Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Disappointed with Symbian Belle! Pros vs Cons

Contributor
millicurie

Re: Disappointed with Symbian Belle! Pros vs Cons

* Camera doesn't show fullscreen when 12mp mode is selected - If you're taking pictures at the maximum resolution (12mp), then what you see on-screen is displayed in 4:3 ratio. Before the update, it was fullscreen regardless of whether you were taking 4:3 or 16:9 pictures!

Are you sure about this one?  I know 12mp mode always takes 4:3 ratio photo so it makes sense that the screen only shows 4:3 (same in Anna, I believe).

* Headphones no longer work - Like many people, I prefer to use my own choice of headphones, rather than those basic ones that come bundled with the N8. However, after updating to Belle, I find that my headphones no longer work! The sound is not diverted to the 3.5mm jack, and music just plays through the device speaker rather than the headphones which are plugged in. I tried them out on other devices, and they work fine, and they worked fine before I updated to Belle, so this is obviousy an issue which needs to be addressed

My headphone works in Belle as well as in Anna.  However, just to clarify, mine is a panasonic noise-cancelling headphone, not headphone with mouth piece for conversation.  Maybe that makes a difference.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
millicurie

One more thing.  How do I delete the Nat Geo and Movei teasers files?  I tried and it said"deletion cancel" every single time.  **bleep**!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
carminez

Anyone else notice the disappearance of the Notifications widget? This was a VERY COOL widget that allowed you to see a preview of incoming text (SMS) messages, or see who's call you just missed. Now when you receive a text message, all you get is a pop-up window saying you have a new message, but you can't see who it is from unless you click the button to open it.

Also gone is the window shade preview of text messages that would drop down from the top of the screen when a new message arrived.

Removing both of these has made Belle a downgrade when it comes to messaging. At minimum, the Notifications widget needs to be added to Belle.

As mentioned by a previous post, the removal of the open to turn all home screen widgets as offline/online is also a negative. Unless there is some nicer way of doing this, I have to hope that any of my widgets don't wake up and need data, or have some configuration option for when they wake up. Otherwise I keep having to disconnect my wifi or 3G data connection periodically. So at the moment I am not using any 3rd party widgets, like AccuWeather, until I find a nicer way to control this.

Other than these things from above, I think the performance improvements as they relate to speed are a great improvement over Anna. I just wish they didn't remove some of these features I mentioned above. Hopefully Nokia will add a Notification widget and better control over messaging. Message previewing is a must.

Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

carminez wrote:

Anyone else notice the disappearance of the Notifications widget? This was a VERY COOL widget that allowed you to see a preview of incoming text (SMS) messages, or see who's call you just missed. Now when you receive a text message, all you get is a pop-up window saying you have a new message, but you can't see who it is from unless you click the button to open it.

Also gone is the window shade preview of text messages that would drop down from the top of the screen when a new message arrived.

Removing both of these has made Belle a downgrade when it comes to messaging. At minimum, the Notifications widget needs to be added to Belle.

As mentioned by a previous post, the removal of the open to turn all home screen widgets as offline/online is also a negative. Unless there is some nicer way of doing this, I have to hope that any of my widgets don't wake up and need data, or have some configuration option for when they wake up. Otherwise I keep having to disconnect my wifi or 3G data connection periodically. So at the moment I am not using any 3rd party widgets, like AccuWeather, until I find a nicer way to control this.

Other than these things from above, I think the performance improvements as they relate to speed are a great improvement over Anna. I just wish they didn't remove some of these features I mentioned above. Hopefully Nokia will add a Notification widget and better control over messaging. Message previewing is a must.

I miss Notifications widget too but now we have that "Notifications curtain" (don't know how to name it) that somehow does this job. Should be cool anyway have a proper Notifications widget with richer options like, perhaps "black list"?.

