Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Disappointed with Symbian Belle! Pros vs Cons

Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@unmaskedfalesh

For point number 7, you can download themes from Nokia store or other third party web sites. Incidentally, I always use a black wallpaper with an AMOLED screen. I don't see the point in having a bright and colourful wallpaper anyway.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
unmaskedfalesh

one more thing i like to tell 

why the hell nokia is so selfish in giving more memory to inbuilt phone memory......??

this is the most annoying thing (esp. in case of phone like n8)

will you ppl run out of memory when you supply the phone with 1gb or atleast 512mb of internal phone memory?

each and every ppl doesnot have time to install third party app and clear cache and other temp folder its annoying.....

if you knw the truth that the phone memory gets low with continuous use why are still stuck with low memory problem......and more over belle took out the option of storing messages to the sd card....now do you call it good...

first give less space in c drive and then force users to store all messages there....

excellent nokia...very gud...hell with you....these all are the reasons ppl migrate to companies like apple or get an android which i am also planing.... bye bye nokia nw no more nokia devices...

and by the way do nokia ppl really care what their customers want...

i dnt think so .....anyways i am still a nokia user and hope they atleast see their users wishlist..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
unmaskedfalesh

@ray 

what is the use of an AMOLED when you dnt see the bright colored wallpers ...the magic of amoled is seen when u use a hd bright wallpapers....

and most of the themes in nokia store are not so lovely..also varbide ui doesnot let u customise a sis theme what a dissapointment... from nokia...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@unmaskedfalesh

Belle didn't remove the ability to store messages to mass memory, it's been like this  in all versions of S^3.

If you want a Nokia phone with more RAM why not try one of the Lumia phones or the Symbian powered 701 or 603. All have 512 MB of RAM.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

unmaskedfalesh wrote:

@ray 

what is the use of an AMOLED when you dnt see the bright colored wallpers ...the magic of amoled is seen when u use a hd bright wallpapers....

and most of the themes in nokia store are not so lovely..also varbide ui doesnot let u customise a sis theme what a dissapointment... from nokia...

The point of the AMOLED is to give bright sharp images when using applications and viewing photos in the gallery. It's also good for watching videos. As I said, I don't see the point of having wallpapers because I don't sit there staring at my home screens. Not to mention that the wall paper would be obscured by widgets and app icons.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
unmaskedfalesh

[ Edited ]

@ray

then y is there six home screens for just to fill them with  widgets?

if no wallpaper is to be needed then y cant nokia be like apple giving just a lockscreen wallpaper and menu homescreen:confused:no offense)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

unmaskedfalesh wrote:

@ray

then y is there six home screens for just to fill them with  widgets?

if no wallpaper is to be needed then y cant nokia be like apple giving just a lockscreen wallpaper and menu homescreen:confused:no offense)

Are you saying that you keep the extra home screens empty in order to display wall papers? Interesting. Each to his own I suppose. Personally, I've removed three home screens as I'd struggle to fill them with shortcuts or widgets. Same goes for my Galaxy S where I only keep three home screens active.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
unmaskedfalesh

@ray

i keep a home screen empty for my wallpaper and rest 2 home screens fr shortcuts...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
q_singularity

[ Edited ]

unmaskedfalesh:

you say you're using nokia for more than 15 years.

you must have by now known that nokia has successfully built a reputation of

- pulling great devices from market once demand goes up (E90 and the entire communicator line)

- introducing toys that are useless / money-worthless with huge fanfare (... need i say anything? just look at the recent launches after E7)

- removing critical featuresets in the name of "update" (anna, now belle)

take any nokia device, but i'll talk about E-series as i am more familiar with them:

1. E-series: name was great, but removed in favour of some numbering convention

2. E61, E62 and later E61i: were great machines, but nokia shrunk it, made it sexier and called it E71, which was good but not better. then came E72 with its own annoyances like email loading time (dreaded message: "fetching content"), lack of camera button etc.

3. E7:

the most underhyped, undervalued, bad timed launch which came when symbian was bleeped followed by MS alliance.

- why can't they give it atleast 800x400 resolution?

- why can't they provide a BP-4L battery?

- why can't they provide an auto-focus camera? a 5mp would have sufficed?! My E90 does super wonderful document close-ups, and why should not i desire the same for E7?

are nokia's h/w engineers that bleeped, that they somehow could not design a hardware that accommodates a BP-4L battery and a resolution > 640x480, and an autofocus camera?

you put a BP-4L monster on miniature miniscule tiny microscopic E72 and E52 and call them great battery life? what kind of bleeping foolish thing is that?

this is bleeping unnacceptable. a lot of tech websites have condemned this.

highspeed processors bleep the skin / environment / power, and E7's 680Mhz works like a breeze for simple day to day operations (not heavy gaming and videos), so low processor speed is not great, but acceptable.

