Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Disappointed with Symbian Belle! Pros vs Cons

Counsellor
q_singularity

Re: Disappointed with Symbian Belle! Pros vs Cons

i perfectly agree, rubnaz, but show me just one another company that has nokia's profile.

we all (me & those like me) love belle. we all love nokia.

but whether it is here in this forum or in other websites, belle's negatives outweigh its positives. there are even websites that list "work arounds for problems created by belle".

in the history of nokia and in the history in this forum, belle has caused the most user outrage.

just google to validate my point.

for starters, belle looks ugly. and then i leave it to history.

desperately waiting for an update from "Symbian Belle 111.030.0609" to "Nokia Belle" with all the fixes, and without any new tumours!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
q_singularity

while i would "sign my name" (use courtesy: mike myers) too under your post, there are 2 points:

1. someone from nokia did "apologise", but it was more of a condescending rather than sympathy. it said that he was sorry for our bad experience with belle, or something to that effect. but we have to be content with that.

2. trust: nokia's latest v91.003 for my E52 works like a breeze. so support is there.

but with E7 the story is dramatically different. there are political and "other miscellaneous" factors why nokia is messing around with symbian. i suspect so.

why would anyone, in the name of update, superbly bleep a perfectly running thing?

is a

baffling,

perpexling,

frustrating,

painful,

angering,

annoying,

disgusting,

outrageous,

sick,

unfortunate

"situation".

just how humanly or alienly impossible and outrageous would it be to provide 2 more buttons (alongside the reinstall button) in the nokia suite that say:

• click here to install S^3
  • click here to install Anna
  • click here to reinstall Belle

?????

desperately waiting for an update from "Symbian Belle 111.030.0609" to "Nokia Belle" with all the fixes, and without any new tumours!
Please use plain text.
Sage

adventor wrote: ...

Nokia rationalised this with confabulations about statistics and marketing that supposedly are reasons for making things -regrettably- worse for some individuals, but better for the majority...

That reminds me of something. Who remembers the episode of The Simpsons where Homer's long lost brother owns a car company and thinks that by allowing an average unsophisticated car user (Homer) design his next car it will be the perfect car for the average mass market customer. He lets unsophisticated Homer design the car and it ends up as an ugly monstrosity that bankrupts his car company.

Maybe Nokia asked Homer to design Belle :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I just read Adventor's response here that perfectly sums up what has been going on. Adventor, do I have your permission to re-post what you wrote, giving you credit of course, on the other forums in which I participate?

Quick question - Suppose if years ago, you went to a car dealership that specialized in Italian cars, and purchased a brand new model.  The dealership then either fired or transferred all the employees who knew about those cars, and set up a team that specialized in Japanese cars.  You come back a year later, with concerns about your Italian car - but there's nobody left who really understands it.  then what?

Suggestion - Within a few days of purchasing it, I've been able to get my new Android 4 device to do practically everything my N8 was good at, with only two exceptions - the camera, and the old versions of Nokia Maps.  Just like the N8, the Google versioin of the phone comes with no bloatware, and a small collection of software - add on whatever you want.  I then noticed that this device goes far beyond what the N8 allowed me to do.  The camera is "adequate", but I still haven't found anything I like as much as Nokia Maps.  As to the cost, Google sells the thing for only $400, about 20,000 INR in Indian money - a good bit less than I've been paying over the past few years for my Nokia devices.  Bottom line - if you want simplicity, you don't want the N8 anyway - go buy a new Nokia Windows device.  If you want an updated N8, check out the newest Google phone.  Either solution is better than waiting forever for an answer that is never likely to come.

Repeating the best that's ever been written about what happened to our wonderful N8....

Adventor:

Believe me, it took me a while to be able to speak about this in anything more that rude 4-letter words, and there are still dents in the walls where I threw stuff right after the Belle upgrade.

One could say "why let it upset you, it's just a half-bricked phone, not something like a terrible act of nature or a horrible disease, so get over it". But although not a tragedy, it is not trivial either.

Smartphones are extremely personal and even intimate companions. We trust them with valuable information; contacts, photos, emails, business secrets and who knows what other secrets, they help us in social awkward situations ("What should I do? How do I look? Thank heavens I can always fumble with my phone!"), we play games on them while we're on the can, carry them in our pockets close to our bodies many hours each day, and after that they are on the charger next to the bed because they are also alarm clocks. The smartphone is a very personal assistant, and when you buy one, you make sure that it matches your way of working and personal preferences, because you'll essentially be working together day-in-day-out for a couple of years. Nokia was a logical choice; excellent solid hardware, good service, and they had never let me down. The 2110 from 1994 still works as well today as it did then. The E6 with Symbian Anna was the perfect choice for me.

