Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Disappointed with Symbian Belle! Pros vs Cons

Sage
GeminiPhoenix

A new annoyance:

* Green keyboard tick unresponsive - More often than not, when I'm typing a text message using the landscape QWERTY keyboard, the green tick in the bottom left-hand corner becomes unresponsive. I've lost count of how many times I've gone to send a text for it to not do anything when touched. It often takes two or three touches in order to make it do what it's supposed to

I thought it was just me not touching it hard enough, but it seems to "hang" between touching it the first time and actually doing anything. This was not the case with Anna and previous versions

Also, back to the screensaver clock:

* Screensaver clock - Why is the new digital screensaver clock justified to the left? For what purpose does this serve? Its (superior) predecessor was central. The new digital clock is also smaller. I dont like the design, and much preferred the line drawing numbers. At any rate, it should be central, and there's no reason why it should be justified to the left!

I also don't like how other symbols now appear on the screensaver as well, such as the alarm symbol. Why do I need this on the screensaver? There should be the time, the day and date, and a symbol to notify me that I have either an unread text message or missed call. That is it.

And another thing:

* White notes screen - Nokia themselves advise us to avoid themes that are white in order to preserve our battery power, yet they go and make the notes screen entirely white! WHY? What was wrong with the black lined screen from before? Why go against everything you advise us to do, and give us an application which quite clearly flaunts this advice?

However, credit where credit's due, I will offer them kudos for finally fixing the notes so that we can scroll vertically whilst in text mode, so +1 in that respect

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sl23

[ Edited ]

Since hearing that Nokia were updating the OS to Belle a few months ago I've been waiting impatiently for it's official release. But now it's here I really don't want it!

I expected it to be an EXPANSION of Anna not a completely new OS. Fair enough there's alot of good stuff there, but how many times have I read Nokia say 'We don't want to release it too quickly, it needs to be right' I have a Nokia N8 and 2 days ago tried to update but Belle wasn't available for '3' network N8's. Grrrr....

Now after reading the many posts here, I'm glad I didn't upgrade!!! And I don't think I ever will. Anna is great, there are a few minor hindrances but only a few. One thing I like about the N8 is the long life battery. I'm not giving that up for Belle!

I didn't like the Anna update at first mostly due to silly icons used but it's far better than Belle from what I can see. Belle seems to be more a cosmetic upgrade than a technical improvement. Maybe screen transitions are smoother and stuff like that but Anna's aren't bad. Is there really that much improvement?

And as the N8 is capable of being used as an Access Point using the JoikuSpot app, why the hell hasn't this been added to Belle? That was one feature I was hoping for but there's no mention of it anywhere, so I can only assume it's not been added!

When I got my N8 around 8 months ago I had nothing but trouble connecting it to my PC. Nokia sorted it. I updated the N8 and now I'm more than happy with it. I'd rather keep it as is and never update it again than have a poor android imitation.

Thanks to all who put their comments here as it made me realise I don't want Belle, I prefer the Anna Clock widget as it is. I prefer the Homescreen clock as it is. I actually prefer the N8 as it is. The only thing that Nokia should have improved was performance and battery life. Extra features should've been added like allowing the N8 to be used as a WiFi Hotspot, adding Folders to the Music player, made it easier to turn on/off functions like WiFi and Bluetooth by simply adding a widget like the Shortcut one would have sufficed.

All this new Belle stuff is only good for newbies to old hardware! But why would a newbie want old hardware? I also have a Galaxy S2 so I really don't need Belle. The N8 can't compete with the S2 as it's simply inferior hardware so why try to add an OS that can't work as well? Perhaps all these problems can be ironed out by Nokia but are they still actively working on updates for Belle? Or more precisely, for older Symbian phones?

The trouble with my S2 is that I turn my mobiles off at night and use them as alarm clocks, but the S2 doesn't work as an alarm clock when switched off??? The N8 doesn't need to be on for the alarm to go off. I dislike the screen saver on my S2 and far far prefer Anna's Screensaver clock. Sometimes simpler is better and if Nokia simplified Belle reduced it's graphic content surely that would improve battery and speed of the device it's used on?

If people want graphics then get a Theme! Anna's themes are plain and boring but I have a couple of less boring but not graphic intense themes to liven it up a bit. Simple but effective. Options is what it's all about! Customisation is what people want. The days of buying a handset and being stuck with cr*ppy themes and tones is long gone so why are we stuck with the options on a smartphone like we are?

What about making either a Belle Theme for Anna or make a Theme for Belle so it looks and acts like Anna?

Six Homescreens??? I only need one!