E7's bleeping woes started with anna: packet data logging gone, access point alert all gone. atleast with my E7, S^3 email client did not crash, worked well with hotmail, ovi and gmail.

the other day i saw some screenshots of S^3. they look wonderful with all the colourful icons for contacts, menus etc. anna bleeped those icons and made them all black and white. why the bleep do i need a clear black display AMOLED bleep, when the OS itself is bleeped in its colourfulbess?!

bleeping annoying SMS pop-ups, bleeped email widget, bleeped clock widget, bleeped calendar widget, bleeped theme.

and why the bleep should nokia copy android in its pull down notification? what was wrong with the earlier "access point" system?

SMS characters alert: should i say anything? why would i have to close the keyboard everytime just to see the no.of characters?

what a bleep of user experience is nokia selling?

and why the bleep should i "purchase" an equalizer from ovi store for E7, when earlier devices had it built-in?

if something works, and works perfectly, why bleep it, and call it an update?

E-series customers are not toy owners like apple or geeks like android.

E-series owners are practical people who have business use for their devices. Nokia has completely bleeped the E-series users.

hopefully the update to belle resolves the issues in v.111.030.0609! 

desperately waiting for an update from "Symbian Belle 111.030.0609" to "Nokia Belle" with all the fixes, and without any new tumours!
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Read through your whole list and couldn't agree more. Even for Nokia, things in the real world don't happen without some kind of a reason, and this is no different.

Perhaps Nokia would be happier if all of us packed up and left.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
unmaskedfalesh

yes nokia will b more than happy if we all leave..
Please use plain text.
Contributor
adventor

I'm sure they would love to see us nagging customers go!

I'm only still hangiing around here in the vain hope of getting some kind of an apology really. I don't count on any fixes or getting an option to downgrade. I admire you guys/gals for keeping on pushing for improvements. I've resorted to changing phones.

But I would really appreciate an acknowledgement from Nokia that it was a mistake to  remove functionality, that a warning about the magnitude of the change would have been appropriate, and that the inabiily to undo the upgrade is not customer friendly. Just an indication that they listen and value loyal customers. I feel totally dismissed. Fired as a customer.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

adventor wrote:

I'm sure they would love to see us nagging customers go!

I'm only still hangiing around here in the vain hope of getting some kind of an apology really. I don't count on any fixes or getting an option to downgrade. I admire you guys/gals for keeping on pushing for improvements. I've resorted to changing phones.

But I would really appreciate an acknowledgement from Nokia that it was a mistake to  remove functionality, that a warning about the magnitude of the change would have been appropriate, and that the inabiily to undo the upgrade is not customer friendly. Just an indication that they listen and value loyal customers. I feel totally dismissed. Fired as a customer.

Completely agree.

I watched commented, and was completely ignored when they started stripping out good, valid functionality in the maps betas, that eventually became "retail" versions, and was staggered by the arrogance, hubris and subtle contempt shown to the more involved / demanding users, shunned entirely in favour of oversimplification to appease the keep-it-simple demograph.

What truly irked was the lack of response or recognition that both types of users could be kept happy with the (then current) defaults approach, plus an "advanced" settings option. So it was no surprise that Belle brought similar with it.

I've stuck with Anna and maps 3.06 - there's no way I'll now "upgrade" from versions and configuration I'm happy with, when I know it would just frustrate me with the features or configuration options removed - I already experienced that with maps betas.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
q_singularity

adventor has spoken my mind in a very refined and civilised manner. Where are you from, adventor? How are you able to use such a language amidst pain?

Nokia: can we request you to please kindly publish the list of changes/fixes that we can expect in the next update to belle?

Thank you
desperately waiting for an update from "Symbian Belle 111.030.0609" to "Nokia Belle" with all the fixes, and without any new tumours!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
coolani

Guyes, all 1st Gen Symbian^3 devices are getting Belle FP1.

This is the time we can push nokia to listen to us and fix the issues prior to the release.

I hope we atlest get a fix for very simple and stupid issues which were not there in Anna and Belle messed them up. eg: notification widget, calender event widget, video file play errors etc.

We have to get to nokia and ask for the basic fixed atleast. If we get more than that i'll be very happy. But lets hope for basic things first.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
John_Tesla

Dear Coolani,

Thank you for your post.

Although I am a bit hesitant with the content of your post, in particular with the sentence:

Guyes, all 1st Gen Symbian^3 devices are getting Belle FP1.

I was wondering, where did you get this information? 

So far, there have been lots of rumours going on, specially with a misinterpretation of a statement regarding Belle FP1 by our Italian colleague. 

Just to remind you of  Nokia's official statement regarding rumors on FP1.

We’d like to address these inaccurate reports circulating in regards to Symbian software. We do not normally disclose internal project names, but I need to defend my colleague in Italy whose comments were somehow lost in translation. Symbian Carla was the internal project name for Symbian Belle Feature Pack 1. Not only is FP1 not cancelled, it is rolling out on the Symbian 808 PureView and to other devices. Carla and FP1 are the same thing.