About the offline widgets I've managed that by turning off wifi and phone data connection. I know it's not the same (at all) but works for now, hopefully until we get all the widgets missing from all the Belle's advertising videos. Some of them are everywhere in the internet obtained from the previous leaked Belles, however they are not an option because they're not official releases and work only on hacked phones.

Actually I'm happy with the update (process and firmware), my N8 is just like brand new again, but I don't understand yet why our update has been released with only a few widgets and not all the previously showed and offered.

Best Regards:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

many people say the same marketing bleep that
"belle has performance improvements over anna..."
etc.

Do they know what they're talking about?

When basic functions are crippled, how do you call it a performance improvement?

1. Music player
2. Notifications widget
3. Connectivity
4. Email widget
5. Earphone
6. Flv & other codecs
7. Ugly theme

... And those that i have left/forgotten

BASIC SIMPLE SMARTPHONE FUNCTIONS THAT WERE PRESENT IN OLDER DEVICES & EARLIER VERSIONS ARE GONE.

and you are calling belle a "performance improvement"? What do you think the meaning of "performance" & "improvement"?
Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

metal_might wrote:
many people say the same marketing bleep that
"belle has performance improvements over anna..."
etc.

Do they know what they're talking about?

When basic functions are crippled, how do you call it a performance improvement?

1. Music player (mine works just fine)
2. Notifications widget (that's a somehow missing)
3. Connectivity (don't know what do you mean)
4. Email widget (there's a fine email widget)
5. Earphone (I can use mine without any trouble)
6. Flv & other codecs (don't really use flv format)
7. Ugly theme (that's a matter of taste and for me it's just fine)

... And those that i have left/forgotten

BASIC SIMPLE SMARTPHONE FUNCTIONS THAT WERE PRESENT IN OLDER DEVICES & EARLIER VERSIONS ARE GONE. (that's a very personal perspective wich I don't agree with)

and you are calling belle a "performance improvement"? What do you think the meaning of "performance" & "improvement"? A phone more responsible, touch sensitive, fast, reliable, etc, etc, etc.

N8 recently updated to Belle.

Cheers!!!

Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

my other E7 has PR1.0, and i have no intention of updating it, as it is:

"A phone more responsible, touch sensitive, fast, reliable, etc, etc, etc."

i regret having updated my E7 with belle as it is NOT

"A phone more responsible, touch sensitive, fast, reliable, etc, etc, etc."
Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

also, what i have summarized is what is being said in this forum everywhere by a lot of people and is no way personal/relative. You don't have to agree with me though.
This forum is for those who face problems so that nokia folks take cognisance and deliver a patch.
Cheers.
Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

To upgrade or not to upgrade...

It's always your choice, pal.

Cheers!!!

Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

yeah but nokia is not offering us the choice, like geminiphoenix pointed out elsewhere in another context. I cannot reinstall earlier firmware if i want to, frinstance.
Nokia has to just enable an option where user chooses firmware version and download to their device.
Why i am saying this:
my E7 with PR1.0 says "update available", and when i check the update, you know what? It is Anna, v25.007! Not belle! So i assume that first i have to bleep my device with anna, then belle will take over.
What kind of confusion is that?
Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

user experience is everything.
Some users get carried away by look and feel.
Others look at functionality.
Some look at both.
Nokia was doing a happy medium and that is why it was leading the pack.
With anna (pl read posts abt how anna was a big bleep) and now belle, that happy medium is gone.
Bleep!
Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

metal_might wrote:
user experience is everything.
Some users get carried away by look and feel.
Others look at functionality.
Some look at both.
Nokia was doing a happy medium and that is why it was leading the pack.
With anna (pl read posts abt how anna was a big bleep) and now belle, that happy medium is gone.
Bleep!

How I see the Belle update is: A great update with some missing things.

Anna was for me: The firmware that Symbian^3 devices must have used since the very beginning.

So, how I see this, it's not about returning to Anna the best thing to do but asking for all the missing things in Belle's update is the proper way to go further.

Best regards.

Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

nype78 wrote:

What GeminiPhoenix wrote is absolutely right. Why change things just for the sake of changeing things? I cannot understand why Nokia eliminated some features or made some features worse than they were in Anna. Some things I hate about Belle:

- Mail widgets need too much space

I have the same problem as GeminiPhoenix. I had five pop mail accounts on one homescreen and the "missed calls / messages / appointments" widget on top of it. Always informed of new messages without having to change the screen. Now that I have three new home screens, I need two of them to place my mail accounts. Of course one could think of forwarding the different accounts to a single one, but I don't want to change my mail accounts depending on the smartphone's ability to use screen space.

Needless to say, that settings and sent mails for all but one account were lost after update.

- Conversation view for messages as default and not customizable

GeminiPhoenix already said it: If you want to be organized, this is very confusing and for shure not an improvement.

Quoted for truth!

It's almost as if they're deliberately making Belle look bad, so that they can buy themselves a bit of time to work on these features and make them better for the next update (Clara? Is that what we're going with?). But I feel that rather than going back to the way things were with PR 1.2 / Anna, they'll redesign everything again based on their Belle designs. This is not what we want. We want the previous widgets back - The ones we have been using for the last 15 months and are happy with!

nype78 wrote:

- Connection of network drives not supported in Belle

This feature has gone. I'm using a NAS at home as storage for music, fotos, videos, documents. No need to say, that transferring data from/to phone via WiFi and the network drive was a killer feature.

- Calender widget with one line is ridiculous

and it doesn't even show the date. There's nothing more to say about that.

- Voice commands not triggered through call button

Now I have to use the widget - OK. Do I have to place it on every home screen? Why, that was perfect and very comfortable.

- Rotate screens button missing

Maybe not many people used that thing, but if the phone is in my docking station i prefer to push one button instead of swiping around. Now, that the menu button, which does exactly the same as the hardware menu button next to it, is placed in the bottom bar, the screen rotate button is gone - no improvement for me.

- Ringtones deleted

Maybe this sounds nitpicking, but why the hell did they drop ringtones from Anna to Belle? Well, since all group and individual ringtone settings were lost during update, one could expect, that noone would notice. It would be OK for, if they added some ringtones, but why delete some of the old ones?

- Missing weather app

Almost forgot the weather. Introduces in Anna, presented in the Belle trailer video - not available now. Just got used to it.

I don't know what else is not working. After the update, almost all email settings were gone, Wifi settings were gone, all apps have to be downloaded/purchased again (and of course set up again, and I'm not only talking about save games), Wifi Connection doesn't work, 3G connection does not seem to work either, didn't connect the bluetooth headset yet, but I heard this will also be lost, ...

If they had presented an update that preserved old features and let people operate their phone as they were used to, being offered new or alternative functionality, everything would be fine. But this one-way-ticket to a system that cannot be customized to work as the old one did, makes me really sick! I was happy with my N8 until yesterday. The reason, why I updated was, that I wanted to use six homescreens and the Microsoft Business Apps (which are not yet available ;-). There was absolutely no information about what was changed in terms of what was deleted. I will try to downgrade to Anna and wait for an improved Belle or Clara version.

I think, the main problem is, that Nokia tries to look like Android. If I want an Android phone, I buy one. I bought the N8 because of all the features (camera, FM-transmitter, HDMI, offline navi, network drive) and was happy with the usability of the first version and even more after the Anna update. Now I'm not and I'm not willing to live this new behaviour with just because the press calls menu folders 'old school'.

You also raise some valid complaints here which I have yet to touch upon in this thread. I can't say that I use all of these features, but I can understand how the changes have impacted you

I also agree that the rotate feature should be present. I also noticed that some ringtones seemed to be missing, but I couldn't be 100% sure on that one, but since you mentioned it I am now more sure of myself. I'm also pretty certain that the message tones have been altered - If anyone could confirm this, then that would be great!

