03-03-2012 13:31 - edited 03-03-2012 13:31
So far I've been positive on the Belle update on my E6 but now I've encountered an unacceptable flaw in the software. This morning I've missed some urgent calls just because I left my phone in meeting mode and you don't see that on screen. For silent mode you have a icon in the upper bar but noting for the other modes. With Anna you always knew in which mode your phone was.
This is not something I take lightly: if my phone for some reason doesn't help me to stay connected I'll have to look for something else. This is why I sticked the the E series. Nokia, you have to fix this.
Can anybody tell me how to reinstall the Belle, I have E7 and dont know where to re-install the software. the Nokia suite only searches for the updates, and I have the most current software. However I have a lot of issues that I think reinstalling SW will resolve it.
I accept that I'm probably in the minority here, as a lot of you seem to be banging on about how great Belle is, but I personally dislike it! In fact, I would go as far as saying I HATE Symbian Belle, after coming from Symbian Anna!
First of all, I'd like to point out that I do appreciate the good points of Belle. I like the fact that they finally sorted out a few issues which plagued earlier Symbian^3 versions. However, some of the major issues seem to have been left unchecked, whilst I feel other aspects have been changed unnecessarily.
After 15 months of owning a Nokia N8, I kind of expected all of the bugs to have been worked out by now, but it seems that 15 months later we are still complaining about many of the issues which we complained about on day one!
I could also live with some of the minor annoyances I have found with Belle, but some are just so frustrating that I often wonder why the hell they decided to change it, especially when it didn't need to be changed in the first place! The clock and the music player homescreen widget are two such features I feel didn't need to be altered, yet they did so anyway just for the sake of it...
After just 24 hours of updating to Belle, I've decided that if I can't find a way back to Anna (I hear that a Nokia service centre can perform the downgrade), then I'm getting rid of my N8. As much as I love my N8 to bits, I cannot live with it with an interface that I am unhappy with, especially when Anna felt like second nature to me! My beloved handset has been altered, and this is no longer the phone I sent the last 15 months using
Here's what I like about Belle:
* Extra homescreens - For me, three was always plenty, but I can see why other people would prefer to have more. However, it would be nice to have three as the default, rather than four, as I am left with an unused screen which is unnecessary for my use
* The ability to rearrange homescreen widgets more freely - I like this feature, and it's something I initially thought was going to be a feature of Symbian^3 when the N8 was first released. Being able to finally place shortcuts anywhere on the screen is very useful, and more intuitive than having to have rows of four
* The dropdown menu - This is a nice touch, and puts all of the most important on / off features in one place (such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth etc). However, I wish that this was a one-touch operation, rather than a touch & flick gesture
* Speed - General transitions and navigation are so much more faster now! As it should have been to begin with...
Anything else which I like (like the faster browser and vertical QWERTY keyboard) are throwbacks from Anna, so I won't mention them here as they don't relate directly to Belle
Here's a list of the things I dislike about Belle:
* Redesigned homescreen widgets - Was there really any need to redesign the primary homescreen widgets, such as the clock / calendar / profile menu group, and music player? On Anna, these were nice neat little widgets which occupied two rows between them - Now the music player widget takes up half the screen, and the clock / calendar / profile group has been disbanded into separate widgets which all take up extra space! Why was this necessary?
* Redesigned digital clock - I don't like the new-look digital clock on the homescreen, and I especially don't like the new screensaver digital clock! At least give us a choice of Anna / Belle designs, so we can choose which one we prefer! I much prefer the original screensaver clock design, and I would rather have the original clock / calendar / profile menu group back in place of separate widgets for each!
* The new text messaging interface - More specifically, the text messaging menu. For some reason, Nokia have assumed that everybody texts using the Conversations feature, and has relegated everything else to a secondary menu option to show the various text message folders. To me this is a big no-no! I like to be organised, but I don't want to keep having to switch to folder view whenever I want to manage my texts, especially when this used to be the default view when I hit the text messaging button!
* New navigation icons and icon locations - Using Belle has become a cryptic guessing game! Navigation icons seem to have been moved around, and the icons changed. More time is spent deciphering what the icons are and what they do, rather than being quick and easy. For a Symbian newcomer, I'm sure they'll pick it up easily, but for a Symbian veteran coming from Symbian^3 / Anna to Belle, they just cause confusion! I'm scared to touch a new icon in case it does something undesired!
* Lack of default application folders - I know, I know, there's the ability to create folders, but who the hell decided that removing default application folders was a good idea in the first place? All of my nicely organised applications have been scattered into one main group! Again, for what logistical reason?
* Headphones no longer work - Like many people, I prefer to use my own choice of headphones, rather than those basic ones that come bundled with the N8. However, after updating to Belle, I find that my headphones no longer work! The sound is not diverted to the 3.5mm jack, and music just plays through the device speaker rather than the headphones which are plugged in. I tried them out on other devices, and they work fine, and they worked fine before I updated to Belle, so this is obviousy an issue which needs to be addressed
* Homescreen wallpaper pictures obscured by navigation bar - Previously, the pictures I use as my homescreen wallpapers fit nicely between the navigation bar along the bottom, and the info bar along the top. With Belle this is no longer the case, where the picture is extended, and these two bars obscure the image below (the navigation bar happens to be semi-transparent, but that's beside the point)
* Application screen button right above the physical button - I honestly don't see the point in having a button in the bottom left corner which does the exact same thing as the physical button on the N8 which is situated directly below it.
