Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Belle and battery life

Advisor
carolco

Belle and battery life

After updating from Anna to Belle on my N8 I have noticed that battery life is much shorter.I also noticed that back side of my phone is getting warm even if I don't charge it or use any data connection. The only way to avoid this problem is to turn mobile data off  and also wireless must be disabled. It is strange because even If I don't use any data connection ( I check in the connection mannager) phone is draining the battery. Do You have similar problem?

Advisor
WillowGTi

Re: Belle and battery life

I am noticing this problem as well!  I just submitted a post about it a short while ago. 

Hopefully we get some sort of solution soon!

Counsellor

Pretty sure I am experiencing the same on E7. I have reverted to settings similar to pre-Belle, but I am pretty sure it drains quicker now.

Contributor
wanyenk

I have the same here after I updated my C7... hopefully there will be an easy solution, instead of turning of all data connections...

Counsellor

And here comes the question, why no Widgets to offline mode anymore?!? Battery life was terrible anyway, why remove features that extended it slightly..seriously, I'd love to see an answer from devs...

Counsellor

Yes, I too find it annoying that we cannot switch widgets to offline mode and that Wifi needs to be "on" all the time. Previously with Anna I can set wifi scanning off but still get connected when I browse or use app that needs internet connection as the phone will auto on the Wifi and connect to the access point that I set up according to priority.

Now this is all gone!

Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

HI!

I've forwarded this one for investigation now and we'll create an FAQ as soon as possible.

BR<

yvonne

TracyC

I came here for exactly the same reason. I'm not a heavy user ad used to get 2 to 3 days out of the battery but now its at about 30% after less than 1 day
asangak

Every day I remove My N8 from charger 5 A.M. , normally around 3.P.M. (after 10 hours)  I get to 80% (Because of active SIP client). Yesterday I upgraded to Belle. Today As usual I removed from charger 5.A.M. by 7:30 AM (just 2.5 hours) down to 80% (without using the phone at all) . I guess its 80% as it shows one block gone from battery indicator, since no battery percentage shown , not sure how much exactly.

Best Regards,
Asanga
asangak

by 8:30 AM (just 3.5 hours) dropped to 1 bar. I guess 25%.
Best Regards,
Asanga
Counsellor
t9rfbb

I just update my E7 (less than 24 hours agoe) so my experience is limited.  But as far as controlling wifi and Bluetooth I am having no problem with that.  I can turn them on and off easiuly from the pull-down menu on the main home screen.

Bluetooth is one tap to turn on and one tap to turn off.

WIFI (WLAN) is three taps (or steps) to turn on and one tap to turn off.

I like that I can now put the phone in offline mode and still access WIFI.

There are other problems though.  I posted my install experience under "My Nokia E7-00 Belle update - the good, the bad, and the not so good".

Others are reporting problems that I have not experienced - yet.

Hope Nokia gets these things fixed fast.  Its not like Belle was just released.  They have been shipping phone with Belle installed.  I suspect all the best developers have been pulled off Symbian to work on WIndows.

Advisor
muerte

Same thing here. Used to be extremely happy about my N8's battery life, but now it seems to drain in less than 24 hours.

Not using any apps in the background that are using Mobile data or Wifi. No facebook or other widgets. Those connection "switches" are nevertheless in on-mode. Is it so, that if those switches are on, the phone drains the battery? And every time you stop using for example a browser, you should go and switch the button off? If so, it is not good, not good at all, when comparing to Anna.

Otherwise, the Belle is very good!

Professor
bumblebirra

If the wifi switch is "on" the widget shows the signal strength even when the wifi isn't actively doing anything, so I wonder if this is draining some battery power?

My battery life seems about the same as it was with Anna. I always found that even if I didn't use my phone, the battery would drop from full capacity to about half, during an average day's use. This rate of drainage would be the same no matter how much I used the phone (except for making calls)
Contributor
crazyvinci

Re: Belle and battery life | its freaky annoying!!

Since, i've updated to my E7 to belle, i've had some serious issue with my battery. Despite a full charge, phone on standby, with only whatsapp running in the backgroud, the battery last only 5 HOURS!!!!! before it last for days with anna and s^3 

Advisor
ekarthik

Even I am facing same problem,after updating belle my battery drains faster I have closed all the apps even though it is happening.

My phone memory is also very low I deleted my inbox,mail box,and all images from my phone memory and no apps in phone memory

Sage
siegfrid

Same thing here, closed wifi.mobile data,etc....Nokia did you test your firmware?  

Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Is this some sort of a joke from Nokia? Are they making fun of us users of their "dead" Symbian!?

I charged the phone fully. Disconnected, used a game to check that my Battery Info is working correctly, put power saving on, network to GSM, WiFi OFF, power saving on, no active widgetsexcept e-mail app working but no refreshing and left the phone on 99% charge.

1 (ONE!) hour later on standby with no usage (and the screen saver to clock mode) I open the phone and see a charge of 88%. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That makes it 12 hours in standby no usage to fully drain the battery.

I will try to complete a full discahrge-recharge cycle and test again. But if it shows the results I am off to Nokia Care.

Counsellor
Analyst

There's something i dont understand with nokia. Why do we always have to lose the features we like in the name of updates and upgrades? I thought the word upgrade is supposed to mean "to improve the quality of a service or product" or "to make a computer or other machine more powerful or effective" (Macmillan dictionary). Not so with nokia. We have to forego some of the services we love and a lot of features we enjoy just so that we can claim to have upgraded!! Not very sensible to me. Some of us dont have belle yet (nokia hasnt given it to us) and reading all about the missing features in belle sets us wondering if we'l take it the day its released for our variants.

Counsellor
teko5

I totally agree with you Analyst, I don't know why always the nokia user is ment to suffer from his device till when nokia will act like an underground company, Sometimes i feel like they're doing this on purpose they don't want customers anymore!! If nokia will keep doing such repulsive acts they should go back to producing shoes:smileyfrustrated:

Advisor
michaelx

Seriously ? I mean, you have a new OS, you are testing every bit of new information from Belle, you want to test every new option, of course you are draining all the battery. When I first got Belle, my N8 wouldn't stay up for 2 hours. Now because i know all the details from this new os I don't need to stay non-stop on it so it's fine right now. I have better battery life on Belle, than on Anna.