Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: C6-01 - Anna 25.007 breaks 3G and offlline pro...

Advisor
icedrakin

Re: C6-01 - Anna 25.007 breaks 3G and offlline profile

My sim card is the right version but it didnt solve my data connection problem. Should I try another sim card
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

93tid wrote:

I have no scientific explanation except empirical evidence from close to a dozen users so far on different S^3 handsets running Anna which had the very same problem resolved with a 100% success rate by getting a replacement new SIM card from T-Mobile USA.

If it's not an issue to get a replacement, wouldn't it be easier to just do it and try.

I am very happy to see that instead of writing several long technical theses on the subject of why the problem cannot possibly be resolved by a simple replacement of the SIM card with a new one, some people have actually decided to follow my suggestion and have thus resolved their problem. It is also good to see that T-Mobile USA seem to be aware of the problem and are not charging anything for issuing out a replacement SIM in such cases.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
icedrakin

I chatted with T-mobile customer support this morning. My sim card is the newest version and my problem ist still not solved yet.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

If you can get it for free try a replacement SIM card. I have little faith in call centre customer support expertise.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
icedrakin

the attachment is the picture of my sim card. I think it's a new version (the "right" version) you talk about. I don't know if I should get a replacement cuz I may be charge for it and I'm not sure if it can solve my problem.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

I am not talking about new and old version SIMs and from oher posts in this thread it does not seem to make a difference what the replacement SIM looks like.

T-Mobile will not charge you for asking for a replacement card, they might charge you to actually give you one, so I don't understand why you are wasting time writing here instead of acting with T-Mobile. If they give you a free replacement after you complain that you cannot use their 3G servcies you will lose nothing even if it still doesn't work. So far every single person who has bothered to ask for a replacement SIM and then to post results has stated that the problem has been resolved.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
slvr32

[ Edited ]

Just FYI, I got my replacement SIM after a brief conversation with what seemed like a fairly knowledgeable rep at a brick-and-mortar T-Mobile USA store.

I actually brought my N900 and the 700 with me, and made the point that my SIM card worked fine in the N900, but the 700's data connection (and even the basic phone features) would go unresponsive after a few idle minutes.

Funny enough, when the rep went to check the phone number on the 700 with a #686# shortcut, it just hung and didn't come back with the phone number, and the rep agreed that something was definitely wrong.

Also, it just happens that this is my second 700, and both 700's had the same problem with my old SIM card, and I also mentioned this thread, and that some amount of Symbian^3 users with various phones (N8, E7, C6-01) and T-Mobile USA seemed to be having problems with some SIMs since the Belle release, and that the 700 appeared to have a similar problem, running Belle.

2 minutes later, I had a new SIM card, free of charge, and the 700 has been perfectly reliable with the new SIM.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
icedrakin

[ Edited ]

I did go to the T-mobile store. And after checking, they said my sim is the newest version they had so they can't change my sim for free. They also said "turn off the 3G because I know that several phones have this problems and their solution is turning off 3G to use T-mobile network" >"<. Should I try to go to another store to try again...

Plus she said my phone is N8, not the kind of phones they sell so they have no knowledge about this phone, and advise me to contact the manufacture to solve this problem.... :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
icedrakin

Just come back from T-mobile store and force them to change my sim card for free. it works like a magic. Don't know what actually happen, but it works now.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

93tid, no need to be so sensitive in being right. Nobody ever stated a SIM card couldn't possibly solve it.

We did say - and that is still true - that the issue is not the SIM card, but with Anna. The same SIM work fine in all other phones, including the same hardware before upgrading.

If replacing it, fixes it that is fantastic, but still a workaround aroudn an Anna bug.

The sad story is that Nokia broke something, fails to acknowledge it, fails to fix it, fails to instruct their customer support to handle it, and people have to get new SIM cards in an attempt to fix it.

That said, of course replacing a SIM is a good thing to try.
Please use plain text.
jakethejones

Anna 25.008 just got pushed to my phone. Anyone with the 'bad' sim card see if that fixes the issue?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
andhalamadola

Does it fix the issue for you? What phone do you have? I just checked for device updates, and I dont see anything.
Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

Both my C6-01 (Anna 25.007) and E7 (non-Anna) don't get the upgrade offerred.

Also - but that is to be expected - the T Mobile Astound and my unlocked EU N8 with Anna don't get it offered.

While I was visiting family in Europe these holidays I dropped by a Vodafone store to get a new SIM. Unfortunately it seems that the Vodafone and T Mobile USA roaming contract has expired or something, as I'm no longer allowed on the T Mobile USA network with that SIM. Too bad, as I would like to have tried that.

Now I'm back in the US, will also try to find time to get a new T Mobile SIM next week. Would like to have tried the 25.008 first to see if they fixed it, but I've given up on Nokia a bit.