Live for an ideal and leave no place in the mind for anything else
Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

sl23 wrote:

I expected it to be an EXPANSION of Anna not a completely new OS. Fair enough there's alot of good stuff there, but how many times have I read Nokia say 'We don't want to release it too quickly, it needs to be right'

I think everybody expected it to be a continuaton of the Anna update, fixing all of the things which weren't done for Anna. A lot of people expected improvements with the UI, but nobody expected the whole OS to be given a complete overhaul, especially so soon after the Anna update

sl23 wrote:

Now after reading the many posts here, I'm glad I didn't upgrade!!! And I don't think I ever will. Anna is great, there are a few minor hindrances but only a few. One thing I like about the N8 is the long life battery. I'm not giving that up for Belle!

Like you, most of us expected the bugs from Anna to be worked out, and that was it. Anna has its quirks, but is generally a better user experience all-round in comparison to Belle. I can safely say that certain things work much better with Anna than they do with the new software!

Belle has fixed several things, but it's what they've broken which this thread is all about, and it seems they've broken a hell of a lot of things which has many users angry and upset and crying out for Anna again!

sl23 wrote:

I didn't like the Anna update at first mostly due to silly icons used but it's far better than Belle from what I can see. Belle seems to be more a cosmetic upgrade than a technical improvement. Maybe screen transitions are smoother and stuff like that but Anna's aren't bad. Is there really that much improvement?

I too disliked the silly colourful icons of Anna when I first upgraded, but aside from those I really didn't have any issues with that update. I learnt to live with the icons, although I did suggest that perhaps Nokia should have made the PR 1.0 / PR 1.2 icons available as an optional theme

When I first bought my N8 15 months ago, I initially had a few problems with certain things. The issues I had on day one are still unresolved (such as the music player issue). Aside from complaining about Anna's new colourful icons, I don't recall having much to complain about until I updated to Belle. As you can tell from the various comments in this thread, they're justified!

sl23 wrote:

Thanks to all who put their comments here as it made me realise I don't want Belle, I prefer the Anna Clock widget as it is. I prefer the Homescreen clock as it is. I actually prefer the N8 as it is. The only thing that Nokia should have improved was performance and battery life. Extra features should've been added like allowing the N8 to be used as a WiFi Hotspot, adding Folders to the Music player, made it easier to turn on/off functions like WiFi and Bluetooth by simply adding a widget like the Shortcut one would have sufficed.

It's just a shame that this kind of information wasn't available a few days ago from users, although I didn't really have a choice but to upgrade as I had a serious problem that only an upgrade could fix. But for those of you who still have a choice, then I would seriously think about what you value the most...

If you're happy using Anna and can put up with the very few flaws it has, then stick with it and wait for the next update (if there is one for the N8). Certainly stick with it if you like a long battery life! If youre considering updating to Belle, then I would advise you to pop down to your local phone shop and test it out on another handset before deciding to update your own.

sl23 wrote:

I dislike the screen saver on my S2 and far far prefer Anna's Screensaver clock. Sometimes simpler is better and if Nokia simplified Belle reduced it's graphic content surely that would improve battery and speed of the device it's used on?

If people want graphics then get a Theme! Anna's themes are plain and boring but I have a couple of less boring but not graphic intense themes to liven it up a bit. Simple but effective. Options is what it's all about! Customisation is what people want. The days of buying a handset and being stuck with cr*ppy themes and tones is long gone so why are we stuck with the options on a smartphone like we are?

I can't for the life of me understand why they changed the screensaver clock. It was perfect the way it was. The large white outline numbers were a great idea, and it was central. Now it's smaller and made up of weird diagonal lines, and justified towards the left. For what reason, may I ask? It's things like this that make it feel as if they changed things just to say they've changed something!

Anna was simple. That's what we liked about it. But with Belle every action feels like a task in itself, and everything is even more cryptic than it was before! Settings are hidden all over the place, and never where you expect to find them. Things are running in the background which we apparently have no control over. Previously simple operations are now three times as more difficult and require three times as many button presses...

Like you say, options are what it's all about! Belle should be loaded with more options than you would ever want, but it's not. For example, why is "Martin" the only voice we can choose for the message reader? You'd think there would at least be a female voice to choose, but there isn't. Likewise, there's only one default theme - "Nokia Evolve" - Whatever happened to the themes from Anna?

Customisation is what Nokia should be aiming for. Everything should be customisable, just like you would with your PC or car or living room. They've taken a step in the right direction by allowing us to rearrange the widgets, but the widgets themselves are an issue. They initially quoted that widgets would be available in five different sizes, which I read as being each widget would have five sizes available. As it turns out, they're not, as can be seen with the music player, clock, and eMail widgets. If we could choose from five different music player widget sizes, for example, then I am sure most people would be happier!

