Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Belle and battery life

Contributor
WillowGTi

Yvonne - Ive found my problem.  It is definitely BlueTooth.  If I leave my bluetooth on, My phone drains battery so fast its incredible.  The phone gets warm and battery percentage starts dropping dramatically.  This was not the case with Anna. 

Can you please let me know if someone is looking into this?  I use Bluetooth to connect to my car so I would need it on quite a bit.

Thank you in advance.

Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

[ Edited ]

I'm getting a little fed-up of charging my N8 every 12 hours that I've now resorted to turning it off entirely. What the good is that?

I had a perfectly good N8 before Sunday. If I hadn't suspiciously lost the ability to send text messages, I wouldn't have had to update to Belle, and I would still have a usable handset where the headphones work and battery lasts for days!

It's gotten to the point where I'm actually afraid to use the internet or make a phone call for fear of my battery dying after a few minutes of use! What good is a phone where I can't use a phone call, or where the battery doesn't even last a full working day?

EVEN MORE FRUSTRATING IS THAT IT USED TO BEFORE BELLE!

Moderators notes: Profanity removed.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bumblebirra

I don't think a phone is worth having a nervous breakdown over.
Did you do a hard reset before updating? If not, maybe that's worth trying. If that doesn't work then maybe it's time for a new phone?
Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Uhmmm... I will try this one!

noki2000 wrote:

TracyC wrote:
Update: I let my phone run compleately flat before recharging. Since then I'm at 60% after 23 hours of normal use. I didn't knowingly change anything.

I'll try this one.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!!!

Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

[ Edited ]

childofthewo_mj wrote:

Uhmmm... indeed promising! I will try this and kill my battery before I charge.

FYI, I plugged my phone the first time at 2.4% charge left, and the second at 2.1%. That's when the phone became a little laggy.

Hope this goes well for you.

Cheers!!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Thank you again @SKYEE@ Also ask about the

- missing calendar agenda widget

- exchange activesync being able to support multiple exchange accounts

-- Definitely, this battery issue is a must fix. I have drained my battery and will see tomorrow after it charges.

skyee wrote:

HI!

I've forwarded this one for investigation now and we'll create an FAQ as soon as possible.

BR<

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

The fact of the matter is, WE SOULDN'T HAVE TO!

We shouldn't have to: perform resetting tricks!

We shouldn't have to: turn off our widgets!

We shouldn't have to: turn off our connections!

We shouldn't have to: exercise efficient use of our handsets!

We shouldn't have to: charge our handset twice a day!

We shouldn't have to: come onto an internet forum to complain about problems that shouldn't exist in the first place!

As I said before, WE NEVER USED TO!

When we update our software, we expect it to work, first time, and without fail. We don't expect to have all of these problems, and especially don't expect to be told that we can't operate our handset in the same way we were used to doing previously!

After updating to Belle we're now told that we have to switch everything off to preserve the battery. Where it used to last for a few days with average use and various things turned on, it will now barely last a day if we're lucky with almost everything switched off. How is that a fair trade? How is this an improvement? How can Belle be considered an update, when it's made things worse?

What was once a perfectly usable handset, is now next to useless. Even though I'm due a new handset soon, I was planning on sticking with my N8 because I liked it so much, but that plan has changed somewhat and now I'm going to have to be forced to downgrade to a Lumia

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Interesting point here!

krishgetz wrote:
I too find that the battery life is a bit shorter. But not bad; after reading all the reports of the Lumia issues.

Yesterday; the first day after the upgrade to Belle, the phone discharged in 1 day. I noticed that I had kept the wi-fi ON.

Today, I've kept it off and the battery has gone to 69% as of now on my usual usage. With Anna; by this time that charge would have been close to 80%. So Belle does take a bit more juice than Anna.

This brings me to another con of belle. The wi-fi has to be manually switched on and off. Earlier with Anna, I used to keep it off and the moment I use an application that needs the net, it looks for a know WLAN (which was the setting I used) and then switches back off when I was done with it.

I used to get 2+ days of charge with Anna on my E7

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

I agree... I was looking for that setting for a long long time...

varfolomey wrote:

We need "Wifi scaning off" setting back
This is a must

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

@TracyC, with this result Was Wifi and Mobile Data "On"?

TracyC wrote:
Update: I let my phone run compleately flat before recharging. Since then I'm at 60% after 23 hours of normal use. I didn't knowingly change anything.

I am testing your method... could be some battery calibration issue.

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Sounds promising... I am doing the same right now.. Phone is completely dead, off and recharging. Goign to recharge it for 1 whole day.... see what happens.

talhatayyab wrote:
i let the phone completely discharge and recharge to 100%, making sure i deactivate power saving mode when it starts to recharge. The phone seems to be performing better. 80% remaining after 12hrs minimal use. I left it on charging through the night. Mobile data is on. Email checking after every 30 mins headers only. Auto software update check off. No social widgets. Two homescreens. No apps running in the background.

