Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Disappointed with Symbian Belle! Pros vs Cons

manojsulu

Re: Disappointed with Symbian Belle! Pros vs Cons

Symbian Belle is a bad software although i have by mistake upgaraded it.

It makes the devise preety slow, and the feature of the Belle is rather very bad it is not user friendly.

Symbian Anna was pretty close to other version of Nokia handsets.

I would be happy if i can degrade it to Symbian Anna if someone can tell me how to do it.

I think Nokia should have option to degrade once after upgrading the software so that customer could be ablt to choose which software to use as per his requirement.

Regards,

Manoj Singh

www.humaanresource.com
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
idrees81

what is it with the flv videos? An flv file of 240p works fine but not 360p?
Please use plain text.
Sage
SR_N8

read somewhere that Nokia is working on FLV problem. Hope will get fixed sooner than later :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Sage
SR_N8

Hallo Manoj, I had similar problem! I wiped data and reset to factory settings. Then I formatted mass memory. And reinstalled belle. Since 2 weeks I have no problems and phine works just fine. To save battery use Dual Mode instead of 3G, The email, messenger etc set to manual update instead of auto or increase the period of update. Change all home screens to black background, avoid using widgets requiring constant usage of GPS. In general my impression is that Belle is better than Androids that my colleagues have. It is more reliable, predictable, fast! All needed is there! I'll stay with Belle till end of this year and then start looking for something new.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Jerre123

I agree with SN-N8, belle is a better os than android, at least seems more polished than android (and I'm writing this from my android tab). Some things I don't like about Belle (less efficient with the space: I have the E6 with smaller screen) but in general I'm getting used to it and start to see the advantages of upgrading. I think it is all about getting familiar with the new software.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Jerre123

Just to be complete and not mislead other potential upgraders, I forgot to mention that I also don't like the Belle battery indicator. It is really not clear what is left of the battery. And since I resarted the my reply, it would also be great to modify the size of the widget 'mail' and 'calendar' and have an option to choose between large or small icons. With that I would be the happiest Belle user in the world

Jerre
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lamotti

I updated my N8 to Nokia Belle yesterday after it finally being available for my product code, and my thoughts are that it is a major improvement. Hardcore Symbian fans probably won't like it as it has changed quit a bit, even though I no longer use my N8 since I got an iPhone, I kept it and I have to say anyone that has used other Smartphones OS like iOS and Android will realise how much modern Belle is compared to the previous Symbian. Everything is much easier to access, far less clunky, for example before when you had to delete an app, you had to go so setting etc...etc, very tedious, now all you do is hold down what you want to delete, delete app and done, simple as that. Adding shortcuts to the home screen as very easy as well, everything is made much simple now compared to Anna and ^3, there maybe a few bugs, but they will probably be fixed, so I don’t know why everyone is complaining.

Also I haven’t come across any problems since I updated it, maybe because I completely wiped my phone clean to factory reset and then installed Belle, using it from scratch, and it works really well. I've used to really heavily since installed and battery life it still over 90%. Maybe people having problems with battery life should try that. I might just start using the N8 a bit more after the update.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
STEPHEN97

the headphones do work you just need to setup for initial use and if you checked the settings then half your ramblings would be solved, but the clock can be changed here: http://waptoday.info/2012/02/toggle-widget-skin-digital-analog-clock-skin-setupdated-04-02-4-new-col... and that leaves the folders 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
matonking

[ Edited ]

I've had it for a day now.

