Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Disappointed with Symbian Belle! Pros vs Cons

Counsellor
coolani

Re: Disappointed with Symbian Belle! Pros vs Cons

I too agree with GemeniPhoenix for some points. And I would like to add a few dislikes:

1: Belle doesn't play so many videos which used to on Anna. It's definitely a downgrade which no one would like.

2:smileyfrustrated:til can't sort songs according to names.

3: Captured videos doesn't show up in VIDEOS and are seen on gallery instead. In Anna they were seen in both.

4:When I turn on WiFi in drop down menu, it shows available networks. And when I click on it, it always goes to wifi settings-again searches for available networks and then I have to connect to one which I want. Why can't I click direcly on dwop down menu and connect? Why so many steps?

5:When I connect any USB devide to USB-On-The-Go, it always gives some or the other error. Ofcourse it does connect afterwards.

6:Can't check the remaining battery juice atall like in Anna.

7:Feel camera quality is somehow downgraded (I have N8 dark grey). There's another thread mentioning the same. Don't know how many users actually have noticed it. I'm not a camera pro but still won't like it if it's true.

Otherwise it's a mixed package-something good something bad. Hope we all will get a fix soon or later and everything is back to normal.

The main question is IS NOKIA LISTENING to the problems?

Please use plain text.
RCH_KAUSHAL

Yesterday I upgraded my Nokia N8- with Symbian Belle. Till today evening it was working fine and was very Happy. However, today I had to reset it and therefafter my phone is not working. After switching it ON, it hangs. Even tried to Re-install the software with NOKIA Suite, but due to hanging problem unable to do it. Any solution. Even talked to NOKIA Customer Care in India - they advised to take to Nokia service center. What a Mess......

Please use plain text.
Sage
RiderX

Make a folder "Trash" and move all the bloatwares there.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
coleteo

I am absolutlely flabbergasted that Anyone likes Belle! It has completely ruined my N8 (which I previously loved). If I can't revert to Anna I'll be changing to a different phone. For the record I'm not a complainer but I feel completely duped by Nokia. Belle has destroyed my lovely phone.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
trojenn

I was pretty excited for the Belle rollout but after reading all these reviews i think I'll rather hang on to Anna till nokia comes up with some updates on Belle to fix the major problems as pointed out by Belle users. The functions like easy multiple marking in the gallery, offline widget option etc are really not the ones I'll like to loose because of belle. Thanks to all who shared their experiences of belle especially Gemni Phoenix. But nokia deserves kudos for providing an option of updating to older users unlike other companies whose os become obsolete after sometime.. I had that experience with samsung corby three years back when I couldn't get updated software rendering it unusable.

--- Nokia N8......I'm lovin it...
Please use plain text.
pulkit_2504

ya i totally agree...Anna was far better than Belle...

Request to nokia ---- please provide wid an option of getting back to symbian anna.

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vjnaik59

[ Edited ]

Agreeing to many more valid points stated by Gemini Pheonix.

The only things i really liked in belle is its response rate, individually customizable homescreen shortcuts, swipe down notification bar :smileyhappy:

Other than these there is lot of unnecessary changes done in Belle from Anna :smileysad: as an example of Clock widget,Email widget with just one mail. If 3 accounts were incorporated with tabs kind in single email widget then it was acceptable. Somewhat alike belle's Search widget. Many more are already stated by GeminiPhoenix.

So i can say, performance wise belle is good. But features wise it still lacks behind :smileysad: most due to unnecessary changes made. Neither did Nokia reveal on all other feature changes. 

In ANNA, captured images would goto IMAGES folder and captured videos to VIDEOS. Now all gets mixed up in folder called DCIM. But i appreciate the filenaming as YYYY-MM-DD format :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Jhiro

I've been a nokia loyalist since 1998. I like the idea that there's a lot of innovations all through the years. But when I updated to belle, I had become doubtful of nokia specially in sorting out issues.

1. My photo editor just doesn't work. It turns to black screen after tapping it, no keys no pics only an oblivious screen.
2. Social app doesn't connect even if I have unlimited internet connection. It says "unab.e to connect to gateway".