And then one day I pressed the Update Software button in Ovi Suite and unknowingly killed my dear, modest, reliable, practical personal assistant called Anna, and find her replaced by Belle, who starts off her career by making an entrance in inappropriately flamboyant clothing, carrying a big bold 1970's clock. It makes me cringe and gasp for air. What have I done! She's clumsy and turns out to have lied on her resume because she can't do a lot of the things that Anna did very well.

So I immediately want to fire Belle and hire Anna back. But no, it turns out Anna was not a permanent employee, and that the temp agency had every right to replace her with what they consider to be an equivalent worker.

Nokia rationalised this with confabulations about statistics and marketing that supposedly are reasons for making things -regrettably- worse for some individuals, but better for the majority. Added were condescending comments that it was my fault, as I was the one who had willingly pushed the button in Ovi ("Nobody forced you to!") and that I should have kept up to date with current developments, and therefore should have known what Belle was all about. Please refer to your contract and warranty, Nokia guarantees only basic phone functionality.

They were right about that, and I was mad at myself. I was the sore loser who had not read the contract. According to the (European) warranty, all Nokia guarantees is a phone that makes and receives calls. There also is no law against clever marketing: selling phones based on qualities that are temporary. The phone had simply lost the temporary qualities it had at the time of purchase. It can happen with TV's, cameras, and every appliance of which the functionality is largely defined by the software in it.

Had I been a fool to trust Nokia? No, trust is a basic necessity in life (see Bruce Schneier: Liars and Outliers).

Nokia: people here have done lots of work to investigate and list all the things that need fixing in Belle. Apologies for the inconvenience would be nice. And a new optionally installable firmware imagine containing good old Anna for those who want to revert.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nasbat

The contacts showing only names and no numbers. This feature was awailable in ANNA.

It is very troublesome specially when you wish to see the number of your contact instantly.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

Just installed FP1 Belle update on my 700.

Many minor tweaks, the most noticeable one being an explicit keyboard button which hides the keyboard. The previous work-around was a bit tacky.

But they still haven't done anything about the functionality of the email app.

There is still no way to define a default BCC field, so that *all* emails I send can be e.g. BCCd to myself. Travelling people need that.

And still no way to delete many of the preinstalled apps e.g. Public Transport, Check In, Guides, Movie Teasers. On my drive c: I have just 40MB space left but don't want to lose any of the apps I use. The only thing one can do with these apps is to clear out their icons into a folder called cr*p :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
adventor

I sold my Nokia E6 and bought an Android phoone. I now see how much Nokia tried to clone Android with Belle. Main problem with that is that the E6 hardware isnt suited for an Android like OS. And that Belle isn't as good att being Android-like as Android itself. Nokia was good as being Nokia, and not good at being anything else.

But thanks, Nokia, for 18 yeard of great phones. They all rocked, except that last one. Dare to be different Nokia. There is more than enough of the same already. Be yourself. I'm back in a heartbeat when Nokia is Nokia again. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
greengonzo

Hi all, reading all of your opinions for and against has been great! I believe anyone concidering an update (for ANY brand device) needs to ask themselves ONE thing... "What features do i NEED"!
For some time now we've had these forums to discuss and share. I to had some issues with my update to belle but the majority of them were due to it being NEW. Like anyhing new, you have to adjust to/learn it. I'm pretty comfortable with it now and for the things i miss, have had to "let it go". Looking forward to FP1 & FP2 and i imagine there will pros and cons. Either way "keep moving forwar"
Please use plain text.
Sage

Unfortunately you can't make an informed decision about which feature you want/need and whether they will remain available after an update, simply because Nokia does not produce change logs.

There is no roll back once you install new firmware.

So you have to take a leap in the dark and if you find that some functionality has been removed, as is increasingly common with Nokia updates, you are stuck with situation. Similarly if you found Belle is particularly poorly and badly adapted for your E6 you are also stuck with that situation because Nokia don't disclose anything.

We are left having to find out from each other, other people that have taken that leap in the dark and taken a bad fall.

That's not a good way for Nokia to go about things.

