Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Belle and battery life

Counsellor
i10075

I noticed the same issue as well with my N8. The battery life became anoingly shorter after Belle update.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
VitosX

[ Edited ]

mse_ wrote:

Thanks

things seem to have returned to normal, and my phone isn't chewing through 5MB/hr of data anymore. 

childofthewo_mj wrote:

Sorry... what? What did you do to fix?

mse_ disabled maps improvement. It should be clear if you read post he answered to...

PS. Don't you think writing reply after quote is more readable? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mibam80

Hi everyone, why does the backlight did not go dim on standby? Could this eat up battery juice as well?
Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

mibam80 wrote:
Hi everyone, why does the backlight did not go dim on standby? Could this eat up battery juice as well?

Definitely yes. You can configure this going to menu, configuration, screen.

Good luck.

Cheers!!!

Please use plain text.
johngrN8

After upgrading to Belle my N8's battery life expanded and I didnt noticed any kind of warm in the backside of the phone

Note: iam using NetQin antivirus since Anna upgrade which has an option to see what apps are running in the background and close whatever app you want ,an also an option to see what apps are running at startup and dismiss the one ones you dont want to  open. Maybe that helped my N8

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hitesh_m670

Hi all, before updating my C7 to belle i had already read all the issues that these 'updated' phones are having. So two days back, i went to a nokia care center in my area and i asked them to update my phone, unlike all other users who did it using pc suite. I thought it a good idea. On the first day the battery was draining badly, might be because i was playing with a new toy. The second day, the battery worked fine, as it used to work with anna. I was using 4 home screens, three were blank with no widgets or shortcuts, the main screen had a big clock widget and 4 shortcuts, background was dark, no screensaver, 0% (minimum) brightness, mobile data was 'on' all the time, few calls, whatsapp was used frequently, an hour music on earphones, i dont like power saving mode and it was off. My phone worked more than 24 hours with a full charge, like it was with anna. Battery monitor doesn't works with belle as it showed me the same amount of remaining battery everytime. I use 'app stop' to kill all background apps except 'all wrt widgets' and 'qt app booster'.

Looking at the responce of people on battery issue, an official word from nokia would be nice, accepting and fixing mistakes is not bad. One suggestion to nokia: i'd love to see the status on renaining battery, so battery info in pulldown would be great!

Im not too sure if it'll help, but you can try to get your phone updated thru nokia care center, bacause it has worked for me. The'll install belle on your phone from the scratch. If you're doing so, dont forget to backup all your data.
Hope it works for you!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hitesh_m670

'App stop' has been removed from ovi store, so you've to download it from somewhere else. I googled for it and got it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Satokeny

I did a soft reset and yesterday i charge battery at 80% ( I was at work ) the I used music player since 18:00 until 23:00 battery was at 20% at 01:00 a charge it at 5% ( First Bell when battery is Low )

At same Time 3G Connection, Whatsapp, email, Browsing internet

So I think it's fine...

I'm testing again today, only in standby, wifi 3g and wahtsapp, I'll check battery status :smileyhappy:))) ( was disconnected from charger at 09:30, right now 14:14 battery appear 90%)

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

:smileyhappy:

I drained my battery as @TracyC suggested. in Post #46.

Charged it powered off for more than 12 hours, 20 hours to be exact before powering on.

When I booted it up. 

Turned off, Maps Improvement (Did not notice this before when setting up Maps)

Turned off, Automatic Software Update Checking

BINGO.

I played with my phone.

- Set up and listened to Internet Radio a Bit

- Played with Smart Office

- Played with VLingo

- Updated Nokia Store to 3.22.054 using WiFi

- Made a few calls

- Sent & received 2 text messages

- rebooted once (because reboot consumes a lot mor power)

- left it alone...

From 9PM to 5:13AM, , my battery level is still at 89%, the way I left it around 12 Midnight.

WiFi & Mobile Data = On. WiFi Power Saving Setting = Enabled.

------------------------

So indeed this might work, yeah?

;-)

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

childofthewo_mj wrote:

Charged it powered off for more than 12 hours, 20 hours to be exact before powering on.

When I booted it up. 

BINGO.

I played with my phone.

- Played with VLingo

- Made a few calls

- left it alone...

From 9PM to 5:13AM, , my battery level is still at 89%, the way I left it around 12 Midnight.

------------------------

;-)

POSTSCRIPT:

I played Internet Radio on Extremely LOUD Volume streaming on 3G, with Bluetooth on...

Played 30 Minutes or more, from 24% to 10%, about normal. My phone is still alive. I'll see how it goes for the day, at least it is not constantly draining (1% every few minutes until dead) just right after the update!

;-)

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

GOOD NEWS REPORT :smileyhappy:

childofthewo_mj wrote:

childofthewo_mj wrote:

When I booted it up. 

BINGO.

I played with my phone.

- Played with VLingo

- Made a few calls

- left it alone...

------------------------

;-)

POSTSCRIPT:

I played Internet Radio on Extremely LOUD Volume streaming on 3G, with Bluetooth on...