When we update our software, we expect everything we had before plus more. Not an entirely new OS with less than we had before and worse battery life...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rodger38

To check open apps. Hold down menu button and swipe screen left/right to scroll all open apps.
Please use plain text.
vicky_vk7

I think Anna was better then Belle. I lost TV out option after updating my C7 to belle. Selecting tv out as default setting does not work. I regret updating to belle. Is there any way I can revert back to anna?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I've just had a play with a friends N8 running Belle but I'm not impressed. Funny thing is he has hated his N8 since he's had it but he likes his phone with Belle. Each to their own I suppose.

Ray.
Please use plain text.
Ancam2010

Missing Weather app? It's there under Menu on the N8. Delete a homescreen? Just press the Options button bottom right on any homescreen but the first.
Please use plain text.
barisbabacan

There isn't, I've called the technical service and the answer is no. They're not giving us a choice
Please use plain text.
Advisor
kmawds

sod the weather app - it looks good but is miles out with forecasts any way. I think Anna is where we should have been years ago. Belle is getting anna a bit closer but maybe they lost their way in doing so. Remember the boards FULL of battery issues when Anna came out? Seems we are there again.

The browser i find **bleep** anyway so only use Opera, fast and renders pages well. there seems to be fixes for some of the complaints so it looks like there is a learning curve involved. to be very honest I used to be a PSION owner so have grown up with symbian. However whenver I get chance to play on a iphone the interaction is SO MUCH SWEETER. We are still miles behind. pull down curtain? did that coder wok for Android then?

Can we complain? it's free after all. Our phones came with a perfectly servicable OS in ^symbian (hate the ^ btw)

so dont update it just use it. I might try belle then flash it back to ^symb if I'm not happy.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nvee

Mixed feelings about Belle...but a +1 on the "fixes" listed in this thread nokia brought on things which were "never broken" in the first place...

Continuing on these "fixes" -

Temperamental touch response..Annoying

Camera UI - Belle has a more than semi-transparent overlay on the menu bar at the bottom. While it is good to have quick access commonly used option, the darker shade of grey is a complete distraction when composing a shot...spoilsport!!! Not sure what they were thinking! - A UI breaker

Web browser - used to go on full screen mode...now the menu bar at bottom is permanently visible and reduces the screen real estate...

Music widget..does not take you to Now Playing 

Why would anybody even want to change all this..what is the great transformation they thought they were bringing in..all that effort and focus on all the wrong things...!

Nokia continues on approach on "fixing" unbroken things, especially those which are most commonly used..they should be looking at giving Symbian a last hurrah instead of a whimper...

Nokia does not listen to its loyal fan base...and makes a concerted effort to provide irritants in usage..

Such irritants have taken the shine of other wise what cud have been one of the best updates..

Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

nvee wrote:

Mixed feelings about Belle...but a +1 on the "fixes" listed in this thread nokia brought on things which were "never broken" in the first place...

Camera UI - Belle has a more than semi-transparent overlay on the menu bar at the bottom. While it is good to have quick access commonly used option, the darker shade of grey is a complete distraction when composing a shot...spoilsport!!! Not sure what they were thinking! - A UI breaker

Web browser - used to go on full screen mode...now the menu bar at bottom is permanently visible and reduces the screen real estate...

Why would anybody even want to change all this..what is the great transformation they thought they were bringing in..all that effort and focus on all the wrong things...!

Nokia continues on approach on "fixing" unbroken things, especially those which are most commonly used..they should be looking at giving Symbian a last hurrah instead of a whimper...

Nokia does not listen to its loyal fan base...and makes a concerted effort to provide irritants in usage..

Such irritants have taken the shine of other wise what cud have been one of the best updates..

Very well noticed. Actually I felt something annoying when I was taking some pictures but I didn't realized until now that was that awful permanent transparent bar messing up with my image composition. I totally support your observations and hope they'll be soon listened and fixed by Nokia.

Cheers!!!

Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

nvee wrote:

I too support what you have pointed out. I would have eventually come across these things myself

After testing out the "new and improved" camera, I hate it. I hate that my screen has black borders when shooting in 12mp mode, and I hate that the icons are now along the bottom contained inside a transparent "bar", where before they were just floating icons on the display.

It also seems that Nokia assumes that everybody is right-handed, by locating the "shoot" icon on the right, whereas it used to be in the middle. Of course, left-handed people can still use the camera the other way around, but then they have to rotate all of their pictures on a PC...

There were camera bugs that needed to be fixed, such as the flash being turned back on when you manually change from landscape to portrait and vice versa, but issues like this have STILL not been addressed! They change everything else EXCEPT what's actually broken!

