Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E6-00 (0588692) New Device Software

Advisor
bullocha

E6-00 (0588692) New Device Software

Good afternoon all,

I just noticed this afternoon that SW-Update has advised there is a new device software from E6-00.  Information that SW-Update provides states it is ver 025.007

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

Not sure if I want to take the plunge and upgrade until I find out a bit more info.

Thanks

A..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
danko_r

Hello,

I have installed the update yesterday and my phone did not blew up, so no worries there. The only difference I managed to encounter is the better nokia browser and especialy the switching between tabs has been made smoother. Nothing else for now. It will be good if others share things they discovered as well. I wonder if the update will affect the battery life...

Please use plain text.
Pasecznik

[ Edited ]

One thing that I've noticed - when I decrease the brightness of the screen the keypad light doesn't disappear any more. That's good.

Please use plain text.
ghc0000

[ Edited ]

I also upgraded my E6. Somewhy the first USB port I tried to use for upgrade always disconnected immediately after clicking 'start upgrade' (backup, syncinc etc worked fine through that same port). Luckily the upgrade process did not actually start and after I changed the USB port upgrade and restoring worked fine.

But about the changes. Browser did change a little bit, but I'm not using it that much so I don't really know all the details about browser update.

Really good improvement is the keypad backlight fix. There was this problem that when screen brightness was set to minimum (or one step upwards from minimum) the keyboard backlight was turned off. Now this has been fixed: the backlight does not turn off anymore. Not only that, the backlight brightness is changed too when screen brightness is changed. So when screen is set to minimum brightness the keypad does not glow like some torch. Instead keypad too is set to very dim but that is still enough for dark conditions. [Edit: Pasecznik was some minutes faster =) ]

Otherwise, I was not able to detect any real differences. Calendar (and also a bit clumsy calendar entry editing), contacts, e-mail, connection handling.. all seem to be just as before.

[Edit2: Was there this kind of automatical contact search from main screen before? I mean, when you start to input phone number from Home screen?]

Please use plain text.
Advisor
danko_r

I think it is farely normal that the usb disconnects,  it says on nokia suite that you should ignore that. About the changes, it was an 170MB update, so it should be more than we have noticed so far. I realy hope they did something about the battery. Any hints from nokia maybe :smileyhappy:?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
raphaaa

After the update... the phone seems a bit snappier and the free RAM upon boot is around 129mb. Not bad but I have yet to notice if there are changes with the built-in applications. We need a more detailed change-log...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Jerre123

Yes Nokia, please give us a detailed change-log. It's quite normal that with a software update a change-log is given.

BTW I've got 2 E6 (one is of my wife) and I compared both devices, one with the update and one without: but I didn't found any differences. The new firmware feels snappier but in a one by one comparison I can't see the difference.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

Seems that beattery endurance is takn a step in the right direction. Indded the phone is now snapier and I also think that the wait for Bele will make this phone great.
i am now very pleased with E6. the backlight problem is solved what I can see...to early maybe to tell...I am quiet satisfied so far...
Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Jerre123

[ Edited ]

Perhaps more good news, I've put the new firmware version 25.7 on my phone and I pretty sure that WIFI is now much better managed. When going in standby I see that power consumption with WIFI on is reduced drastically (only 0,06W with Skype on to be sure that WIFI stays on). If I remember well it was previously somewhat like 0,4W: that's more than 5 times less. If you keep WIFI on now battery should last longer.

I will do the test on an other E6 with older firmware to confirm this.

Please use plain text.
orbistat

Updated to FW 025.007 yesterday and it's noticably faster especially when switching between home screens. I was looking for other differences but can't detect anything obvious.

I used the phone quite a bit to test it and it would normally be down at least 1 battery bar after that but it's still on full bars. That would suggest that battery performance has improved.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Andrei1987

Hello

Is the week - vibration issue fixed?

Thx

Please use plain text.
Advisor
danko_r

Hello,
as far as I can tell, nothing has been made about the vibration problem. i keep my phone in a leather etui and i can't feel anything and hear anything, because of the leather pressing against the speeker. So nokia can still upgrade in that direction.

I still wish myself a better youtube app. Just a link to the website is, I think a bit....lazy. Just give us a nice app like all the droids and iphones have, please!

About the battery life, it seems a bit longer but its too early to say. I hope it' really improved
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gabriele339

@danko_r There is the official YouTube app in the Store.

I don't use it, though, so I cannot tell you if it's good or not.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
danko_r

Yes I'm sorry, as soon as I posted my last post I checked in to ovi store and downloaded the new app. It's just what I was talking about, so thanks nokia! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
morris55

i connected my phone to Pc to update via suite and it says "no new update".i tried with sw updater in the phone and it says all apps up to date!?!?and i never updated my phone before...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
danko_r

Which country do you come from? maybe the update is not yet available there. It depends always on the network provider and other stuff. The updates come to different countries at different times.

Please use plain text.
morris55

[ Edited ]

bosnia...maybe we are the last country to get Nokia update...

Please use plain text.
Sage
WhiteVanMan

Well, I guess this will be another update most people will not be seeing.

• Improved wifi power management,
  • Possibly better battery life,
  • More responsive user interface,

Plus other updates have mentioned the correction of the screen and keyboard backlight problem, When it is set below halfway to save power.

Oh well, We can dream i suppose, I guess support is an optional extra, Not a standard ?. 

Nokia E6 (FW:021.014), Unbranded, Sim-Free, Unlocked.
Please use plain text.
Sage

My E6 is still on v21 firmware.

v22 still hasn't been released for it and some are already now on v25.

There is probably (I hope) a reasonable explanation behind that but in the absence of one it just creates the impression of inconsistent product support from one region to another.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HristoGeorgiev

In Bulgaria is the same, the .v25 is not available, hopefully as soon as possible!

Please use plain text.