Played 30 Minutes or more, from 24% to 10%, about normal. My phone is still alive. I'll see how it goes for the day, at least it is not constantly draining (1% every few minutes until dead) just right after the update!

;-)

Since about 8:30am this morning, the phone's battery was sitting at 10%; it is 11:46 now, the phone is still alive and kicking at 6% the battery life. Going to see how this lasts.... ;-)

Back before I did the steps above as "recommended in Message 46 of this post and turning off Maps Improvement", the phone would never have lived at 10% charge. It would already have died in less than 30 minutes...

Hence, this is a good sign. Follow Message #46 of this Post and also check your Maps Improvement under Maps > Options > Settings > Drive -- It should be OFF!

;-)

Thanks @TracyC & @_mse for encouraging methods to follow. I did not have to do a Soft Reset nor a Hard Reset which I dread. I already had to reinstall a bunch of apps and redo all my configs.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MSK9

Same problem here with the battery capacity on my N8-00.

Drained very fast, without very intense use. Phone was dead two times without notice. Beeped for almost empty battery, but within seconds: dead.

The most draining seems to be "background" according to battery monitor 2.2.

Now done the following things:

Set display brightness 0%

Display timeout 5sec

Bluetooth off

mob. data off (only on when outside)

Wi-Fi on (need to sync email)

Maps improvement program off

Deleted nokia microsoft communicator

Installed APP OFF ( http://mobitechsolution.com/tag/download-app-stop-for-symbian-belle/ ) download to computer / ovi suit on / double click App Stop.sis /continue install on phone

APP OFF showed a lot op programs running in the background (that did not show when holding the menu button). It seems that programs like "messages" keep running in the background even when you close them with the menu shutdown/close.

With App Off you can close all the programs running in the background.

Seems to do the trick for now. Thus far in 4 hours of little use(few texts & email sync (2 accounts)) it is at 96% .....

Please use plain text.
Professor
malange007

battery life ... just shut everything off and you will have a better battery life... Thats what nokia wants i guess
Join my movement to bring a change in NOKIA for good by supporting my FORUM
http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Eseries-and-Communicators/NOKIA-MODERATORS-ONLY/td-p/1318965
Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a very good application called Energy Profiler, it is available for free in the shop.

The Nokia Energy Profiler is an application that enables developers and device users to examine power consumption and several other parameters on S60 devices.

See full description here:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Tools_and_downloads/Other/Nokia_Energy_Profiler/Quick_start...

My N8 drains the battery within less than one day, even when it not being used at all. According to Energy Profiler it consumes around 70mA in powersave mode and around 140mA with the display switched on.

I spend a full week now and tested every workaround without success. On Monday I will send it to Nokia to get it fixed or replaced,

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MSK9

With the setup below, it's been more than 24h since the last full charge and I'm at 75% now with light usage. Still "background" uses most of the battery.
I did however regularly use App Off to close programs running in the background.

MSK9 wrote:

Same problem here with the battery capacity on my N8-00.

Drained very fast, without very intense use. Phone was dead two times without notice. Beeped for almost empty battery, but within seconds: dead.

The most draining seems to be "background" according to battery monitor 2.2.

Now done the following things:

Set display brightness 0%

Display timeout 5sec

Bluetooth off

mob. data off (only on when outside)

Wi-Fi on (need to sync email)

Maps improvement program off

Deleted nokia microsoft communicator

Installed APP OFF ( http://mobitechsolution.com/tag/download-app-stop-for-symbian-belle/ ) download to computer / ovi suit on / double click App Stop.sis /continue install on phone

APP OFF showed a lot op programs running in the background (that did not show when holding the menu button). It seems that programs like "messages" keep running in the background even when you close them with the menu shutdown/close.

With App Off you can close all the programs running in the background.

Seems to do the trick for now. Thus far in 4 hours of little use(few texts & email sync (2 accounts)) it is at 96% .....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bart76

hi.i charge my phone yesterday about 21:30,and by 7:00am this morning, battery was empty!!!!!

i did't use it ,cos i was in my bed...

my alarm was set  for 8:30...late for work>>>

need to buy a different alarm,cos my nokia cant survive one night!!!!

SHOCKED

PS:my n8 on anna was on for 2-3 days heavy use....how come belle using sooo much battery????

belle on my n8
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
porter_kp

same problem m8...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi all, I had App Stop (or Off) when I was on Anna but it is not compatable with Belle. I had some probelms with it and Nokia in thier list of apps that does not work with Belle also list App Stop as not working.
May I know if this App Off (or Stop) os a new compatitable one or is it still the old one listed on Ovi Store?

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ikramcu10

ok on belle i use 4 skin .and use power saving mood . I play 4 hour song. And use 2 or three our internet and its give me 1.5 DAYS AND i an happy with that.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hitesh_m670

Hi, kkfae63, app stop was listed as a non compatible app with belle and was removed from ovi store. I found this app on http://www.mobhut.com/5/free-mobile-softwares/1033/symbian-s60v5-softwares/1755/app-stop.shtml . I was using this app on my C7 and its working absolutely fine. Strange, that app stop is back in store but has mismatch issues with buttons to mark all apps and the one to stop apps.
Please use plain text.