Anyway the original nasty Belle was first released in early February, five months ago. It's about time there was some news on a major bug fix/reworking/update for those phone models not getting the feature pack updates.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Tbose

press and hold the 'home' shortcut key on the key-board nd all the running apps will appear as they did in anna. I must say i agree with most of you here; Nokia please bring us back the nicer features we had on Anna thn we can call Belle an 'Upgrade' as it should be. Thanx
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yogflame

Thats what i already did, i had Nokia n82 bt had distortion could not use and sold it, Nokia always have problem and never cared about customer and now due to internet forums they start to care little as they must. But it is to late now so i give they sonen years and they can go back to making tires and rainboots.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yogflame

The n8 is ok without Anything installed but if install stuff it becomes syrup.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LuxLuxLux

It irritates me something cronic that with Belle you don't know who text you until you go into the messages!! What was wrong with the Anna notification widget?!!!! The notification bar is POINTLESS.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
macoki23

when will belle fp2 be released in philippines?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
adventor

It's a bit late but I have some tips for people who, like me, don't want to hang on to their E6 or E7 anymore after the Belle upgrade.

I switched to a Sony Xperia with slide-out keyboard. On first sight, Android looks like Belle. Icons have texts you can't hide, there are many homescreens, long pressing the menu key brings op recently used (or running) apps, and the navigation on the home screen is by touch only (unlike Anna).

There are built-in apps for everything business-related like calendar, address book etc, but as on Belle, it is mostly lots of looks and no good overviews. But different from Belle is that almost everything is available in the app store in many varieties. For free, if you don't mind distracting animated ads taking up space on the small screen. Otherwise apps often cost a few dollars/euros; not a lot and well worth the riddance of the ads. The "work related apps" like K-9 Mail, Business Calendar Pro, OfficeSuite, Task List Pro, Jota Text Editor and Keepass are good and solid. Utilities like System Info, Wifi analyser and Netmonitor are good. The web browser is very much better than on Belle. Widgets come in all sizes. Xabber is a good IM client. Multiple email accounts: no problem at all. For business, the Sony Xperia Pro is just as good if not better as the E6 with Anna was, it just takes time and effort to install and configure everything.

You can use the calendar/contact apps without putting your data in some cloud; but you do need a Google account to use the device and the app store (it has a silly name; "play store"). However there is no real convenient way to sync calendar and contact data unless you use Google.

Like on Belle, the music player is not useful unless your mp3's have artist and genre etc information in them, it is impossible to simply play a directory containing a ripped CD (for instance classical music) in the order of the tracks on the disk. Playlists may work but I gave up and bought Folder Player. Video is good.

Google Maps navigation (in my humble minority opinion) doesn't come close to the ease of use of the navigation by Nokia, but it is reliable and it works.

The camera is hard to use because you need to swipe to unlock the screen, then enter PIN or swipe pattern, then long-press camera button, next camera takes a second or two to load, and usually when you're outdoors you'll discover that the screen brightness is still set to indoors so you can't see what you're photographing.

What was new to me: Google Reader, a news reader; and lots of "specialty apps" like LinkedIn. There are lots of games, and of course Angry Birds. There's so much you can do with the thing that it quite nearly drives one to distraction.

There are some services pre-installed that you can't remove, like Facebook and Citizen Alerts. If you don't use those they still take up resources because they are active tasks all the time. And it is annoying to be prompted lots of times for Facebook updates that you don't need. Plus, you have no idea what the Facebook service is actually doing and no way to find out. To remove those things, you have to root the device.

The build quality is OK-ish; it doesn't break easily but it's all plastic and it scratches a lot, the paint came off quickly in places. When it is put on the table with the keyboard open, the screen tilts slightly the wrong way (away from you), due to the curved back, it is not stable but 'rocks' a little. Incomprehensible that the designers didn't consider that. Definetely something Nokia did better with the Communicators and N900.

Most important thing last: making and receiving phonecalls is just as much a pain as it was on the Nokia N900. Swipe, unlock, press phone icon, press contacts, choose contact, select number, place call; you really need both hands and be careful not to accidentily press call volume rocker or on/off button. It is hard to do while on the go. Answering a call is easier: you only need to swipe. Problem is that the touch screen doesn't react to very cold fingers or gloved hands (just like the E6), and that swiping with a capacitive stylus doesn't work reliably for (pressing icons works just fine). So receiving calls when outdoors in cold weather is difficult. I learned swiping using the tip of my nose, that works well.

All in all coming from Anna: it is sortof the same in functionality but lacks the intuitive, simple, modest, clean look & feel. Coming from Belle: what a relief to decide for yourself how to clutter up your home screens with widgets all of your own choosing, and what a wealth of (business) applications.

Hope this gives some balanced information for those of you who consider other options after the Belle update.

Please use plain text.