They also promissed to call me back on my issue, but never did. Also the fact no statements are issued on why the Anna update was retracted are not promissing. If the 25.008 does fix it that is on the one hand great but also means their customer support has either lied to customers in claiming that there is no issue or kept in the dark themselves by their mothership in Finland ...

My next phone is after more than 10 years owning several Nokia's in parallel, going to be a Windows Phone ... but not a Nokia. They blew it with me.
Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

Got the 25.008 update for my C6-01 ... and ... the T Mobile 3G issues are gone!!!

I discovered it by accident. The dialer menu (*#0000#) still states no updates available, but the Software Update menu in the application list listed a new update without any details. It only stated I had to use the PC to update it!?

Connecting to the PC with Ovi Suite it showed this one was the 25.008 update. After upgrading the Ovi Suite to the latest (as my slightly older version repeatedly failed to install it) I managed to download and install it.

No more 3G issues ever since, with the same old SIM. I was planning on taking off from work a bit early this Friday to get a new SIM but it seems it is no longer needed.

My E7 non-Anna also gets the update offered this way, but there the update clearly states it is 25.008. I'm holding off on this one for now as I lost some trust with Nokia :-)

My EU unlocked N8 with Anna 24.001 does NOT get it offered, so it seems to be only US or only 25.007. Too bad, as the other Anna's do have the same problem. I hope Belle integrates this fix therefore.

Anyway it seems Nokia fixed this SIM vs Anna incompatibility issue in their 25.008

Too bad Nokia had to lie about it repeatedly. As stated they blew it with me now, even though they fixed it. Either Nokia Care USA lied to customers or was kept in the dark themselves. Either way, not good.

What should have happened is this:
- Yes dear customer, we have identified an issue with some SIM cards on Anna with T Mobile USA. We are working on a fix. In the mean time, we advise you to get a new SIM card or disable 3G functionality.
- Yes dear customer, we have pulled Anna from our servers for US devices temporarily because we found an issue with T Mobile USA and some SIM cards with Anna. We are working on a fix and will re-release Anna when that fix is ready.

All people make mistakes. It is how people handle them. Admitting them and fixing them would have been a much better approach than lying to customers.

But perhaps business reasons stimulated them not to follow this route? I mean they would have to pull several just leased phone like the 500 and 700. Who knows...

For me this issue is now closed. My fate in Nokia has received a massive dent, but at least they fixed it for my existing device.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
andhalamadola

FYI guys, just installed the 25.008 update, and 3G connectivity is solid so far. All updates have been installed, no disconnections. No reboots as well. So looks like Nokia did fix the problem. What bums me is there was no announcement from Nokia about the update. Nothing in the media as well. Agree with you, ArminG, my faith in Nokia has taken a permanent beating too.

Also, although Anna (probably Belle too) has this problem, its prevalent in the 1700MHz band, which is not used in Europe and Asia, hence other regions did not notice this problem. Its only the USA (& Canada) that got affected, since a few operators here use that band.

Well, will keep monitoring for any re-occurrence of a problem.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
slvr32

Just to be clear, the Nokia 700 I mentioned in this thread is unlocked, purchased from Amazon, not tied to any carrier, running Symbian Belle out of the box, with the same issues as the Anna (pre-25.008?) users on T-Mobile USA w/some SIM cards in this thread.

Thanks to everyone for being so persistent with this issue, and I still have my 'old SIM', but I assume it might have been deactivated when I got my new SIM from a T-Mobile store, in case I wanted to test for the issue with a future Symbian Belle update in the US?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Soumeet

Re: C6-02 - Anna 25.0027 breaks 3G and offlline profile

mine is c6-01 i have anna 22.014 installed and wondering about 25.007 to update
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
imaginaryenemy

Is anyone having this issue with Belle?  I did NOT have this issue when updating to Anna, but have encountered it with Belle.  A new SIM card did NOT fix the issue.  Any thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
slvr32

[ Edited ]

imaginaryenemy wrote:

Is anyone having this issue with Belle?  I did NOT have this issue when updating to Anna, but have encountered it with Belle.  A new SIM card did NOT fix the issue.  Any thoughts?

I mentioned that I ran into this issue with Belle on my Nokia 700, and only managed to 'fix' (work around) the issue with a new SIM card. I believe the type/design of the 'new' SIM card is also important, since I think the earlier discussions have pointed that the real issue is that certain releases of Anna and Belle don't handle certain SIM cards correctly, and the problem really isn't the SIM card itself.

It sounds like this issue with certain SIM cards still hasn't been addressed in the current release of Belle.

I wish I could tell you if Belle has seen any updates (my Nokia 700 had Belle installed out of the box), but I returned my Nokia 700 to Amazon a while ago, since my N900 continues to be my best/favorite phone, after giving a few Symbian S^3 (N8, E7, 700) phones a shot over the last couple of years.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
akeovi

Strange on my E7 I have only Anna 25.007 and had no update for Anna 25.008:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.