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

New BBC RSS and Weather Widget? Where?

chazey2 wrote:

Some thing strange here, since upgrading to Belle my phone spends an hour connected (bluetooth) to the car hands free, approx 11 hours a day bluetooth headset making/reciving 15-20 calls a day has reminder and recording software running in the background all the time,

I spend approx 1 hour a day at work connected via WIFI sometimes downloading 20-30 mb. I have the six screens all very bright backgrounds I'm on social and have the new rss BBC and weather widgets running whilst on WIFI and at the end of a 12 'shift' for my phone I have used approx 25% of battery.

One thing I have always done, goes way back in the day to when you had to condition a phone battery is to about once a month let my battery discharge fully (dead) and then re-charge fully.

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Thanks for this POST!

I was thinking of putting the WiFi widget on home screen to make On/Off easier because I suspected that WiFi to On in Notifications means WiFi Scanning is On....

varfolomey wrote:

make sure you don`t have wireless widget on a homescreen. when on a homescreen, it activates wi-fi auto scanning. it is safe to switch wi-fi on from drop down menu, it will only scan and connect when a connection needs to be initiated

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

I will test this too! Thanks for sharing...

VitosX wrote:

VitosX wrote:

Just noticed one detail I decided to check - Maps application settings after update defaulted to use "maps improvement program" (I don't know how exactly it is named in English, it is the last option in Settings - Navigation). 

Looks everything is back to normal now. After 29 hours (standby, 30 minutes call, GSM only, wifi on, bluetooth used only for few minutes) battery is still at 70%. :smileyhappy:

I am not completely sure what helped, but:

• I disabled "maps improvement"
  • I uninstalled Communicator, as I don't need it (and haven't launched it even once)
  • I let the battery to die completely (took about 28h, phone turned off) and recharged it fully before turning on the phone

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

No! No Hard Reset! Having to re-install apps is already a PAIN!

WillowGTi wrote:
I did the reset as well and it seems to be working a lot better.

I agree with you, the Battery Monitor is completely useless. Ive actually witnessed the rating go up while NOT charging! Looking at your battery level in the top right is the best indication. The percentage on the battery Monitor widget is a joke!

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

gTranslator...

http://store.ovi.com/content/155556

bumblebirra wrote:
I would love to have a translator app that could convert "txt msg" lingo into proper English.

Wher wil i find dis? i cudn't find it aywher

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Sorry... what? What did you do to fix?

mse_ wrote:

Thanks

things seem to have returned to normal, and my phone isn't chewing through 5MB/hr of data anymore. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Soft reset, *#7780# or *#7370#

Or where is this option you chose?

CockyTas wrote:
I was having issues with the battery. I don't have screensaver on etc. It only last me approx 19hours and since I soft reset it(restore factory setting without deleting the data) and my battery is now lasting me 3 days without any change. I have also put the settings and widget back to how I normally have it. I'm on Nokia N8 Belle. Give it a try people and let me know if your battery has improved alot.

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

nvee wrote:

Similar long thread for battery issue came up after Anna update..

After much research, solved it by hard reset and flashing the firmware by myself...my phone was out of warranty anyways..so took the plunge... 

Same here (Nokia Care in Denmark is just a phone number nowadays) and Belle is stable and reliable. I miss a lot of stuff from Anna (and remote drive!) but that's another story.

The scary thing is that the developers of Belle may have done a good job, while at the same time an unknown number of customers have upgraded their phones through Nokia Suite as recommended, and are left with frustrations and poorly performing devices.

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
chazey2

childofthewo_mj wrote:

New BBC RSS and Weather Widget? Where?

chazey2 wrote:

Some thing strange here, since upgrading to Belle my phone spends an hour connected (bluetooth) to the car hands free, approx 11 hours a day bluetooth headset making/reciving 15-20 calls a day has reminder and recording software running in the background all the time,

I spend approx 1 hour a day at work connected via WIFI sometimes downloading 20-30 mb. I have the six screens all very bright backgrounds I'm on social and have the new rss BBC and weather widgets running whilst on WIFI and at the end of a 12 'shift' for my phone I have used approx 25% of battery.

One thing I have always done, goes way back in the day to when you had to condition a phone battery is to about once a month let my battery discharge fully (dead) and then re-charge fully.

The new widgets and many custom ones are out there such as semi transparent weather, music player etc also a much improved digi clock that you can see the date on.

They require a hack of your phone that I cannot disscuss here.

I too like a couple of others flashed .607 belle and then upgraded normally through suite to the offical .609. The flashing completely wipes the phone clean perhaps this is why I have no power issues? (people saying soft reset helps)? Don't know but I've never had any issues with either version of Belle.

Referance the person saying about home screen WIFI widget I don't find this so tested opening data requiring apps and it would appear that the WIFI is off when the widget is off as I cannot connect until I switch to on ie. scanning!

Please use plain text.