Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Alert For Old Sim Cards

Counsellor
finesseben

Alert For Old Sim Cards

Nokia should include a feature in their new phones(symbian Belle,windows phone etc.) which will alert owners of new nokia phones that their phones may not function properly because of old sim card inserted in the phone. The feature should also urge such owners to change their sims to new one for optimum performance of their device. This could solve the issue of frequent restarting of phones,missing contacts etc. Often Associated with inserting old sim cards in symbian 3/anna/belle phones.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

Are you suggesting a simple pop-up message that appears when first configuring the phone? I have seen some of the same threads about sim card issues, and think that's an intriguing idea. Or do you mean something more technical, having the phone scan the card for compatibility, if that's even possible. I am very curious what legacy code Nokia removed from the Symbian^3/Anna/Belle firmware to cause these issues in the first place. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
finesseben

I hope nokia listens
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

I have not seen any issues with 'old sim cards'. How old are you talking. Mine for instance, i know is more than 10 years old with the same carrier all that time, (in fact been with them something like 15 years). It has moved wih me from my 5110 into 9110, 9210,9500,e90,e7 and maybe more in between I dont really remember all the phones. Is this issue only with the really new phones, like the windows phones and phones with Belle preinstalled, or does it occur with N8/E7 onwards.

I think if you want Nokia to change something then you might need to be more specific about the models your are referring to (obviously windows phones will only be the 2 models available, but what about the belle phones). Is it all of them or only the current ones with pre-installed belle.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bumblebirra

Some people regularly swap simcards around. Maybe simple wear and tear leads to unreliability. Maybe some phones are vulnerable to a less than perfect condition of the gold plated contacts. Customers should be advised in the phone packaging perhaps, that physically worn-out sim cards could cause reliability issues.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
finesseben

I bet you that most nokia phone users do not read the manuals that comes with their phone. I believe a pop-up info on the screen will do the trick.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

finesseben wrote:
I bet you that most nokia phone users do not read the manuals that comes with their phone. I believe a pop-up info on the screen will do the trick.
Perhaps a pop up manual when you first turn on a new phone and which you have to read right through before the phone will work would be a help for you?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Reading an entire manual on the first start up of the phone may turn off the user, who may either be very eager to use the new phone or who may be urgently switching phones. A compulsory read would be good, but be it a clear and short message rather than an entire manual, with the option to access the manual later on.
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

I agree that worn out sim cards could certainly cause a problem, but surely this would also apply to other manufacturers as well. If Nokia was the only one putting up such a "pop-up' or Message, then would it not cause the new owner to wonder just how good the nokia phone really is.

I know for instance if i buy something in a box and the sales staff say, "keep the box incase you need to send it for repair", I instantly wonder if the product i just bought is any good.

I know also when i bought my E7, there really isnt much of a manual that comes with it, sure it covers all the basic things, but the rest of the manual is in the phone, and I hate looking it up, I feel like I am just going around in circles, when i cant find the info i was looking for.

Something else if you forced people to agree to having read the manual, i know exactly what they would do, they would move to the bottom of the manual as fast as they can without reading a single character then tick they have read the manual. And they would still not know anything and all the same issues would still occur.

IMO, A popup or initial message would create doubt in the new owners mind about Nokia right from the word go, remembering that people always look at their glass being half empty instead of half full. And we all know what we do when presented with terms and conditions on things like websites, we just agree and never ever read.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

:-) Well said... I for one first check the size to be read. If its small, will read through, but these days the terms and conditions are rarely small... :-)
blitZkid
Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

blitzkid wrote:
Reading an entire manual on the first start up of the phone may turn off the user, who may either be very eager to use the new phone or who may be urgently switching phones. A compulsory read would be good, but be it a clear and short message rather than an entire manual, with the option to access the manual later on.

You do not seem to realise that as a result of the silly suggestion to have pop ups I was just being sarcastic.

It is beyond my comprehension that anyone would think my suggestion that the manual had to be read before the phone would work was a serious one :smileysurprised: .

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

:-) Feeling embarrassed now... Anyway, really didn't notice the sarcasm there.
blitZkid
Please use plain text.