Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Connection Lost during update::solutions

Advisor
Neiro

Connection Lost during update::solutions

[ Edited ]

I don't want to give you guys false hopes and tell you that this is a surely working fix. Just try these and if none worked, keep digging. If you have more "solutions" add them here.

To all who have this issue, I have tried to fix it since last year by trying to update my N86. Then last night, when Belle was rolled out, I had it again while trying to update my N8. Same issue, but I fixed it. I've been trying for 8 hours and these are some of the solutions suggested on the web (but none worked for me):

> wait for 15 minutes (I've waited for 30, nothing happens. Stop wasting your time and proceed!)

> remove sim/memory card

> connect with Mass Storage mode

> soft reset (also suggested were hard reset, but I think that is best left as a last resort)

> turn off your firewall, and possibly even your security software

> get the latest Suite (I know Nokia keeps repeating this, but I can't believe how many people just ignore this even if they have the older versions)

> delete the 20019119 (not sure) folder in Mass Storage drive under 'private' folder

> restart your computer (worked for some)

> run Nokia Suite as administrator (worked for some)

> redownload the firmware by going to C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Nokia Suite\.....\Variants\ and rename the device folder (eg. RM-596 to RM-596elop), Nokia Suite will redownload the firmware and waste more of your time. Go grab a drink. Preferably coffee, to keep you awake.

> do an online scan for malware/trojan/whatever-not-good, and clean them

Those are the "solutions" I've tried, and failed to see any results. Lastly, THIS WORKED FOR ME.

USE ANOTHER COMPUTER.

or try using another user account and guest account for those who don't have another computer.

Yes, that's it. Funny right? Turns out Windows can mess things up but puts the blame on Nokia phones. Just get another computer, don't sync with it, but just let it back up. If you have a slow connection to redownload the firmware, then just go to the said directory above to copy the file into the new computer. Nokia will detect it (make sure it's in the same folder as in the original computer) and proceed. Good luck to you all!

*Issue on security code during installation is that Nokia Suite will say do not touch your phone even if it asks for language selection or security code. It just asks to enter PIN when phone asks for it. But I've noticed after the first reboot, the second reboot won't proceed until you enter your security code! If you just leave it, it wouldn't reboot the second time. That's the only issue I have during installation. Hope you guys get it!

Please use plain text.
designrs187

Re: Connection Lost during update::solutions

I had same problems with this update and it allways said "connection to the phone was lost" ... I never had a chance to find a solution and I finally found it my self.

When you go to Control Panel, find "Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver" ... click "CHANGE" and then go to "REPAIR".

IT WORKS!!!
Please use plain text.
designrs187

UPS... i forgot to say ... after Control Panel go to Uninstall program and then find "Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver" ... click "CHANGE" and then go to "REPAIR". :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Cryptopsy

Finally, I got it to work!

Read the tip from designrs187, didn't read the addition at first, so I went to the hardware section on the control panel, clicked on 'Nokia USB phone parent' and told Windows to look for updates. It updated the driver after which installation of the update finally started!

Guess it does the same as the tip I intended to use. :smileywink:

Man, I hate this Nokia BS!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
213julius

[ Edited ]

@designrs187 Had the same problem but did the repair on the 'Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver' and now my update is complete. Thanks man!

Please use plain text.
marcous

anyone still having the issue, none of the things above worked for me. What DID work however, was not using a USB 3.0 port. I just unplugged it, put it in a USB 2.0 ONLY slot and it worked straight away. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
markcwilson

I also found that the update worked on a USB2 port but not USB3.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

[ Edited ]

@markcwilson could you do me a favour and check who made your USB controller and which driver version you use: Suite » Menu » Help » About » System Information » Copy text to clipboard. Alternatively, you go for the Windows Device-Manager and click on the properties of your USB controller.

Please use plain text.