Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: NOT the Best guide for error free firmware upg...

Counsellor

Best guide for error free firmware upgrade...

Many people say that they got problems after firmware upgrade. I hereby give you complete information for successfull firmware upgrade. Just follow it.

1. Backup only contacts, masseges, notes and calender data using PC Suite. Don't backup anything else like settings or user files etc. Backup image, video and music files manually using Windows Explorer.

2. Connect your mobile with PC using USB cable and select Data Transfer mode. Open Win Explorer and right click on your memory card drive letter and select format. Format memory card with this method and remove it from your phone. Then hard format your mobile (switch off your mobile and then press and hold green call key, * and 3 button together and switch on your mobile and hold that 3 buttons untill you see insert country information).

3. Always use latest PC Suite and NSU to update your mobile's firmware. Install it and update your mobile's firmware.

4. After successful firmware upgrade switch off your mobile insert memory card and hard format your mobile once again. After your mobile restart, format your memory card using mobile's inbuilt memory card format utility. This format prepare your memory card for mobile use.

5. Restore all your backups in your mobile using PC Suite and manually and enjoy...

Do this all procedure carefully and enjoy your mobile without any error. This procedure can't help against firmware bugs, ok.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: Best guide for error free firmware upgrade...

Guys, please keep this post on first page. If you think that this is useful information and can be read by everybody then just click on reply button and say thanks or anything you like. And yes, give me "Kudos" too. If anybody doesn't reply then this post will skip on 2nd then 3rd and ... page so please reply and keep this post on 1st page. Thanks...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: NOT the Best guide for error free firmware upgrade, probably the worst.

[ Edited ]

Your guide is outdated and contains things that you do not need to do.  Since the introduction of user data preservation (UDP) phones do not need to be reset and memory cards do not need to be wiped at any stage of the process.  

Your guide makes a simple process over complicated for the novice users. Most models since the N82 have featured UDP, with the exclusion of FP1 based E series models.  UDP makes the update process quick and easy by keeping all of your data intact after the update.  Only on very rare occasions do UDP phones need to be reset after an update.

You also completely neglected to mention the most important aspects such as preparing the PC to update. The PC and programs running on it are the most common cause of failed updates, not the phone.  You also did not mention alternative methods of updating such as FOTA.

Also please be aware that bumping your own posts to keep it on the front page is not allowed on this forum.  The correct section for guides is the "Pool of Knowledge" part of this forum, once you have the sufficient user level (Professor rank) to post in there.

Message Edited by psychomania on 09-Jul-2009 12:52 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

@Psycho, please don't leave any masseges on my post, ok. I know that you are very old here and from Nokia too but please leave me. I am giving this matter for new users and not for expert. UDP and FOTA word is for experts not for new users. So stay away from me with your over brained mind.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

He has as much right to participate in this thread as you do. This is a public forum, remember?

I also happen to agree with him.

While a backup is a very wise precaution, there is absolutely no need to format anything before or after a firmware update. You are making the whole procedure far more convoluted than it has to be. All you have to do is back up (just in case), update and then enjoy your phone. Formatting the phone's memory and the memory card addresses issues that have nothing to do with a firmware update. Confusing the issues does nothing to help the newbies you profess to want to help.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Well said grschinon!

@ mustafa

Sorry but I have every right to point out that your information is outdated, flawed and not user friendly. If you do not want me to comment on your posts please do not post utter rubbish.  

Perhaps you should stick to topics about old phones and leave everything else to the many experts here?

Guides like yours were being posted here over two years ago :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by psychomania on 09-Jul-2009 01:31 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Cheers everyone

Over smart and self made experts are here...

Hurraaaayyyy.......
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Thanks, we need to be to deal with the ignorant users that post outdated unhelpful rubbish :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

sounds more like an attention-seeker to me....plus the unhelpful junk he posted lol 

If you found this or someone's comments helpful or like what that person has to say, please give some Kudos to their post!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

You can tell this for you but I want to tell everybody that if there is not any problem your PC then this is helpful to upgrade the mobile's firmware without any trouble and after upgrading, there is no trouble also like missing data, slow speed, application access error, poor bettery life, settings problem etc. So this is only for mobile help and not for PC problem.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Like many of your posts your guide is still outdated trash that does not apply to most of the phones released in the last 18 months.

Please do not continue to bump it back to the front page as it isn't at all good or helpful, in fact it is unhelpful and misleading. If it was any good it would have received kudos, it hasn't! :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.

If this is not helpful then why many users who uses latest mobile post here that they got trouble like poor bettery, slow speed, apps access error, data loss etc. after firmware upgrade and they got final solution as HARD FORMAT their mobile? Mustafa hb gives that final solution here and psycho not accept it because he is 5 star ranker and believe that mustafa is his rival. Take it easy psycho...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

I wondered when "mickey4321in" would show up.  I actually predicted that it would happen :smileyvery-happy:

It's amazing the amount of kudos that you've been awarding to "mustafa_hb" over the last couple of days.

Anyone would think that you were his alternative user ID, set up purely to cheat the kudos system with.  A cheat is certainly no rival, neither is a waste of space poster like mustafa_hb. :smileyvery-happy:

Wonder what the moderators will find when they check those accounts? :smileywink:

Message Edited by psychomania on 13-Jul-2009 03:23 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage
thescorpion

this is a too long way to upgrade your phone firmware and there is a lot of formatting and resetting

the easy way to upgrade your phone firmware ,is backup then upgrade

i think there is no need at all to format your phone or the memory card before the update,so this is a hard way to many Nokia users those who are upgrading a phone first time in there life

i upgraded my N78 twice and never had to format it or something like that,only backup just in case....

so,hopefully next time you write something more easier and more helpful....

Nokia 5730XM,200.12.87
If my post helped you in anyway,Please click on the (Kudos!) Star, THANK YOU!!
Please use plain text.

Oh lol ! What a reply. Ha ha ha... Very funny
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

LOL all you like, you certainly aren't the first kudos cheat that i've caught and i'm sure you will not be the last.

It's sad that some peoples posts are that bad that they have to resort to cheating. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hello:

I think the best way to do a firmware update i just like iPhone do. You don't need to do anything before the process. The application automatically makes a backup and after the upgrade restore the phone like it was before the upgrade. I don't know why Nokia doesn't design a upgrader like this.

Best regards

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

i seriously think this thread doesn't matter anymore. all that's been posted by the user and his cheating alter-ego has been true rubbish. should all just leave this thread and not reply anymore, because it is still bumping the thread up with every post that is being made, and is giving the attention-seeker gratification. 

If you found this or someone's comments helpful or like what that person has to say, please give some Kudos to their post!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Sage
gbabia

[ Edited ]
I do agree with you abrmartin. Apple has indeed an excellent support whether it be iPod or iPhone, all done on one place, iTunes. Unlike Nokia, you have PC Suite, NSU, Ovi Suite etc.
Message Edited by gbabia on 14-Jul-2009 10:31 AM
Nokia C7-00 V 024.001
Nokia E52-1 V 081.003
Nokia 6700 classic V 13.10
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yeah atleast the motive of this topic is Still on. becoz i can see this thread at the start page itself for 3 consecutive days....

Cheers to the planners!!!!wala

Please use plain text.