Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Does UK version of N97 support iplayer?

Counsellor

Does UK version of N97 support iplayer?

I am hoping to get an N97 very shortly. Can anyone say definitively if the  BBC iplayer is preinstalled, or at least if it is supported, on the N97 as it was on the N96?

I have asked Nokia Support but they said it was 'for the BBC to decide - ask them'. I can't see how the BBC could decide to preinstall software on Nokia phones though? I have seen some early reviews by third party magazines which indicated that the iplayer was, in fact, on the phone, but now it is shipping in the UK can anyone confirm this?

Many thanks!

Al

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

It certainly is available for the UK N97 as a download.  I do not know if it is pre-installed.

See this article for confirmation:

www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/9901_BBC_iPlayer_available_for_the_.php

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for the reply - the link you gave does seem to show it running on the N97 OK! The BBC site, on its 'Can I access BBC iPlayer on my mobile phone?' does NOT list the N97 as being a supported phone (perhaps its too new, and not yet on general sale in the UK, although it does list the iphone, and has for some time). Since the Nokia 5800 is also listed I assume that is the same version as the N97!?

aledj

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

I'm sure the BBC will officially add it once it is released in the UK (19th in London & Online, 26th elsewhere and selected networks).

It does use the same version as the 5800xm and has the same features. As with all other versions it is limited to to wi-fi only unless you are on the 3 network which also allows streaming over 3G, this is at the request of the networks. Vodafone may also allow it but I am not sure.

You can trust all about symbians word on this, they are one of the more professional phone sites out there.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for the confirmation. Re. streaming, I currently have the N96 with a Vodafone SIM and can confirm that they do allow streaming over 3G and it works fine.

Thanks again - topic now seems to be resolved. :smileyhappy:

aledj

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Cheers for the confirmation about voda, I wasn't sure.

Hope you enjoy the N97 when you get it! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have a Vodafone SIM with an unbranded unlocked N96 and it is unable to access iPlayer streams over 3G. The iPlayer app displays a message about having to connect to WiFi to view or download programmes.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

Most UK networks block the iplayer from working over there internet due to bandwidth restictions

To streem or download programmes you need to connect via a wireless network

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
grimreaper

The answer to the original question is yes, The UK version of the n97 does come with BBC iPlayer pre-installed.

I got mine on pre-order on the 19th & it's definately on there. It's also supported in the home screen widgets.

I'm assuming this will be the case for all generic versions of the handset but i can't say what the story is with the branded one's

I'd rather die on my feet, Than keep living on my knee's!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I got my N97 on the 27th June and I've had trouble with the BBC iPlayer too.

To answer your first question - if you're with vodaphone, it does come with the iplayer pre-loaded straight out of the box. (You have to bear in mind that different networks pre-load different software - i.e. 3 is the only network to allow, and subsequently pre-load, skype).

As for the iPlayer - it does NOT work through 3G, with vodaphone, all of the time.

You can connect through WiFi fine, I'm using it to watch Top Gear right now; although that's not really the point...you want to use it on the move, right?

Vodaphone are having trouble rolling it out across with 3G. I know this because I went into the shop and asked the guy behind the counter. He said it could take anything up to 6 MONTHS :smileysad:but it will eventually get sorted.

He said that I won't need to download any upgrades to the iPlayer software, it's just a problem with the phone masts (presumably in coping with the bandwidth involved).

I guess it's not the end of the world, you have to expect teething problems with a brand new phone, but hopefully this'll fix itself once Vodaphone get on top of things.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have a unbranded N97 direct from Nokia and it came with Iplayer installed and I am currently watching a program on a Vodafone GPRS connection so it does work.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

well i am on the 3 network and the n97 version wont stream over 3g, my old n95 did fine and live tv too....its a branded 3 so surely if 3 allow it my version should work?
Please use plain text.