Like you say, Belle now feels more like Android, and if we wanted an Android handset then we would have gone out and bought one! Like I said in a previous post, Nokia seem to be more interested in attracting ex-iPhone and ex-Android owners, rather than pleasing their current user base which have stuck with Symbian for the very reason that it's not Android or iOS!

Preservation of older features is what's key here. They've just taken it upon themselves to change things for no apparent reason. I'm sure there are reasons why, but they're never going to tell us, although I feel as if they want each update to have a unique look so they can market it better, rather than it just being a bunch of back-end tweaks.

Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

[ Edited ]

barisbabacan wrote:

I have an E6-00 an I can turn off widgets by holding home screen button, but that's not a solution. I love Anna and spending 1 day with Belle, I HATE IT. I agree with everything you've said. I've discovered everything in Anna in 2-3 hours and it's really easy to use. Altough with Belle I can't be sure what am I doing, like you've said they hide almost everything. By the way I was able to see how much battery left in Anna. With Belle, do I have to say it?

Same here. There weren't really many major changes between PR 1.2 and Anna, except maybe the colourful icons, more intuitive browser, and introduction of a vertical QWERTY keypad. I noticed one or two things had gone missing, but generally it was familiar. However, Belle is a different story...

It feels as if I have an entirely new phone. That's probably the premise that Nokia were going with, but that's not what existing users wanted. I'm feeling my way around Belle as if it's my first time with a new handset, even though it's the same one I've cherished for the last 15 months.

It almost feels as if the UI has been designed by an iPhone owner, who is secretly trying to turn Symbian into iOS!

Organisation seems to have gone out of the window! Everything about Belle feels like an anti-solution to tidiness. Somebody at Nokia really has a hatred for folders! As I've previously mentioned, the text messaging folders are hidden away in a sub-menu, and default application folders no longer exist at all!

Before Belle was released, I was concerned about the lack of application folders. They said that the Search feature would solve this problem. I wasn't convinced. The Nokia team then assured me that there would be the ability to manually create new folders. Fair enough, I thought, until I actually updated...

* Lack of default application folders - It didn't bother me at first, until I actually came to organising my applications bacck into the groups which I previously had them in. It took me a good hour or so! As I was doing this tedious chore, I wondered to myself why anyone would take away the default application folders? Were they really that offensive that there was public demand to remove them? Did users express that they wanted every single application dumped into one place, unorganised? I don't think so.

It seems counter-intuitive to put all that effort into designing new folder icons for Anna, onto to then discard them entirely with the following update. I've now re-sorted my applications into their appropriate groups, but I'm left with a screen full of ugly folder icons. A far cry from the specific group icons we have previously been used to!

As I complete this menial task, I ask myself why anyone would put us through this? Why deliberately make things harder for the user? And it was a tedious chore, I can assure you! Moving one application at a time, and you can no longer drag an icon and drop it into the folder icon either! What also made matters worse is that the arrange timer only gives you a three seconds to move the icon before reverting back to normal state, which was very frustrating as I had to keep holding down and selecting arrange each and every time!

It made me angry to say the least! Before the update I had everything nicely organised, and then they were all dumped into one place

Something else which annoyed me whilst organising my applications:

* Inability to delete unwanted default application icons - When organising my applications, I came across something called "Ovi What's Hot". I have no need for this icon, and will never use it, so I tried to delete it... To no avail. The phone actually refused to delete this icon! WHY?

I don't want it, so why have Nokia forced it upon us. At the very least, I expect to delete everything except for necessary applications. This certainly does not fit into that category. It's just a shortcut. So why can I not delete it? It's just taking up a valuable icon slot! This is one reason why folders are necessary, so I can hide away unused and unwanted icons

Oh, one other thing as an extension of what I just said above...

