Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: C6-02 - Anna 25.0027 breaks 3G and offlline pr...

Sage
ArminG
Accepted Solution

C6-02 - Anna 25.0027 breaks 3G and offlline profile

Yesterday I upgraded my C6-01 US open market. At first all looked to be fine, but I've now noticed that the cellular functionality has been severely broken.

What is happening is that it loses conenction to T Mobile USA on a regular basis. When driving to work, it always ends up with a disconnect. Worse is that sometimes it even shows full bars, but it cannot make or recieve calls. Also sending/recieving SMS is impossible at that time. But because it shows full bars, you have no visual clue it is failing.

I then tried the famous trick: setting it to offline mode, and back to normal, but that fails! It states "Unable to switch profile". All I can do is reboot the phone. At that moment it connects to the network again and all is fine again.

In fact, even when the phone is in working and I verified I have phone fucntionality, you can set it to offline mode, and after that you have no choice but to reboot the phone.

In essence, I have the same issue as this guy:

/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/N8-loses-connection-to-3G-network/td-p/811941

Before Anna (= yesterday) I never had this issue!

This issue makes the cellular unreliable, so it effectively renders the phone useless.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

Re: C6-02 - Anna 25.0027 breaks 3G and offlline profile

Update: tried a factory reset, but doesn't help.

It looks like the cellular modem firmware is toast on the 25.027 with T Mobile USA.

Just having the phone be idle, will cause disconnects to the network. Again with all bars still showing full, so you have no clue you are effectively disconencted.

It looks like some vital cellular firmwar part crashes.

When forcing the phone to be in GSM mode only, it seems to work fine and I can go to offline and to other profiles back and fort fine. That also confirms that the 3G-stack is toast ...

Now I think about it, I also have a N8 EU open market with a Vodafone SIM. Since Anna it also has issues connecting to T Mobile. However untill now I never connected this to Anna. This EU model was upgraded a few weeks ago to some 24.xxxx version. At the same time T Mobile started doing maintenace in my area, and I got kicked off all the time. I thought it was T Mobile USA kicking me off because I was roaming and they gave priority to non-roamers, but now I start to suspect otherwise.

The same N8 is roaming fine on AT&T. I'll see what happens if I put that on T-Mobile USA.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

Update 2: The N8 also fails to work with T Mobile USA. Smoking gun alert ...

The N8 also shows full bar but when you call, it doesn't receive the call. At that moment all other functionality is toast. You cannot make outgoing calls, you cannot switch networks (wanted to try and switch to GSM only and AT&T) untill you reboot. Also I can go to offline mode but then no longer back.

So I think I'm on to something here: Anna breaks the 3G frequency of T Mobile USA. Unlike e.g. in Europe where multiple carriers use teh same bands (but different segments of it obviosly) T Mobile USA uses exclusively the 1700 3G/UMTS band and AT&T another.

So for now I'm concluding this:

********   DO NOT USE ANNA IF YOU HAVE T MOBILE USA ********   

It is not compatible with the 1700 3G frequency band that T Mobile uses!!!

(Or something else on the T Mobile networks breaks it.)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
timkamat

Same thing happens here in India (especially Goa ) with BSNL SIM. All other operators including Vodafone, reliance etc work fine. When BSNL with dual mode activated, when the 3g signals get weaker- it does not switch to gsm automatically, rather the full network goes off and then it gets back after 1 or 2 minutes.
In Love With My C6-01:Now running on Nokia Belle!
Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

[ Edited ]

Interesting ...

In the mean time I called customer care and it seems I'm the only one who has this problem. I'll admit it is rather strange that this issue hasn't popped up, but on the other hand:

- Nokia share in the US is tiny

- Nokia's open market phones are even more tiny

- Even less of those are C6-01

- Almost all of these will not be upgraded I dare to state.

- Nokia stopped selling c6-01 already before Anna was released officially, let alone when it was here in the US.

