Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Disappointed with Symbian Belle! Pros vs Cons

Contributor
VijayPadiyar

Re: Disappointed with Symbian Belle! Pros vs Cons

[ Edited ]

Few issues with Belle:

1. Messaging app should give option to choose folder or conversation view upfront. Currently it shows conversations upfront, but when new message arrives, it takes you back through folder view on exiting.

2. Tapping Back/Menu icon (bottom left) does not work many times. It needs to be tapped multiple times.

3. Camera UI taskbar takes up part of the screen. Can't be hidden either while clicking photos or while viewing them. Earlier transparent camera UI was much better and non-intrusive.

4. Status bar is not properly designed. Rightmost network strength bar is thinner than other bars. By contrast, status bar is proper in Nokia Store Client. You can see battery icon shift to the right and rightmost network bar thicken when you open Nokia Store Client!

5. Status bar needs some color, specially for battery level. Currently it's difficult to make out how much battery is left. Adding color like red/yellow/green would help.

Regards

Vijay Padiyar

http://www.vijaypadiyar.in
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ocelotrevs

I'm not really sure why the music player widget needs to be so big. It takes up half the screen for no apparent reason.  

Please use plain text.
andigee

I agree with much of what has been said. In another post, someone commented that the Belle update is much less business-friendly than the Anna update. I would agree with that. Belle seems to be aimed at a social-network crowd, not the business user as Anna seemed to be.

Things I like: 

- Faster, smoother response

- More creativity with the screen space (although not enough: see later)

- The bottom bar (with the call, etc) always available

- The drop down connectivity option (although I don't like that you can only activate "Silent" on it)

- Adding events to the calendar is very similar to Anna, but I like the slight improvements.

- The camera buttons are better laid out. Thanks.

Things I don't like:

- The calendar is a real missed opportunity. The widget is way too small to show the info that I need. In Anna I could see at least 3 items (e.g. my to do lists as well as my Aunt's birthday & my next appointment). With the email, Nokia has proven that it's not afraid to use screen space, so why not make this a variable size widget (i.e. allow my to stretch it over 3 lines if I want to). That would allow me to see all that I want to see.

- The email is a mess up. I don't need to have all of that screen space wasted. I had all 3 of my email addresses displayed so that I could check them at a glance. Lovely. Now I have to flick between screens and that is extremely irritating. Again, if the size could be made variable, I could have changed the size to suit me and show as many emails as I wanted (reducable font?)

- The wifi issues are a huge headache. For that alone I'm heading down to the Nokia Care Centre tomorrow to get them to dial me back to Anna. Any update that makes life harder and not easier seems to have been very poorly tested. Bad Nokia. No sweeties for you.

- I was hoping that the screen saver would be adjustable (clock size, notifications, etc). It isn't and I want the clock bigger (like Anna)

- The clock on the home page is not good. Anna allowed me to take one glance at the screen and know the time, date & what profile is active immediately. That was all of the info that I needed. Belle does not do that and that is not good enough.

- The single contact (big face) is not an attractive idea to me. I like the ribbon (again, it would be nice if it could be allowed to be varied in size. Perhaps I could have two lists (or more!) with various contacts.

- Why are we only allowed one of each widget. If I want one of the home screens to have a calendar and the clock and another to have a fuller calendar and a few other apps, then why not?

- I think that the music widget is overkill. The one in Anna was fine. But if it could be made resizeable, then we might have something there.

- The camera needs an option where I can put the date & time into the picture please.

- In another post, someone mentioned the labels over the icons. These should be able to be removed as an option.

Overall, I am not impressed. I aim to go back to using Anna until I hear about "Chloe" (or whichever girl's name that starts with a C that will bring an update). But next time I'm going to do some reading about the problems with update before installing it.

Please use plain text.
mihakkin

Where did my softwares go? I want it back, asap. Yes, I took backups while installing the update, but haven't got anything back. I will not tolerate this kind of **bleep**.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jlscott777

Perfect for you, not everyone, I happen to like the new widget, easier for read and scroll through emails.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
SANAKHT

I agree GeminiPhoenix after a few days with belle it became unbearable . I flashed back to anna and installed all my apps that didnt work with belle. All the things you listed are true plus apps just freezing was just too much .

