Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Can't ugrade Nokia 5800 XM's Firmware

Registered Member
ruthmof

Can't ugrade Nokia 5800 XM's Firmware

[ Edited ]

Greetings,

I've purchased a Nokia 5800XM, with the firmware version 21.0.025. For whatever the reason, Nokia Updater indicates that I have the latest version of the Software, when I know I don't.

I purchased the phone in Spain, locked to Vodafone Spain. I then unlocked it so I could use it with Vodafone Portugal. I don't know if it has anything to do with the updating problem.

This firmware version comes with several bugs that I'm sure you already know of and plus, I can't install the Ovi Maps for the GPS service, because they're only available for later firmware versions.

I'd like to know if there's any solution? Any way I can update my firmware, so I can use the mobile phone I payed for?

Thank you very much!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

've purchased a Nokia 5800XM, with the firmware version 21.0.025. For whatever the reason, Nokia Updater indicates that I have the latest version of the Software, when I know I don't

You Do it  is the latest firmware for your phones product code .

Post one says .

Other people can update their software but I cannot. What's wrong?
Update availability is based on many things, including existing Nokia device firmware version, country, and operator. It may be due to one of these variables that your Nokia device isn't eligible for updates.

Please note that your mobile service provider, operator, or carrier may not have approved the latest Nokia device firmware available.

So you keep checking  until the firmware is available for your phone .

jje

Please use plain text.
5230rocks

Like the poster above says, it's probably your operator.

I had the same problem with Vodafone but solved it easily by using another sim I have from another phone on a different network.

Got it updated in about 10 minutes.

You can easily buy a manual top up/prepaid sim or borrow one from a friend.

Best of luck

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
zoro06

what's your product code to know the reason ?

-you can show appreciation to my posts if it helped or useful by pressing the green Kudo star beside my post that hepled :smileyhappy:
-if my answer was the solution , so click accept as solution button
Started From Nokia 3310 , Now with Nokia N97 v.22.0.110 + N900 PR1.2
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

@5230rocks:

Changing the SIM does not change the phone's product code and therefore does not make it possible to update the phone if new firmware was not available before you changed the SIM. Something else was done to the phone for that to be made possible.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
x_kRikKa_x

Mi Nokia's product code is 0576050.

As I said before, the mobile phone was locked to Vodafone Spain, but as I live in Portugal, I had to unlock it so I could use it with a national network. So seems like that didn't solve the problem as well.

I guess it may be from my mobile phone's version? Should I contact Vodafone Spain or Nokia?

Thank you SO much for your support!!! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
x_kRikKa_x

Sorry, this is Ruthmof. For whatever the reason, I couldn't sign in with my other alias.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Your phone, even if unlocked, is braned as a Vodaphone handset, and therefore you can only get updates approved by Vodaphone Spain.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
x_kRikKa_x

What if formatted the phone, cleaning up the Vodafone Spain firmware alterations? Would it be possible?  Would it fix the problem?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

x_kRikKa_x,

format won't help at all,,,, only format your flash card memory (Micro SD)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Formatting the microSD card will have no effect at all because the firmware isn't on it!

The only way it will be possible to remove the Vodafone Spain stuff will be to debrand the phone, and that can only be done with written permission from the operator that added the branding.

You may read about unofficial methods on the internet, but be aware that using them is an operation that will definitely void the phone's warranty and may also exclude it from any form of service from Nokia. Because of that, we are not allowed to discuss such methods on these forums.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
x_kRikKa_x

I'm sorry, it wasn't my intention to bring you into unallowed discussions. It seems quite unfair to me that I can't fully enjoy the mobile phone I payed for, especially when I bought it for the GPS functions that I can't use, because the maps available are for newer versions.

I'll take my mobile into a Nokia shop and see if they can help me out on this.

Thank you very much!

Please use plain text.
malokdady

i have the same problem but my phone is not locked to operator  and i buy it few days ago

i live in egypt

plz help me

Please use plain text.
malokdady

am also change the sim card but it useless

Please use plain text.