Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Belle update on E7 fails (backup does not comp...

Contributor
lmansner

Belle update on E7 fails (backup does not complete)

I am experiencing problems to update my E7 from Anna to Belle. The upgrade procedure starts with Nokia Ovi backup up the E7, and this is where my upgrade fails. Even though the backup procedures seems to progress normally;

- contacts and groups

- calendar, tasks and notes

- bookmarks

- documents on C-drive of phone

it puts checkmarks after each of these sub-sections, but when finished it prompts back that Contacts and Messages - are not OK (see attached screen shot - sorry in Finnish), and ask permission to restart phone, which it completes successfully, and then retries the backup procedure but with same failures.

I have restarted computer several times, made repair Nokia Suite, and re-done this about 10 times with same result. Upgrade procedure can not complete because backup fails. When using the Nokia Suite Backup function, it completes this with no errors and creates a finalized .nbu file. The procedure, however, seems to take a bit longer than when Nokia Suite is trying backup.

There is no way for me to do the upgrade without first going through the backup procedure which now fails. I have tried to clean the messages out of the phone, and have only maybe 50 SMS messages left (I reduced down from 1000+ on first attempt to upgrade).

I have also tried to upgarde after deleting my Exchange account on the phone, then restart phone, if that could be the reason for messing up, but this did not help. Same error message.

Any good advice what I should do next?

Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

Re: Belle update on E7 fails (backup does not complete)

@lmansner

Could you provide us log files via http://tiny.cc/ja40z ?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lmansner

I have now uploaded the report and log files to the files via http://tiny.cc/ja40z server.

I hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

Hi lmansner,

When you sent the error report? I couldn't find it?

Could you please resent it ones again?

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

out of interest what happens when you simply choose to do a backup as normal, without trying to do the Belle update. Does it work then or not.?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lmansner

Normal backup works fine. There are no errors displayed and it goes through all the steps and completes everything.

If there would be a way to do Belle upgrade without doing the backup, it might work?

I have uploaded all files via http://tiny.cc/ja40z on the 9th of March using the same headings in the form "Belle update on E7 fails (backup does not complete)" as to this discussion topic. If that is lost or cannot be found, I will need to re-do the logging of the problem and upload again.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lmansner

I have now reloaded the files.

Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

This problem still under investigation ..

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
93dsq

Im facing the same problem and have tried redoing the backing up almost 10 times.. it repeatedly shows messages as not OK! everything else gets backed up perfecctly fine.. iv tried backing up toherwise using the nokia suite while NOT in the process of updating to belle, and the back up was succesfull... the problem occurs only when i try to update to belle

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lmansner

There was a new release of Nokia Suite 3.3.89 but this did not help me. If there would be a way to do upgrade without doing backup (skip the step) I would not mind doing that, as normal backup works perfect.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bytebro

Just to add another data-point, I have exactly the same problem when attempting to update my N8-00.  I look forward to a solution.

Please use plain text.
irfa

Same problem yesterday. Backup fails. Precisely, it seemed like it will never end. There was not an icon that indicates that my phone is connected to PC. So I unplug USB cable, restart phone and Nokia Suite and after that i tried again and it was ok.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
neel1302

Please Help,

I have the same Problem on my NokiaN8-00... I want to get this updated as soon as possible...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bytebro

Took mine to my local Nokia Care dude today, who installed Belle the hard way, and all is well.  Almost - What's happened to 'My Conversations' in the Messages app?! :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

Hello,

Error has been fixed and Nokia Suite 3.4  contains the fix. You can download and install latest beta version of  Nokia Suite from here ...

To download the installer, you need to log-in with the SAME credentials that you use on this Forum..

Best regards,

Marina

Nokia Suite team

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Please use plain text.
Contributor
secretsx

hello

I am also having problems in updating my E7 from Anna to Belle. The update procedure starts perftectly with Nokia Ovi backup up the E7, and this is where my upgrade fails. Even though the backup procedures seems to progress normally;

- contacts and groups

- calendar, tasks and notes

- bookmarks and web feeds

- predictive text dictionary

- documents on C-drive of phone

it puts checkmarks after each of these sub-sections, but when it reachechs (the predictive text dictionary) and it almost reaches 100% the phone just switches off telling me (something gone wrong) and ask permission to restart phone, which it completes successfully, and then retries the backup all over again but with same failures.

i have re-done this more than 10 times with same result. Update can not complete because backup fails.

When using the Nokia Suite Backup function, it also does not complete with the phone switching off ,i don't know why !

Any good advice what I should do next?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

When the selection screen for WHAT you want to back-up comes up, did you try, un-checking the Box against the 'predictive text dictionary'  and see if the Back-up is done successfully and then on the update ? If this works you may need to just set up the predictive text dictionary again ..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
secretsx

i have tried doing that on the normal backup and it isn't working .. plus the update backup doesn't give you the choice to choose what you want to back up ..
what else can i do ?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Resetting the Predictive text dictionary may do the trick..but not sure. 

BTW, there is one more thread on the same here but no sure shot solution yet ...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
secretsx

how can i reset the predictive text dicionary ??
Please use plain text.