Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

E71 Backup/Restore problem after firmware update

Contributor
abdoush

E71 Backup/Restore problem after firmware update

after i restore the data using the PC suite, I'm facing a connectivity problem, No MMS and web browsing are working, even after i re-install the settings from the provider and setup wizard, same thing, even the wireless connectivity is not working.
note that they are working be4 i do the restore (plain phone).

any recommendation.
It's never too late to learn ....
Sage

Re: E71 Backup/Restore problem after firmware update

format ur E71 & reinstall the latest nokia pc suite. then retry, it should be ok by then...
Contributor
abdoush

i already have the latest version of the PC Suite, i even try to do the same thing from a referent Laptop and got the same results
Contributor

Re-install firmware upgrade. Do not use restore from backup. I think the phone settings from the previous version is not compatible with the new firmware version. You will lose web browsing and wireless connectivity.

Re-install your applications and manually setup your phone and preferences like it used to be.
Contributor
abdoush

thanks, it worked fine now.
i did as u said, i used the sync.

i'm not sure about everyone else but i been struggling with this problem myself but i think i might have found a solution, at least for myself i have.  What i think was the problem was that when you backup your setting it also saves that you are connected at that time as well so in the memory when you restore it, it is recalling that connectivity setting, well for me it is saying that i'm already connected, so i kept fiddling around trying to bypass this problem, and I remembered also using a program called Smart Connect Birdstep as well, i'm not to sure if it was becasue i had this program before and all this occured becasue i had that program or not, but when you restore you notice that most of your applications don't show up again, so i reinstalled it by downloading it from the website and using PC suite to install the program because i could not connect the device through the phone and do it WLAN.  And once installed it asked if i wanted to replace, and so i did even though it was in my installation folder, then prompted me to restart.  After the restart i went to run the program installations>SC> setup new group>>named it "wifi" as it was before the upgrade, add my local WLAN and whatever data connections need be into that group >>Done >>Exit .......and everything worked fine webpages open up fine and i'm now so relieved.  So i Hope this helps whoever else went through this upgrade mayhem.  Good Luck!

I had the same problem, I had been using smartconnect.  After the firmware upgrade, smartconnect disappeared.  I was left with no web access.  Following your suggestion, I re-installed smartconnect.

Everything works fine.  Thaks guys

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I upgraded my firmware (why do nokia call it 'software'?), which i kind of regret now. I don't see any difference to my phone, plus i hit a major problem.

Before upgrading i backed-up my phone.

After upgrading firmware i tried to restore the backup to my phone - wouldn't work!?!?!?!?! - plus the phone said that i had a massive error and had to take my phone back to retailer. it would not restart.

Seriously crazy

FIX:

1. 'Hard-reset' the phone (erases memory and takes you back to basic nokia phone software) -  While turning the phone on you hold down 3 buttons: " green-phone & 3 & * ". Hold down for about 10 sec's. The phone should start working again with the new firmware - albeit with only basic settings.
  2. Go to the backup-restore, and restore from your last backup.
         HOWEVER, UNTICK 'phone settings'.

This should get almost everything back for you (calendar,contacts,etc), except for any software that you had previously downloaded and installed on your phone (e.g. google maps, fring, skype, youtube, etc). Easy enough to download & install again. Also, you might want to ring your phone company and get them to mms you the configuration settings for internet and mms again.

WHY WAS THERE A PROBLEM? I believe that the old settings of the previous firmware are NOT compatible with the new firmware. This makes the phone effectively stop working when you restore the backup.

Sage
OzRob

In general you should never restore your phone settings after a firmware upgrade. Only restore you user data, such as contacts, calendar entries, etc. The reason is that often new firmware contains updated, modified and new features that may have different setup requirements to the old firmware. Trying to restore settings from old firmware to new firmware can have unforeseen consequences. After a firmware upgrade you should always re-enter your phone settings manually. It's a PITA, but it's necessary. 

If I've helped you, you can thank me by clicking the green 'kudos' star on my post. Cheers.
erodriguez

Re-Install Software update, then restore everything except the settings. Problem Solved. There is no need to do a Hard Reset.

Advisor
davidmatthewson

I agree - total PITA - why can't Nokia warn us about this sort of nightmare? (I know, because once they have our money they just don't care.. sigh.)

About 8 weeks ago I too u/gd to 4.x from 3.x and hit this 'bricked phone' issue - and thanks to Google found the 3 fingered restart and that fixed it.

But I must say I'm not impressed at all with 4.x. Bad email, bad Bluetooth, bad menu displays..

I gather I can't revert to 3.x and can't see how to reinstall 4.x. Is either of these possible?

I also see 5.x is now out but the Nokia site says my (UK Vodafone) E71 has the latest firmware.

Maybe my next cell will be an I-Phone.....

Any thoughts pls?

TiA

David

Registered Member
princessbeany

having recently carried out a software update on my phone, having done the back up and the instillation the connection timed out before restoring all of my files!! how do i manually restore my files back to my phone????