- You need to be on T Mobile USA (which is US smallest carrier or the big 4). AT&T is fine.

Also I found out this has happened at least once in the US, where an E-model didn't work on one carrier (its cellular stack crashed as well) but did work on the rest.

My phone is still under warrenty, but it seems all Nokia care will do if I send it is do a factory reset. I can do that myself, so I'll try that and let the results know ...

After that I'll just give it a try and send it away. :-)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
timkamat

By the way Why this thread has been tagged as being solved? No solution has been provided yet.
In Love With My C6-01:Now running on Nokia Belle!
Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

You are right, I found the cause, not the solution.

However in this case, there may not be a solution. Anna with T Mobile USA may just be a no-go from now on ...
Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

Re: C6-01 - Anna 25.007 breaks T Mobile USA 3G

[ Edited ]

Did a *#7370# reset and still not working. Tried right after reset and immediately I could reproduce it.

Of course that was to be expected, because the issue is likely inside Anna itself and not something due to incorrect initialisation or so.

So to summarise what is the issue here:

I have two Symbian devices (N8 EU open market and C6-01 US open market) and both no longer work with the T Mobiel USA 1700MHz 3G frequency after updating to Anna. Because the EU model is updated to Anna 24.001 it is unlikely to be US Anna 25.007 specific.

Some facts:

- the same phones worked fine on non-Anna

- the same phones work fine on AT&T (which uses a different 3G frequency)

- the same phones work fine when you set the connectivity to GSM only

- the issue exists with more than 1 SIM to rule out SIM issues

- the issue exists in multiple area's (multiple celltowers)

- factory reset doesn't solve it.

Of course it could be an issue that only hits some phones and I'm just very unlucky. But as stated before this has happened at east once before in the US.

Also note that the C7 Astound which sells on T Mobile USA is indeed also not upgraded to Anna. (I dare to predict now it will not get updated at all ever.)

Fortunately I'm using my N8 on AT&T and the C6-01 is under waranty, so will go back to Nokia for repair. Not sure how they will do that, but we'll see... :-)

But in summary: BE WARE T MOBILE USA USERS BEFORE UPGRADING TO ANNA. You MAY LOSE 3G FUNCTIONALITY.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

Re: C6-01 / N8 / E7 - Anna breaks T Mobile USA 3G - Symbian Anna is no longer pentaband

The Saga continues.

I could borrow a Polish unlocked E7 device with an Anna 22.xxxx. And you guessed it, it also has no longer a working T Mobile USA 3G frequency!

I dont think I'm unlucky, I'm pretty sure Anna changes the penta-band UMTS phones down to quad-band UMTS. Too bad if you actually need that 5th band ... :-(

In addition, for my C6-01: Nokia's support website is a total mess. I couldn't register an online warranty claim. The site states all is fine after you go through their wizzard, but their internal computer systems don't get the report. It just disappears. So after 3 tries with one of them being with a support engineer seeing if I didn't do anything wrong, they accepted it was not me but their website really has issues.

Fortunately their personel was very friendly and they then handled all through the phone. So my C6-01 is on its way to Nokia support. Not that they can do anything, to fix it (except flash it back to pre-Anna).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ikearat

Re: C6-01 / N8 / E7 - Anna breaks T Mobile USA 3G - Symbian Anna is no longer pentaband

Did you actually get Nokia to revert your C6-01 back to Symbian^3?

I really want this too and would gladly be without the phone for the time it takes to do this re-flash.

Let us know what happened, ok?

Thanks,

phil

Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

I'm still in the process of getting it returned. But I will let you know.