Pros:

1. - Noticeably faster UI
  2. -Noticeably faster browser
  3. -great phone searcher. Used it loads already to find music.
  4. -Drop down notifications is fantastic
  5. -Love the new photobrowser.. I like how you can finally zoom in further on photos
  6. -Music player "JAZZ" equaliser settings makes the music sound fantastic
  7. -Email client is MUCH faster at loading emails
  8. -Map client is much smoother when zooming and scrolling around
  9. -I like the new load out with just one menu system that you scroll down
  10. -The Fsecure for free? fantastic! worked great and doesn't slow the phone down at all

Cons:

1. -I know i don't have mobile data 'on' so stop giving me warning messeges!
  2. -Music player doesn't show the track number. I have podcasts with 100-200 songs and with belle I have to go into "song details" everytime I want to check the track number which is a pain
  3. -Music player doesn't automatically go to "now playing" when you click on the music widget. It takes you straight to the album flow list, so if I want to re-listen to a part of a song I have to "click widget>click menu>click now playing".. just 2 extra clicks than there should be
  4. -Some widgets are too big yes. I don't need half of the screen taken up by the album cover for instance. The email widget is huge but only shows 3 emails at a time, I mean if you are going to make it huge at least show MORE.
  5. -Map widget still doesn't support rotation with fingers :smileysad:
  6. -Phone doesn't show wither headphones are connected. (even though they are and work)Small greif but it is nice to know before you start blasting your tunes in the middle of a lecture.

Summary

As you can see, more pros than cons. Great update and deffinately worth it. The issue of battery hasn't affected me, neither has the flv files not working.. all my videos still work. Got another year left with my N8 and i'm looking forward to it now. I was dreading it with anna.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pgoel

Me too dont like symbian belle at all. Personalization is worst than Anna. It will be really nice if NOKIA could do anything to downgrade Belle to Anna as i started hating my phone since i upgraded it. Nokia people must have to provide a solution to downgrade it to Anna or i'll be forced to sell my N8.
Please use plain text.
Jinesh6

i had the same opinion 4 one week after installation of belle, but now im :smileysad:  .it is makes trouble to some of the software. EG. Nimbuzz.) now fon getting hang frequently, anna was reliable, belle made my fon more attractive but now i really want to replace the soft ware with old one,  if not possible need to adjust with belle!!!!

zaus wrote:
Well Said bumblebirra..!!!
But people always complain and complain no matter what...!!!
They just never get satisfied..!!!
I simply love Nokia Belle..!!!

zaus wrote:

zaus wrote:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vjnaik59

Wonderin whether Nokia feature pack 1 is going to arrive for c6-01. The software seems to have refined the widgets and ui to certain extent as on the demo video of Nokia 808.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I tried to add all the above to this list:

/t5/Software-Updates/List-of-Belle-additions-corrections-needed/m-p/1332177/highlight/false#M114391

Feel free to edit that list, and put in priorities for how important things are, and which things need to be corrected first.
Please use plain text.
hynner77

I am seriously disappointed about belle.

Like its written by others here,it take a lot of options away from you..and much is hidden.

And to make it worse , i understand its not easy to go back to the previous software

Its like being treated like a little child.

I have owned 8 or more nokias in the last 12 years,and very odd my parents also have nokias,and right now i just have a disappointed feeling looking at my C7.

My choice as customer is to tell that i find it **bleep**,and if Nokia do not want to listen then i will go for an android model