* Profile ordering - On previous Symbian handsets, and also previously with Symbian^3 / Anna, it was possible to order your profiles however you wanted. There was also more than four default profiles. However, with Belle it seems that if you rename any of those first four, they retain their position, regardless of alphabetisation. For example, if you created a fifth profile called "Silent (Office)", it would appear in fifth place, rather than directly beneath "Silent" as you would expect
* Renaming the default "Silent" profile conflicts with the dropdown menu function - If you rename the default "Silent" profile to something else (Ie, "Loud"), and also change the profile settings (such as turning the volume right up), then this renders the silence feature in the dropdown menu redundant! You can still select the "Silent" function from the dropdown menu, but it will activate / deactivate whatever profile occupies that second slot, regardless of whether you have it set as silent or something else
* The camera interface - Once again, an example of moving icons when they didn't need to be moved! I used to find that the location of the various camera settings was perfect with Anna, but now they're all along the bottom. Why did they need to be moved? This is perhaps just nitpicking, and doesn't really bother me as much as other changes, but I see no reason why some things need to be changed for the sake of changing things!
Things that needed to be fixed, and still haven't:
* Calculator - In this day and age a smartphone should have an advanced calculator, similar to many hi-end scientific calculators. At the very least, a basic calculator shoud have a "clear screen" button! We shouldn't have to exit the application and relaunch it in order to do a new calculation!
* The music player - Artists and Albums should be separate. End of! If youre choosing a new ringtone, you can browse by either Song, Artist, or Album, so why isn't this the same for the music player? This has annoyed me ever since I first got my N8, but seems like something Nokia are reluctant to fix, despite complaints from the majority of users. Also, why is there still no user-definable equaliser?
Here's what I like about Belle:
Here's a list of the things I dislike about Belle:
Things that needed to be fixed, and still haven't:
@pioneer80 .. you can find "reinstall" option written in small letters in the updates tab of Nokia pc suite.
Today I went to Nokia care to downgrade to Anna from Belly, But for my bad luck, surprisingly i got the reply 'Because you already upgraded to belly, you can't downgrade' ! Is this info correct or do i have to check other branches of Nokia care?
I beleive there should be some options to flash the phone (C6-01) with any version of the firmware......Please help
U can make your own profile if u check the options, as i was also thinking so that there are only 4 profiles that are editable but upon my seraching i discover u can create more profiles of your own need \
One more thing i like to mention that when video is playing the soft volume key doest nt appears until u press the hard keys, as in anna soft key was present, plz bring the soft volume key also
Just installed Belle this evening and much too my regret.
I cannot even access the internet, just the Nokia pre-installed Ovi sites.
How can I download apps now?
Where is the function to install an emailaccount like in Ana 'mail for exchange'? I'm not a computernerd and the 'others' mailboxoption asks for too many settings I do not know the answers to.
Hence, I cannot possibly give further comments to this upgrade since my e-mailfunction is far too important and need to get this fixed first!
Wish there was a possibility to get back to the Ana software! How could Nokia release this???
Any help is welcome.
My dislikes. Sorry if these have been mentioned already, I didn't read through the whole thread:
i have to agree... first the no folder thing sucks and the absence of an analogue clock... am also having trouble getting a document reader and adobe reader for my nokia 500 after the upgrade. i do like the pull down tab and the disabling of data but i hate their email widget.... sucks.
i'll need help with the document reader and adobe reader
It is not advisable to downgrade a Nokia as this may stop the phone from working. Nokia care will not downgrade to Anna whatsoever
12-03-2012 11:38 - edited 12-03-2012 11:39
I have my share of woes too. I am unable to set my microsoft exchange mail client while I could do in Anna. The frustrations vented out are being read by Nokia. Nokia will isolate the most common problems with Belle and come with a fix. Patience is need of the hour.
Also Nokia care points will not downgrade to ANNA as this may cause the phone to stop working.
Could those of you who have posted various issues in 'Belle' please add them to a response under the last response in this thread:
Please just list one line for each topic, and maybe a level number showing how important you think the fix is. As of today, the latest list is at the bottom of page #4.
The list is supposed to be a complete list of all the issues with Belle, starting with those that are really important and working down to others that are more or less of a "wish list". I know that the guys at Nokia have been copying the list, and I'd rather not have left anything out that should be there.
23-05-2012 11:46 - last edited on 23-05-2012 13:21 by Jampe
yes i agree to your points.
i enjoyed anna on my old c6-01. and got my n8 with factory installed Belle.But frankly saying i m disappointed with nokia.
When playing a song and you go to home screen and touch your music player widget it takes you to album list instead of taking you to now playing that's nonsense.
How can nokia remove the option to customize the equalizer and create custom equalizers....
Now that's **bleep** annoying a great feature and nokia just blew it...
Instead it sld add options like surround sound and moods like hall ,live....... etc
3. the wallpapers are spoilt by the navigation bars below and above..better there should be option to keep it transparent....
4. the screen saver from anna all are removed except the **bleep** big clock...i hate it....and nokia sleeping screen is another **bleep**....
5. what exactly is the use of hardware key oly menu and task manager.....y not able to answer an active call and cut an active call?????? how does that sound?
6.when you recieve a call y is there not a sliding answer style thing that nokia 5800 had...to prevent accidently answering a call?and its just annoying when you are talking and your chicks touch your screen the call gets cut.....
only one theme that also **bleep**....y cant nokia ppl supply with number of themes.and y nokia ppl advise us to use evrything black ....? if using black was enough to save battery than evry one sld be usin black wallpapers without any color just plain black hw does that sound.... come on nokia give at least both dark and light versfions of themes if you cant give more.....
8.about FP1 if nokia ppl doesnot want to give it to old phones why are they still producing it?
stop selling old phones. or atleast give lite versions of it to old phones....
i am using nokia for more than 15 years and i am really dissapointed by BELLE release....