*Inability to delete unwanted default bookmarks - This has annoyed me for a few updates, but why the hell can't we delete the "here and now" bookmark from the internet browser? Like with the "Ovi What's Hot" icon I mentioned above, I don't want it, I have no need for it, and I want to delete it. But I can't. WHY?

Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

[ Edited ]

noki2000 wrote:

How I see the Belle update is: A great update with some missing things.

Anna was for me: The firmware that Symbian^3 devices must have used since the very beginning.

So, how I see this, it's not about returning to Anna the best thing to do but asking for all the missing things in Belle's update is the proper way to go further.

This I have to agree with.

A lot of people are annoyed with Belle because it's missing many of the things that we've been used to, and changed many other things that didn't require changing. In some circumstances, updating to Belle has broken certain things (such as my headphone problem), but fixed several others.

Most people have updated to Belle, realised it's not what they expected, and want to revert back to Anna. Anna may not have been perfect (if it was, then we wouldn't need an update!), but a lot of people would rather suffer the minor faults of Anna and have their functionality back, than make do with the improved Belle minus several features. After three days with Belle, I know which I would choose...

However, like you say, hankering for Anna is not the solution, whereas trying to convince Nokia to improve Belle is the way forward. Hence why this thread exists. They're probably well aware of what's missing, and have plans to re-add certain things with forthcoming patches or updates. I am also pretty certain that they are monitoring this thread very carefully, providing them with very valuable feedback!

If I could, I would love to design the whole I from scratch, but I can't. We can also not control what Nokia do, but we can attempt to influence them to provide us with what we want. The only way of doing that is by giving them constructive and detailed feedback, which is exactly what we're doing in this thread. I'm sure they don't enjoy reading complaints as much as we don't enjoy writing about them, but they're all valid and they all go towards making a better product for everyone!

My only fear is, it may be too little too late. I've had my N8 for 15 months now, and still it doesn't work as I expected it to. In fact, after the Belle update, it works worse than the day I bought it! However, I have faith that Nokia will address these issues in the near future and fix the problems we have mentioned in this thread already...

Please use plain text.
inram

[ Edited ]

A not disappointed user!

I got my N8 14 months ago and updated it to Belle a couple of weeks ago, and have basically enjoyed it. Personally it felt like getting a new phone with the Belle update which in itself was exciting. However, there are ups and downs, pros and cons with most things also with the Anna vs Belle or vice verse. To those who consider whether to update or not I've listed a few of my experiences below.

I like:

- The new look and layout (i.e. the clock, 6 home screens, widget and shortcut option and flexibility).

- The mail app which downloads and shows the e-mail faster.

- The web browser. It's smoother and way faster when returning to "the main" site. Thumbs UP!!

- The drop down menu with connectivity and notifications.

- The possibility to have individual contacts and not only the scrolling bar as in Anna. Which by the way is also in Belle.

- The log seems a bit strange at first. But when looking a bit closer it's really neat and shows not only the missed calls etc but by swiping one sees the call durations and data counter. Go Nokia!!

I dislike:

- When my contacts call me I can't see the persons name nor picture, just the number. Very strange! I'll try and restart it and see how it reacts then (this point is thus in process!!)

- Indeed, I find the battery last shorter so I've just turned the mobile data, wifi and BT off when I don't use it. However, with Anna it usually was on all the time, and it didn't seem to drain the battery?!

- That there is no option to press the battery to change it into saving mode. It could be in the drop down menu, which would make it just perfect.

- Skype does not seem to work with this update, and I really miss it since I use it quite frequently.

- Though I like the flexibility in placing the widgets and apps it's rather annoying that one has to do the setup both for the vertical and horizontal screen. I.e. the screen looks good in vertical but when changing it to horizontal it becomes a mess. And since the space is used up, one has to delete the widget or app to give space to move around.

- As someone else also had mentioned, the calculator seriouslly could get more options, ie get advanced calculations.