I hope there's already a solutio or two re my phone's issues. Or could anyone help me witn downgrading social app and photo editor to anna?

Many thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

There are a few neat features with Belle, such as the ability to customise homescreens, and the dropdown taskbar "curtain" (as people are calling it), but everything else needs to revert back to the way Anna was - The widgets, the text messaging, the camera, the default application folders, the screensaver clock, the menu bars, the gallery, notes etc...

By all means improve on Anna, but don't change it entirely! That's not an upgrade, that's just rearranging the furniture for no reason! As many have said previously, the whole point of an upgrade is to improve on what you already have, not to take two steps backwards! It's like Ferrari making a line of cars designed by Pininfarina, and then going to Homer Simpson to design their next supercar! And we all know what happened when Homer designed a car...

I honestly wish I had the power to be able to influence Nokia and the Symbian designers. I'm pretty certain that I could design a UI which was everything every user would be happy with. They're trying to hard to copy Android and iOS, and failing miserably at it, at our expense!e

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that this was all done deliberately to push us all towards the newer Windows 7 Lumia handsets - Naturally Nokia aren't getting any revenue from us holding onto older technology, and they want to force us into buying their newest products. Why would they bother making us N8 owners happy when they can sell us a new WP7 handset once our contracts expire? Something to think about there...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BellX_1

GeminiPhoenix wrote:

> Why would they bother making us N8 owners happy when they can sell us a new WP7

> handset once our contracts expire? Something to think about there...

That appears logical.

But what could be the logic behind launching a new product aimed mostly at business users (E6) and then changing it into a completely different type and style of product only 6 months later? The message I get is "Nokia has stopped making solid reliable functional boring phones for use at work, Nokia now only makes phones to impress your friends with, so dear customer: please take your business elsewhere".

That is not logical when you think about companies in the traditional sense as being places where they make products that people want to buy, because there is money to be made by making boring functional smartphones. Something that Nokia was very good at (Communicator, 9500, E-series, etc.).

But it is logical when you also consider shareholder value. Shareholders are more important stakeholders than customers. Nokia probably chose to become more attractive for investors by focusing on shiny sexy phones. It is costly to maintain different phone OS-types for different customer profiles, it is much more economical to focus all efforts (development, production, marketing) in one direction: hot stylish products for a fast-paced market where phones don't last 2 years.

Losing a couple of critical and demanding customers, even if they have been loyal to the brand for the last 18 years, is likely worth all that. That is why I don't have much hope that Nokia will help us to get Anna back.

Current N900 and former E6 user regretting Belle upgrade
--
Devices owned: 2110, 2110i, Cellular Data Card, 8110, 7110, 6210, 6310i, 6100, 9500, 6233, 5140i, 3109c, N900, E6-00
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vjnaik59

Also the rollout process of Nokia is soo much complicated with product codes.

Ontop they have codes namely SWAP and LIGHT-SWAP for which we can't even update over NSU. 

Am possessing a SWAP and really caused lot trouble to get Belle. And still unsure whether i will be getting if any bug fix updates gets released for Belle :smileysad: because my product code is still a SWAP

And nokia is onto releasing updates depending on their product codes.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nvee

More "fix" which was not broken in Anna : Probably already pointed out..

Photo viewer - When in landscape mode it used to display landscape photos in full screen and potrait photos in fullscreen when in potrait mode...

Now every thing has black borders and it is not fullscreen whichever be the mode..

- a concerted and a conscious effort by Nokia to "break every piece of usable functionality in Anna" is the only way to describe it...what else can it be..

If all such "fixes" are collated together..it will cleary  prove it...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vjnaik59

I really don't want to go completely back to ANNA. But would like to see few goodies of ANNA mentioned in this thread & "wishlist for Belle thread" to be incorporated into BELLE as in a future update :smileyhappy:
Bcz i just loved the free form customization,response rate,swipe down notifications of belle.
Please use plain text.
sevoiram

I am very happy with Belle, the phone overall and appllications work much faster and for some reason Belle heavily decreased the power consumption of the phone, battery lasts much more longer.