All the best,

John_Tesla

Please use plain text.
Contributor
adventor

Believe me, it took me a while to be able to speak about this in anything more that rude 4-letter words, and there are still dents in the walls where I threw stuff right after the Belle upgrade.

One could say "why let it upset you, it's just a half-bricked phone, not something like a terrible act of nature or a horrible disease, so get over it". But although not a tragedy, it is not trivial either.

Smartphones are extremely personal and even intimate companions. We trust them with valuable information; contacts, photos, emails, business secrets and who knows what other secrets, they help us in social awkward situations ("What should I do? How do I look? Thank heavens I can always fumble with my phone!"), we play games on them while we're on the can, carry them in our pockets close to our bodies many hours each day, and after that they are on the charger next to the bed because they are also alarm clocks. The smartphone is a very personal assistant, and when you buy one, you make sure that it matches your way of working and personal preferences, because you'll essentially be working together day-in-day-out for a couple of years. Nokia was a logical choice; excellent solid hardware, good service, and they had never let me down. The 2110 from 1994 still works as well today as it did then. The E6 with Symbian Anna was the perfect choice for me.

And then one day I pressed the Update Software button in Ovi Suite and unknowingly killed my dear, modest, reliable, practical personal assistant called Anna, and find her replaced by Belle, who starts off her career by making an entrance in inappropriately flamboyant clothing, carrying a big bold 1970's clock. It makes me cringe and gasp for air. What have I done! She's clumsy and turns out to have lied on her resume because she can't do a lot of the things that Anna did very well.

So I immediately want to fire Belle and hire Anna back. But no, it turns out Anna was not a permanent employee, and that the temp agency had every right to replace her with what they consider to be an equivalent worker.

Nokia rationalised this with confabulations about statistics and marketing that supposedly are reasons for making things -regrettably- worse for some individuals, but better for the majority. Added were condescending comments that it was my fault, as I was the one who had willingly pushed the button in Ovi ("Nobody forced you to!") and that I should have kept up to date with current developments, and therefore should have known what Belle was all about. Please refer to your contract and warranty, Nokia guarantees only basic phone functionality.

They were right about that, and I was mad at myself. I was the sore loser who had not read the contract. According to the (European) warranty, all Nokia guarantees is a phone that makes and receives calls. There also is no law against clever marketing: selling phones based on qualities that are temporary. The phone had simply lost the temporary qualities it had at the time of purchase. It can happen with TV's, cameras, and every appliance of which the functionality is largely defined by the software in it.

Had I been a fool to trust Nokia? No, trust is a basic necessity in life (see Bruce Schneier: Liars and Outliers).

Nokia: people here have done lots of work to investigate and list all the things that need fixing in Belle. Apologies for the inconvenience would be nice. And a new optionally installable firmware imagine containing good old Anna for those who want to revert.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
coolani

I'm extremely thankful to John_Tesla for replying. Nokia IS listening at last. I found out the news about N8.Please check it out.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nokia-N8-Getting-Belle-FP1-and-FP2-Updates-Soon-Includes-Minor-CPU-Ov...
http://nokiapoweruser.com/2012/05/23/n8-to-get-lighter-version-of-nokia-belle-fp1-update-soon-and-fp...
These are just two of all the links I found.
Thank you once again.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

[ Edited ]

coolani wrote:
I'm extremely thankful to John_Tesla for replying. Nokia IS listening at last. I found out the news about N8.Please check it out.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nokia-N8-Getting-Belle-FP1-and-FP2-Updates-Soon-Includes-Minor-CPU-Ov...
http://nokiapoweruser.com/2012/05/23/n8-to-get-lighter-version-of-nokia-belle-fp1-update-soon-and-fp...
These are just two of all the links I found.
Thank you once again.

Reading the article in the first link you provided makes me think that the author is getting a little over excited, so most of it may not be true. The last sentence, which states;  "On a side note, a new firmware update for Nokia N8 has just been spotted in Spain at (censored :smileywink:). Software version 111.30.610 will soon be pushed to N8 units, though we don’t have any changelog available for the moment."  shows a lack of understanding and knowledge by the author. The version 111.30.610 being pushed to two N8 variants in Spain is due to those handsets not receiving the original .609 update. The two handsets belong to the Movistar network in Spain so that version of Belle is specific to Movistar only. It's pure speculation to say that .610 will be pushed to all other N8's as an update.

As has been said over and over before, it's better to wait for an official statement from Nokia as to what updates will be made available and when, and to not put much trust in third party web sites.

All the best.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rubnaz

There is so much criticism about nokia and belle. I agree to some extent but all the critics just think, if all cons (not found features) as mentioned, where put in one single phone then, no one in this entire world would ever buy other phone - no expansion of buisness (in terms of economists). And this isn't the case of Nokia and it is the case with all mobile phone manufactures. So why blame only Nokia...and its products....

Please use plain text.