However, one thing I really love with my N8, Anna or Belle doesn't matter I believe, is the fact that I can watch movies or just plain data from a memory stick. Basically external hard drive with limitless space! And additionally when watching a movie plug the phone via HDMI to my TV - Voila! The perfect mobile theatre! :smileyhappy:

So in conclusion I'd recommend the Belle update since the e-mail, the browser and layout do it for me. Additionally the video camera now shoots in 30fps.

Cheers,

inram

Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

- The log seems a bit strange at first. But when looking a bit closer it's really neat and shows not only the missed calls etc but by swiping one sees the call durations and data counter. Go Nokia!!

the log app of earlier symbi devices had the following options in the filter:

1. packet data access point use per instance

2. all outgoing communication

3. all incoming communication

4. all packet data connections

5. all wifi connections

6. incoming SMS

7. outgoing SMS

8. selected number

anna was a leap backwards. only calls & SMS are shown, belle only worsens it by modifying the filter option.

2. i don't understand what you mean:

- The possibility to have individual contacts and not only the scrolling bar as in Anna. Which by the way is also in Belle.

- When my contacts call me I can't see the persons name nor picture, just the number. Very strange! I'll try and restart it and see how it reacts then (this point is thus in process!!)

Classic nokia. happens when there is a duplication of contacts. it is S60 bug and not Symbian bug. Symbian 9.1 of 2005 did not have this problem.

- Though I like the flexibility in placing the widgets and apps it's rather annoying that one has to do the setup both for the vertical and horizontal screen. I.e. the screen looks good in vertical but when changing it to horizontal it becomes a mess. And since the space is used up, one has to delete the widget or app to give space to move around.

there is a workaround. do not place widgets as you like. place them in the square slots that they default into. this way you don't have much of a mess when orientation change. anna and pre did not have this problem!

the other points: i agree.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Prettykitty

I agree with a lot of the points you have mentioned. Including the ones about the widgets. I hate the new clock also, for the reasons you pointed out. I have to say the main thing that is bugging me is the fact you can no longer see the battery percentage. This was very handy to me. Now all there is is a bar- you cant tell much from that. Also the feature which enabled you to check if there are any open applications has gone. I had downloaded an app from the Ovi store that showed this aswell and allowed me to close any unwanted apps and processes. This has also disappeared from my phone and appears no longer available. Now i have to go into the menu just to make sure nothing is still running! It was also handy to be able to click on that feature to re-open something you had intentionally not fully exited.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ajayc601

[ Edited ]

Nokia Belle lacks the following thinngs.

• UCWeb browser doesn't work.
  • Google map doesn't work.
  • FLV formated Videos not playing
  • Gallary has dismissed the Zoom stick. (now must have to tap to zoom with two fingures)
  • GPRS symbol appears forever on top of Homescreen
  • Nokia Map takes longer to load image and consumes more internet data
  • All the applications in single page which let anyone confuse more and scroll up/down.
  • missing Default Application folder(Extreamly necessary to install external applications)
  • My C6-01 frequently Hangs in Belle as compared to Anna ( Anna was better)
  • Belle doesn't show list of "open Applications" (you have to go inside and be ensure whether any application is running or not)
  • Bettery level percentage missing
Please use plain text.
Sage
SR_N8

IMHO Belle is a must have update! Many negative comments but it is normal thing if you recall reaction to Anna and previous changes ... With Belle be carefull what widgets you use... GPS apps and too frequent refreshing intervals for mail apps and similar will drain the battery... So, try all widgets but select only those you need daily, auto refreshing of mail etc. put the longest, if you need to check mail just refresh manually. For network use dual mode instead of just 3G, not sure but hope it is set for using 3G only for GPRS connections not calling (if someone knows pls confirm). Look at Nokia Beta Labs frm time to time. Belive Belle is last major update for N8 due to obsolete hardware... But hope successor of N8 will be have option of using Belle/Carla etc. and WP both... This really would be great. Nokia should give choce of choosing platform to users!

Please use plain text.