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ozymandias

Thank you andigee for your thoughtful comments especially this one which I found to be the most helpful comment of all:

" In another post, someone commented that the Belle update is much less business-friendly than the Anna update. I would agree with that. Belle seems to be aimed at a social-network crowd, not the business user as Anna seemed to be."

I am one of the people still waiting for the Nokia Belle update to be made available (Orange UK) and have spent the wiiting time since 7th Feb reading through these discussions to try and get an idea of whether to update or not when Belle eventaully becomes available. I was surprised and worried to read that a lot of Anna functionality has gone (like other people I thought Belle would offer more and not take away) and I wanted to get a sense of whether what I would gain from Belle would outweigh what I would lose from Anna.  However I was in a lot of confusion giving the polarity of the conflicting views expressed here - some people seem to love Belle and some people hate it .  I have never had a problem with Symbian and have enjoyed using Anna.  My N8 does everything I want.  I mostly use my phone for work (emails and access to Calendar and Word docs when I am away from my office, and internet access).  I want a serious phone.  when I have used  Android phones (several friends rave about them) I have found them irritatingly gimmicky and toy-like.  Andigee's comment helped me realise that I maybe want something different from my phone than other people.  In the end I decided that the only major plus offered me by Belle would be the 6 homescreens but didn't really think this would be worth trading for all the other Anna functions I would lose.  Then yesterday  I discovered a way of getting extra shotcuts onto my 3  my N8 homescreens so I no longer really need the 3 extra homescreens offered by Belle.  I have therefore decided to stick with Anna for as long as I can and wait to see if some of the Belle bugs are fixed and/or some of the lost Anna functionality restored.  I can't beleive I am the only person who doesn't mind using an OS which makes me work out how to do stuff but - in return - allows me the choice to do things just how I want to?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

ozymandias wrote:
  I can't beleive I am the only person who doesn't mind using an OS which makes me work out how to do stuff but - in return - allows me the choice to do things just how I want to?

You are right not to believe as I belong to the same camp as you. I'm more than happy to stay with Anna for the foreseeable future and possibly until the end of my N8's life.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
andigee

Having played with the Belle system for a little bit longer I'm finding that I miss the following (that were all in Anna):

- Being able to press and hold on an email in order to get a delete option straight away. I didn't have to open the inbox in Anna if I just wanted to delete the email without reading it. Not the case in Belle.

- There is no delete button on the task bar at the bottom of the screen when opening a message conversation. So to delete you have to first open the pop up options menu and select delete. Only one more step, but less efficient than Anna.

- When using Whatsapp (a major reason for getting the phone that I got), the title bar at the top disappears when I want to type a message. Most of the time I do know who I'm talking to before I start typing, but that name at the top is actually quite nice. Belle makes the name go away until you've stopped typing. Not nice.

- The wifi problems. I emailed support and the techie gave me the same advice as in the FAQ's on the Nokia site. It didn't work and I told her that. Now I'm waiting... (still without wifi)

- The calendar with more than one item showing (see my previous post)

- The date easily viewable next to the clock. Very difficult to see as it is now.

- The ability to choose where I want my contacts list to be stored. Belle only allows me to use the phone (and that is limited space-wise). I preferred having them in mass-storage.

- When typing an "I" with Anna, I simply flicked the uppercase and it quickly gave me the "Uppercase first letter" option first. So I typed and it immediately reverted back to lower case. With Belle, I have to flick to uppercase and then remember to flick to lower case afterwards. It's quite irritating.

- I moved the music player widget to the bottom of its home screen so that when I rotate the screen it will be on the right hand side (which is perfect for when I'm driving and it's in its cradle. However, when I rotate the screen it immediately flicks it to the left hand side of the screen. Terrible!

Things that still aren't there (but which should be):

- In order to move a shortcut to another page, I have to delete it on the page where it is and then establish it again on the new page. I would love to be able to drag it over to another home page instead (although I do like the ease with which I can now position the shortcuts). 

