Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Cannot restore from backup after software upda...

Registered Member

Cannot restore from backup after software update

Wondering if anyone can help, i backed up my N95 and then updated software and now Ive come to restore files and it keeps getting stuck on 52% so I have some of my old numbers and pictures but not all of them. Any ideas how to sort this out?
Registered Member

Re: Cannot restore from backup after software update

Hi there,

I'm getting exactly the same on my N95. I backed up my files to the computer using PC Suite, did the software update, and now when i try and restore it gets stuck at 52%. It's transferred my photo's, video's and msuic, but not my contacts, messages or bookmarks that i can tell. I've found the files on my PC, so it transferred them off ok, but can't get them back on!

Has anyone any idea's please?

Exactly the same problem right down to the 52%. I can't use my original back up or the one I made just before the n95 software update.

Absolutely infuriating!!

Would love to know if you managed to get it sorted and how you went about doing it

Cheers

The same thing happened to my N73 Music Edition phone, after the restore there was no contacts. But I found the right answer. go to http://www.nokisoft.com/ and click download, then unzip it after downloading clicking "Extract Here", then install it. launch the software and click on the backup file and it will transform the file to a text document and you will be able to get back your contacts and messages and calendar.... 
Contributor

Exactly the same problem I've got. I have N95 8GB phone, I updated its firmware from 30.0.0.something to the latest 31.0.0.15. And backup just don't wanna restore.. Restore process starts, and then says "restore completed"but nothing restored, except some files on memcard. what the hell?! I used Noki extractor to see inside the backup file.. everything in there, including my notes, my phonebook, my keys etc. everything.. it just wont restore :smileysad: 

I have another phone which is Nokia 7610, I have 2 year old backup file I've made.. but stupid pc suite screwed things up for me again..it doesnt even recognizes nfb file which was made by using old version of pc suite... i found old version (tried 6.3, 6.8, and 6.9) tried to restore contacts to old phone, and it failed.. again!!

I'm so **bleep** right now, just can't describe how much...:smileysad:((  Nokia better come up with an update for PC Suite soon, coz this is **bleep**!

Sage
miezarnd

Is it advisable to restore backup to phone thru PC Suite? Just wonder... if updating to a new FW, the setting might different from previous FW. So there might be incompatible issues arises?

I only backup my msg, contacts & my songs file if I want to upgrade the FW (ie 30.0.018 to 31.0.015). If I want to re-install the FW (due to corrupted system) then I will backup the whole phone settings & data becoz of the same FW version.

On other notes, 31.0.015 (RM-320) or 31.0.017 (RM-150) firmware is non-hackable. So probably during restoring process, your phone rejects some of the files or setting causing your PC suites unable to completly restored all the backups.

This is from my experience of backing up data thru PC suite.

Same as MS Windows, not all WINXP settings are same as WinVista, so not all applications or windows setting can be use even you backup your applications. S60 OS also using registry files to work...   :smileywink:

V31.0.015
07 Nov 2008
RM-320 - 0555181
Contributor

"Is it advisable to restore backup to phone thru PC Suite? Just wonder... if updating to a new FW, the setting might different from previous FW. So there might be incompatible issues arises?" As the matter of fact IT IS.. Well, NokiaSoftwareUpdater recommended to do so. Also I never had any problems with this method when upgrading earlier... So this my 5th (I guess) fw upgrade of my N95 8GB phone.

Everything was fine before, so its obviously a software bug. THANK YOU NOKIA.. for such a lame software.. with minimum changable settings, minumum user control.. and no backward compatibility.. thanks :smileysad:

Contributor

miezarnd wrote:

On other notes, 31.0.015 (RM-320) or 31.0.017 (RM-150) firmware is non-hackable. So probably during restoring process, your phone rejects some of the files or setting causing your PC suites unable to completly restored all the backups.

Why should I care if its hackable or not?!  THIS IS NOKIA PHONE, NOKIA OFFICIAL FIRMWARE, NOKIA BACKUP SOFTWARE. What, there was no betatest? Why it should be a customer's problem? Come on

Sage
miezarnd

I can't argue with your experience my friend (pmf026). What I wrote on my reply before was based on my experience using PC suite or even NSU.

To be frank, I've never had that kind of issue before but as a precaution, I did what I explained on previous reply (just in case NSU or PC suite betray me).

V31.0.015
07 Nov 2008
RM-320 - 0555181

In the end I paid out for Noki 1.7 but then found if i'd just downloaded standard PC suite 7.1 NOT NSERIES PC SUITE it worked. Seems it was only my Nseries software which was **bleep**.

Try that first just in case.

:smileyvery-happy: 

NEVER and i mean never use nokia backup tool to backup your phone. It is **bleep** software. Similar **bleep** happened to me on some older firmware’s and it happened to many many more users of nokia and nokia is not giving **bleep** about us. I repeat use other software to backup your phone and be happy.

Contributor

I've learned my lesson. I will never backup with this **bleep** again. Regarding Nokia Customer Care, as I can see they dont give a damn. Fck why not make a fw downgradable?! This is BS. Motherboard bioses are downgradable, same with cd/dvd-drive firmwares, even hard-drive firmwares are, why no option for a damn phone, especially so hi-end expensive like N95-8GB ?!  I'm sure if I were able to downgrade its fw I'd restore my backup no problem. Thanks Nokia! :smileymad:

dharipoorani

Re: Cannot restore my backup messages after software updation

i have taken backup thru nokia PC suite and then paid 450 INR for software update, NOW i cannot restore back my data to my mobile 5800 thru same pc suite,

ALL MESSAGES ARE VERY PRECIOUS TO ME ! Who in this world will help me?

sunmykim

[ Edited ]

pmf026 wrote:

Exactly the same problem I've got. I have N95 8GB phone, I updated its firmware from 30.0.0.something to the latest 31.0.0.15. And backup just don't wanna restore.. Restore process starts, and then says "restore completed"but nothing restored, except some files on memcard. what the hell?! I used Noki extractor to see inside the backup file.. everything in there, including my notes, my phonebook, my keys etc. everything.. it just wont restore from backup :smileysad: 

I have another phone which is Nokia 7610, I have 2 year old backup file I've made.. but stupid pc suite screwed things up for me again..it doesnt even recognizes nfb file which was made by using old version of pc suite... i found old version (tried 6.3, 6.8, and 6.9) tried to restore contacts to old iphone, and it failed.. again!!

I'm so **bleep** right now, just can't describe how much...:smileysad:((  Nokia better come up with an update for PC Suite soon, coz this is **bleep**!

When yo do the back-up with nokia pc suite you must mark all the fields you need, after the backup has finished, you must check if there is the green V under all the fields you choose to back-up.
If you didn't install the updates of the pc-suite when you made the back-up, all the contacts and the mms won't be in the back-up