As I see it Nokia has no other choice. My C6-01 is still in warranty and Anna will not work. I've asked them to reflash in case they cannot fix or "reproduce" the issue, and for them that is also the easiest way to make a customer happy again.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
andhalamadola

I second this problem. I have a C6-01, US version, unlocked. 3G stopped working right after upgrading to Anna. I sent the phone for repairs, as I thought its a faulty device. Nokia sent me the phone, essentially, after reflashing ^3 on the phone. I now have the phone running 3G on TMobile, with the phone on Symbian^3. Hope Nokia fixes this problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
imaginaryenemy

I have a US C6-01 and have T-Mobile USA. Since the Anna update i have had NO problems what so ever with service. My 3G has not cut out or failed me once since the update.
Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

Interesting. Then there is some hope.

Can you share the product-code and Anna version? That way we could check if there is some pattern in the difference.

The ones that don't work for me are:

C6-01 - 059C3P6 - 025.007
N8 - 059C640 - 024.001
E7 - [don't know] - 22.xxxx

All three don't work with multiple SIM's anymore after Anna upgrades

One other thing could be the type. My c6-01 is RM-601 but there are several other RM's around as well.

BTW have you checked also setting the phone to offline and back a few times? On all 3 phones there are periods where it does *seem* to work for significant amounts of time. I tried them by calling it every 15 minutes.

It is still a mystery what triggers it, after spending some more time on it. In many cases it is like a few minutes trigger. In other cases it takes longer.

However eventually they do fail to e.g. receive a call even though it has full bars. So it is very easy to think it works, while in reality it is dead. As soon as it would fail to receive a call, I tried the offline-profile-switch and I would get the error to verify it was not a operator glitch, and in all cases it was a cellular-'crash' that required a phone reboot.

But if you state yours is fine, I believe you. Just trying to isolate the differences.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
imaginaryenemy

Unfortunately, all of our info is the same. Even the type. After reading your original posts, i tried the offline online several times. It never gave me an error message. I only speak on the phone for 30-45 minutes a day. However, the individual calls are usually short so i make and receive calls multiple calls a day.
The majority of the day is spent using the internet. Either with the browser or applications that require a connection. I would say usage is around 3-4 hours a day.
Like i said not one time have i encountered a service disruption. I suppose i could be missing calls, but no one has told me they couldn't reach me, and like i said i make and receive calls throughout the day.
Other possible factors: i am almost always in the same 40 mile radius. Also it is a new SIM. I dont know if these things could matter or not.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
andhalamadola

[ Edited ]

N8:

Release: Symbian Anna

Software ver: 025.007

Custom ver: 025.007.269.04

Product Code: 059C8T6

Type: RM-596

Status - 3G on TMobile does not work

C6-01:

Release: PR1.2

Software ver: 014.002

Custom ver: 014.002.00.01

Product Code: 059C3P6

Type: RM-601

Status - 3G works on TMobile

There was another forum, where I read that if you do the following, 3G on TMobile may start working (this has however not worked for me):

1. Menu -> Applications -> Search

2. Options -> Settings

3. Set both values to OFF

4. Options -> Exit

5. Power off phone

6. Power on phone

See if this works for you guys.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
andhalamadola

This could even be some sort of a hardware fault, or a hardware-software mismatch, with newer devices. This might be working for older devices, and be broken for newer ones.
Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

Re: C6-01 - Anna 25.0007 breaks 3G and offlline profile

I tried the search-option, and it didn't work for me either on my N8. (C6-01 on its way to Nokia). Seems also odd that this would be connected. But of course strange things sometimes happen ...

BTW, the C6-01 14.xxx software was also wat was installed in my C6-01 before the upgrade (and then 3G did indeed also work as posted before).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
andhalamadola

Dammit. I hope Nokia is reading this forum, and, they actually do something about it. This is an embarrassing failure on part of Nokia, especially since they pushed out the Anna update about 3 months later than the rest of the world. You might want to call Nokia, quoting your reference ID, and tell them to flash your C6-01 with S^3. That way, you wont have the shnazzy Anna, but atleast have a working phone.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Other users with same problem on T-Mobile US have reported that getting a new replacement SIM has solved it. Have any of you tried this ?

Please use plain text.