- I agree with the earlier post about the calculator needing an upgrade to a scientific one. I would love to do more detailed calculations on my phone, but that's not going to happen on a basic calculator.

- A multi-level To-do list! There is a nice-ish app that can be used, but now that widgets are available, a decent To-do list widget that takes up at least 2 lines would be most appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dcwirtz

Maybe you should try moving your widgets around again. I installed Belle and have no problem moving widgets from one home screen to the next. Just tap, hold, drag to edge of the screen and then drop it on the other home screen. Voilà!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jithosh

[ Edited ]

Voice dialling feature. I am also facing the same problem of voice dialling in my C7 after Belle update. I use voice dialling on my phone but now it has not only become unstable but it is not recognising also most times. Hope Nokia will make a fix.

Please use plain text.
andigee

Thanks for the tip! I did just that and it works well. Glad someone was thinking outside the box (homescreen?) in the design department.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
drzap00

Noka's Belle Update is simply **bleep**, a great failure. I am using N8-00. After Belle update, I am unable to watch/play Youtube, Flv files and HD videos. All these things were working great, while I was using Symbian Anna. Belle should have improved video viewing quality, but: they have further reduced device functions. It is really hateful and irritating.

I suggest that nokia immediately annouce an update and fix the problem of video viewing, Youtube, Flv files & HD video playing. Nokia must update Flash Player.

Dr. ZAP
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

[ Edited ]

@drzap00

Hi,

This is taken directly from the Nokia Belle FAQ:

After the update to Nokia Belle I can't play some .flv flash files or .mkv video files anymore. What should I do?

We are currently investigating the issue and will share a solution as soon as possible.

Nokia's Technical department are aware of this issue and as stated above will share a solution as soon as possible.

If there are any other issues you maybe experiencing I would recommend looking at the Nokia Belle FAQ page which you can find on the link below:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-belle-update/nokia-belle-update-faq

The FAQ is updated on a regular basis.

Regards

Raoul_Duke

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
linram

About Belle:
I have always loved NOKIA, I've tried two other phone brands (before I-phones and BB's) and immediately regretted it.
But my N8 died out on me I spent more than 36hrs with out a phone on two occassions and I only loaded Belle +/- 6 days ago, this not counting how many times it hangs and I become unavailable on my network with all my calls being automatically diverted to voicemail.
My chat chat app (Whatsapp) is "uncompatible"
Please use plain text.
Contributor
shuhaibm

Iam also a victim of upgrading from Anna to Belly. Actually i came to this discusin while searching 'how to downgrade' from belly. Anna interface was very good with my C6-01, which outweighs otherr benefits of belly.

Is there any way to downgrade the C6-01 firmware from my PC?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Advisor
drzap00

Raoul_Duke

Thanks Dude, I am really worried about it.

Dr. ZAP
Please use plain text.
shudus

you are crying about things that are not neccesary important, maybe the Headset issue is serious bt the rest are preference...
Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

shudus wrote:
you are crying about things that are not neccesary important, maybe the Headset issue is serious bt the rest are preference...

Firstly, your "neccesary important" may differ wildly from others.

And seventeenthly, updates are meant to be progress, things that are meant to, on balance, result in a comprehensively better experience - not have so many people annoyed in so many different ways, that their phone is now worse off than when it was on the previous release.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
coolani

I think I can suggest an improvement for the conversations view for messaging. I know many people  don't like it. Even I didn't initially, but now I'm getting used to it.

The only problem I'm having is if I want to delet,e say 10 messages (including sent and received) in a conversation for total 20 messages and keep rest of the conversation, I have to open each message from the conversation and delete it. Or go to folders -> inbox/sent -> mark multiple items -> select the messaged -> delete. So many steps.

I think it would be better to have a small close button/icon on the right hand top of each message in the conversation itself so I can just click it and it will be deleted. Close button similar to what we have in open applications view in task manager.

It will eliminate the need to got to folders just to delete messages. I think I can manage with conversations better then.

What do u all think?

Please use plain text.