Please use plain text.
Sage
RiderX

sevoiram wrote:

I am very happy with Belle, the phone overall and appllications work much faster and for some reason Belle heavily decreased the power consumption of the phone, battery lasts much more longer.

Exactly. The same moaning and whining we could read a few months ago when Anna rolled out. Now they want Anna back. When Carla comes, they want Belle back. Actually Belle runs very well. If you don't like the look and feel, why did you upgrade? There are thousands of youtube videos and blogs describing Belle. Just do your homework before you whine.
Please use plain text.
sddalvi

I agree most of the points from GeminiPhoenix. My major concern is music player. Nokia must improve the sorting of song albumwise and artist wise separatly.
Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

boy i am so happy for both of you, god bless you.

this thread is for people who have problems with belle.

belle did make response times with the device better, but it crippled the device on all other counts.

riderx's reverse domino theory does not work with everybody: i have got myself a PR1.0, and am NEVER going to update it at all. am sure there are others who are like me too.

my other E7 i will use after getting a patch for belle, just like a lot many others.

i, just like a lot many others in this forum, had issues with anna (v25.007) and 8 of 10 of them were solved in subsequent udpates. now belle cripples the whole thing with an UGLY theme. we want anna back.

including myself, quite a many of E7 owners have declared that this is our last nokia. N8 owners are even more depressed.

what i am echoing is a general feeling throughout this forum and not anyone's in specific.

nokia has lost me and quite a many others like geminiphoenix, that is for sure.

for starters, i, just like a lot many others, have a strong disliking for the tiles in WP Mango, including its disproportionate fonts and minimum real estate for actual content. belle is following suite: disproportionate fonts with abnormal looking icons, context menus, menu listings etc. and am not including the other "real" OS cripples that geminiphoenix and others have mentioned.

WE WANT ANNA BACK. I PERSONALLY WANT PR1.0 BACK, BUT WILL SETTLE WITH ANNA.

Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

but... on an another note...

if, i say IF nokia gives anna / PR1.0 back, i will reverse my opinion about nokia, and am sure geminiphoenix and others will be happy too.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

How many people who have expressed their wish to roll back to Anna have posed this question to Nokia, by using the Contact support button at the top of this page?

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sl23

[ Edited ]

Your wisdom betrays you!

This is a forum for nokia products for which they should be taking notice of. It is a place for nokia customers to air their grievances for which nokia should be taking note so that they may improve their products.

Did you actually realise that before your criticism of others?

I for one fully agree with others here. Why is there no option to downgrade, not just to Anna, but any version of an OS? I'm happy I didn't upgrade after all these negative comments. Even if I take them not as being negative but simply comments, where could I have researched before updating that Belle would reduce battery life? Or that the Clock Widget would drastically change? Or any of the other comments here? Nokia DID NOT reveal ANY of that, why would they? If I knew how to program I could do a better job of organising and creating a user friendly OS than Belle appears to be. That's not inflatied ego that's fact! And I expect others here could do better than me too.

Is it really so difficult to allow users to rollback to Anna? I doubt it. Which leaves the simply question why? With the response that it helps drive customers away from old hardware to purchase the shiny new. I like nokia but I'm loyal to no-one when it comes to technology! Why would anyone? If I see another product by another company that performs better then I go for that, no contest! That's what competition is all about. That's why nokia should be trying to sort this mess they call an update for the benefit of the company not their customers.

At the end of the day, no matter what's said or done, no matter what you believe, big companies like nokia, samsung, sony, etc, care for no-one except themselves. I've studied many philosophies and one stated that to be spiritual is the most selfish act there is. No matter what kindness you bestow on others it's ultimately for your own end. Business is the same, if a business doesn't put it's own needs first it dies.

I like the N8 and if nokia sort it fine, if they don't I couldn't care less. I bought a £2000 Sony PC 6 years ago only to find that the DVD drive was a common flaw and failed on many of its units. Sony instead of replacing or reimbursing people on this inherent flaw, actually charged for the privelege of sorting it out. My response? I've never bought, and will never again buy another Sony product. That's what will happen to many users here if nokia don't sort this.

All I can say is good luck nokia, you're gonna need it...

Live for an ideal and leave no place in the mind for anything else
Please use plain text.