The web browser has had another make-over since it was improved for Anna, but like you pointed out, the new "bars" take up valuable screen real estate, which is undesireable. I like how they've put the most important things on the bottom bar, but I don't agree that it needs to be there all of the time

Like you say, and as a lot of us have said previously here, they seem to have focused on fixing things that weren't broken in the first place, yet neglected those that were. If this is indeed going to be the last major update for the N8, then they at least owe it to us to fix what they've broken, or at least give us the option to roll-back to Anna if we so wish

Personally, I could live without any of these so-called "fixes", and would rather put up with Anna's flaws which I'm familiar with, than have to cope with an added amount of flaws which have been introduced with Belle! Belle's flaws are too extensive to cope with, and everytime I go to use my handset, a little voice inside my head screams "WHY?"

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

What a nice suprise that there are people (like me) that demand to back step "Anna". Please do it ASAP!

One more CONS for Belle downgrade:

You can use oldest phones for

but not N8 with Belle anymore. What I received from Nokia they called and told me that Belle is new so let them time?? What a kind of comment is that! I am sure that Apple does the same??

It was ok with Anna but now, time to sell my dear N8 with Belle. What a shame for Nokia...

I do not touch cons: * Profile not seen on screen, Large email widgets, Lack of widgets in some countries, useless internet explorer and YOU CAN NOT PUT internet shortcuts on homescreens any more!

Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

Nokia also gave us new default apps with Belle. Why? Are we not capable to download our own of our choice?

What the hell is this "Communicator" app? They give it to us, but they don't tell us what it is or why we would want to use it. Chances are, if you don't know, then you most likely don't need it, so why dump it on us?

Likewise, what the hell is "Shazam"? Upon clicking it, it appears to be some kind of music steraming service similar to Last FM. Why is this a default app? Are Nokia being paid to include this or something? Surely we're capable of picking our own apps from the store?

"F-secure" - We didn't have it before, do we really need it now? Surely by having this active all the time it affects the battery life? And again, if we wanted such a thing, then I'm sure we could pick one from the store

And what's with all these extra map and weather icons? AccuWeather comes as default, so why is there another icon called "Weather"? There's one icon for "Maps", another called "Map Loader", then "uides", "Drive", and "Check-in" - Surely these could have all been consolidated into one application?

Likewise, why are there so many help icons? The "About", "My Nokia", and "User Guide" could all be consolidated into one application called "Help" - Why aren't they?

The very one thing that is missing that really needs to exist is an app which tells you what your own mobile number is! This used to be a feature in older handsets, so why is it still missing? If I ever need help with something, it's usually trying to remember my own phone number, so how come that feature isn't included? Yet we have a very informative icon which gives us copyright information! Fantastic!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
chit1bit

ya me too hat belle
nokia has degraded itself by belle
Please use plain text.
Contributor
chit1bit

nobody knows that when u purchase a new thing and its packed how it would b .its only after using it u know
its thought that it would b good but now i m sure whatever nokia releases a new software ,they do it without checking . i would think of selling that phone and buy android
Please use plain text.

Iam first here,i updated my c6-01 yesterday to belle ,now iam uncomfortable with it,same as u.i can tell that i hate nokia belle,it is worse and useless.today i condacted ncc and i finds that symbian anna no longer get again,i think nokia fools us with this update

Please use plain text.
Advisor
drzap00

With Belle, One more critical problem: It doesn't play You Tube/Flv/Flash Contents. The video Player has lost its functions, now it does'nt play HD videos. In some cases Even SD videos are not playable. It is a surprising thing and a billion Dollar question that Whether an update improves the devices or destroy them ? To Nokia later would be the answer. As we all seen after Belle Update.

Nokia must update Flash Player for N8 and other devices immediately.

Dr. ZAP
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Just to point out, the apps like Communicator, Shazam and F-secure were already there in Anna. We can uninstall if we want but if you uninstall Communicator (which is I think a Microsoft app) it will ask youto reinstall next time you hook up to Nokia Suite.

The additional Map icons were also already there prior to Belle if one had updated Maps. I do find them annoying but they all can be hidden if need be.

As for own number, you can do up a my card in contacts.

Main con I find with Belle is the large clock and the fact that we can set folder view as default in sms mode. So far the rest I can live with.

Cheers.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sl23

Come on Nokia sort it out! look at how many complaints there are about Belle if that doesn't tell you something then you have no hope!

For those that upgraded there should be a downgrade option to Anna.

What is with all these new icons? Anna has Maps but after upgrading Anna I now have loads of other stuff to do with navigation/location info that all but two have been put in my folder for useless items! and it's pretty full i can tell you!

Live for an ideal and leave no place in the mind for anything else
Please use plain text.