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mstandl

Overall I'm pretty happy with Belle. But after a few weeks of use the first problems appear:
-first and to me the most important thing is that the phone has significant lags and additionally always then when you NEED the phone (e.g. need to call some1 quick and exactly in that moment its lagging like hell). This wasn't a problem at all with Anna.
-second problem are the lags when you want to edit a contact. it just doesn't work at the moment on my device. just lagging when i enter contacts. everything else is just fine...strange.
-music player as some1 mentioned is really annoying when you have to click 3 times or so just to get from the homescreen to the song which is played atm... i mean everything in the system is pretty much easier to reach or to adjust. why did the devs stop thinking here?! just put some sort of settings in the music player where the user can chose what he/she wants to see when tapping on the music player widget...
-did i mention the laqs :smileywink:?
-widget size also already mentioned...
-headphone problem i didn't encounter, btw there appears a symbol in the top bar when you plug in your headphones...so to me it is pretty clear that my headphones are plugged in :smileywink:
-marking contacts/files/fotos in a list throughout the whole system: why do i have to click 2 or 3 times to mark an item? why not making it simple like they do in the x-plore file explorer or profimail where you just tap on the outer right side of the file you want to mark and then it's marked. simple as that...
-as they advertised that there will be more free screen real estate i can not confirm. whether the implemented email system nor the widgets are making real use of the available space. email widget: great when you have a slimmer top bar but why is the bottom navigation and update bar so damn fat?! or when you place the digital clock, calendar widget and 3 rows of apps/contacts on one homescreen there's almost 1cm of space which can't be used even for small widgets like say the profile widget...
-still not possible to set another browser as standard browser (maybe possible with the normal opera but the opera mini isn't recognized as such)
as a matter of fact its pretty useless to put any other programm as standard because it won't be recognized throughout the whole system. so it will work with some apps whereas it won't with the rest...
-lagging yeah right...

and btw i did a decent hard reset and format of my sd card and mass memory before installing belle so this shouldn't be the problem.

and btw why do i have to go all the way through the forum again when i log in?!

Greetings

Please use plain text.
Advisor
kmawds

[ Edited ]

Installed Belle last night and so far so good.

Organised all my frequently used bits in portrait mode then organised them in landscape mode (don't know if you could do this in anna, I never tried)

Yes the music app is still **bleep**, I have filed a ticket with tunewiki as it doesn't support Belle yet.

I would say it's slightly quicker but not a huge improvement. More of a Anna V3. There may be more 'behind the scenes' stuff thats been done that we can't see to warrant a major change (anna-belle)

List of programs does not scroll smoothly it stops and jerks about. Had to get a picture off my wifes HTC desire and that is sooooo much slicker and smooth. I think the N8 has had it's day, the processor is too slow.

Allow at least 2 hrs to update and get your phone to somewhere near where it was before, updating widgets, connection settings, wireless keys, organising and finding stuff.

But hey were here now and I'm not going back to Anna, that is just software that shouldn't have happened. I'll try it over the next month and if I'm not happy I'll get it flashed back to Symbian^3 (prior to Anna).

Oh, I like scrolling the mail apps without having to go into them, but they are HUGE. Glad I only check 2 accounts on my phone.

And people, stop winging about the clock, the time is in the top right, if you cant see it, go and get your eyes checked.

oh and only 80mb left on C: :smileysad:

edit. one niggle still there is the amount of time it takes to display an image in full quality when you are showing someone. I guess it may be a 12mp 600mhz processor -Vs- 5mp 1Ghz processor thing in other phones? I dont remember it being that slow in the original symbian^3.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
kmawds

oh and the bar at the bottom of the camera screen is good, I can switch to macro and between flash modes easy now.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jn_bhavani

HI I am nokia fan since 2002, currently i am using Nokia C7.

I got stucked after updating to belle from anna.

I know there are good pro's also of belle but following are cons.

1. My calendar stopped working after updataion. I am unable to open calender. It shows one notification in dropdown bar, when i click on it nothing happens. even unable to open from application. Can anyone help me????

2. U cant do anything, if there is installation is going on. Why cant i install application in background??

3. Google maps not working in belle. Grrr....

4. After updation i configured facebook on social, but within 2 days it got stopped. Now its not opening, showing error "unable to open".....grrrr............

I hope bugs will be resolved by nokia and new patch will come soon.........

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jn_bhavani

One thing i forgot to mention that after switch on the phoen, lot of applications are running in the background and using phone memory and draining phone battery.

This i came to know after installation of netqin mobile security which has shown the running application.(These applications will not be shown if you press menu key for taskmanager).

Please use plain text.
Omar_Elimar

i agree with you , the camera become very bad , i buy n8 for it's camera, now i am thinking of buy it .
Please use plain text.