USA and Canada, is that networks are very different from the rest of the world. So when Nokia adds to anna to make fully compatible with the networks in each of these countrys, its more of a major job, whereas many other countries have more similar networks and so the code only has to be made slightly different from another country. So in effect they can copy more of the code from one country to the next. This is only one of the main reasons. but honestly people i really cant see what the big hassle is, why is it so important to have it right this second.  Whilst it is a major upgrade to your phone, its really not going to change your lives. With the amount of whinging and whining going on, you will all have high blood pressure, and have a heart attack by worrying about it, before you even get a chance to get the upgrade.

Please use plain text.
rwc1968

I paid full price when the phone came out,and I don't have the update....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Don_lukie

Relax guys, The US is not the only country that is still waiting for Anna to be released to.

When it happens it happens

Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

Relax? Like Nokia as they fall from #1 to .......

I also have an Android phone. They've pretty much taken that #1 spot. My last update (subsidized phone) came within a few days from AT&T, less than a month AFTER unsubsidized. I paid 1/3 the $ (of N8) for my Atrix.

ALL (not only USA) unsubsidized should already have ANNA.

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

timmyjo wrote:

Relax? Like Nokia as they fall from #1 to .......

I also have an Android phone. They've pretty much taken that #1 spot. My last update (subsidized phone) came within a few days from AT&T, less than a month AFTER unsubsidized. I paid 1/3 the $ (of N8) for my Atrix.

ALL (not only USA) unsubsidized should already have ANNA.

Firstly Andriod based phones are quickly becoming known as the one of the most hack mobile phones. Secondly Nokia still sell the most phones, even when you add the andriod based phones and the apple phones together, on a world wide basis.

Lastly who fault is it really that you decided to buy an un-subsidized phone. You believe that a phone, that is unbranded and unlocked should get the update when its not even finished in your country yet, so you felt you should buy a phone like that. So in reality this is not a nokia based issue that YOU choose to buy an unsibsidized phone, so dont complain about the price. Obviously the price was fine when you bought it or were you conned in to buying it. I'm quite sure Nokia never said that you would get the update any sooner or for that matter even when the USA itself would be able to get the update. They said that it would be rolled out in august and it is being rolled and it did start in august.

Anna has to be regionalised before it can be installed, because the networks across the world are NOT the same. The phones might have the same hardware but the firmware is written differently for the various countries. Whether you choose to believe this fact or not is also nobodies fault but yours, you only have to read all the posts made by the staff at nokia, such as Skyee's to see that this is the case

Most (but not all), andriod based phones are basically regionalised by the carriers, so when they make any changes they are only making those changes for their network, so its easy to roll it out to their customers. Nokia makes their firmware for the world and then have to make it suit the inidividual countries. and thats why it takes longer. and as Skyee's last post said they dont wait till all carriers have signed off on it, as soon as a carrier does give the ok, then they release for that carrier.

If you didnt even know Anna was coming, i'm sure you wouldnt have an issue, or if you had just bought your phone and the update showed up a week or 2 later, then you would think Nokia was the greatest, as it is simple becuase you heard it was coming, you have got yourself all tied up in knots about it.when in reality its not going to change you life, except that you will have some different icons to look at and maybe a slightly browser to use, the rest of the changes you wont even notice most likely.  So sit back and relax for a bit. and stop stirring, Anyone would think you were sent here from another manufacturer to create trouble.

Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

WOW, you have a lot of issues......

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

timmyjo wrote:

WOW, you have a lot of issues......

I dont have any issues with anna rollout. As far as I am concerned it gets here when it gets here. Like everyone I like something new, but i want it to work. But i dont think the rest of the world has complained anything like the people in the USA threads have. And personally I dont see why you all seem to think that you should have it any earlier than anybody else.

Counting up the weeks like you have is just ridiculous, it wont change when you get it, nor will it change when Nokia finally release it in the USA or Australia. All you are doing is stirring people up for no damn good reason. Why is it so hard to just be patient.

Have a look at ther following link which will give you some indication as to why carriers need to check and test it. http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/phones/smartphones.html#tab-spf

Here you can see that Telstra Australia had received Anna, tested it and found that there was an issue, it then went back to Nokia who fixed the issue and sent it back to telstra in august and now telstra are expecting to release in september. Its most probable that Telstra had the anna upgrade in July for testing. But without Telstra testing it we could all have had a firmware that had an issue with the emergency call facilty in the phone. I would hate to be desperate for help and try to call for an ambulance etc only to find that the phone didnt work properly. Especially when lives can rely on getting help urgently.

And to think all you care about is getting Anna because you bought an unbranded phone or paid full price etc. It goes to show what value you place on those around you. NONE.

Now sit back, relax, and think about how great it will be to get something that has already been tested by the rest of the world for YOU.  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Anna for the US in couple of weeks...
discussions.nokia-asia.com/t5/Software-Updates/Symbian-Anna-live-in-4-more-countries-Week37-launch-wave/td-p/1150995
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

blitzkid wrote:
Anna for the US in couple of weeks...
discussions.nokia-asia.com/t5/Software-Updates/Symbian-Anna-live-in-4-more-countries-Week37-launch-wave/td-p/1150995

well being that was only posted last week on the 15th, it shouldnt be long now for the USA and Australia. another 2-3 weeks will be easy for everyone to wait, I'm sure.

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

Why so cranky jraduga?

Please use plain text.
Sage
jamesvini

Becasue it seems you dont actually read what he is saying and just comment anyway.

"Freedom is the only way, yeah!"
Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

Week #6 is under way......

Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

And now for week #7. I think it took less time to build the space shuttle.......

Please use plain text.