Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

E71 Firmware Update Fixes

Counsellor

E71 Firmware Update Fixes

Just wanted some input in regards to what issues need to be resolved within the first update, excluding the RF reception, I think we all want that fixed ASAP...

I have never heard of reception issues being fixed from a firmware issue, but maybe they could do something within the OS that would hold the dual mode signal better.

Any ideas or thoughts on what the E71 needs to make it almost perfect?
Counsellor

Re: E71 Firmware Update Fixes

Yes, add a sane imap-client.. it can't be that hard.
Counsellor

wifi that doesn't crash with wep2, and also fix the crashes in the contact app.

a better camera too.
Registered Member

1) the sender names of sms messages are displayed Last Name First Name even though it is not that way in the contacts. So far i have not found a way to change this.

2) the phone doesnt recognize the difference between two identical phone numbers with different area codes. ie 212-123-4567 and 213-123-4567. If you have two contacts with those phone numbers, the phone wont display the contact who is calling, and instead just show the number.

Thanks so much.
Counsellor
chekkie

[ Edited ]
Why can't even all contacts matching a number be shown for an incoming call? At least as long as there is still room?

I mean, how hard can it be? :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by chekkie on 06-Aug-2008 12:35 PM
6310 for 6 years - E71 since July 2008
Counsellor

I have also experienced the "last name first name" when receiving sms.

Another one: if i get a sms from an unknown number, if i open it and save the number to a new contact, it still shows me the number instead of the name.
Counsellor

I would like the opportunity to change the volume level for separate alerts, ex; email alert, ringtone alert and sms alert have a separate volume setting.

I have found no setting to change the last name, first name sms issue. I have also found that if you change the setting in contacts, this makes no difference in how the sms name is shown.

My connection with Wifi (I have never dropped a connection in WIFI mode @home) is a lot slower and I have found myself using the 3g networks instead.

Has anyone found that the first bar in the battery life seems to drop rather quickly, almost as if it is insignificant?
Advisor

I have possible bug with email notifications/auto-retrieval on E71. Details:
/discussions/board/message?board.id=communicators&thread.id=23621
Contributor

Nice Change for Upcoming Firmware Updates:
Call Protocol: Display the real icons of people who called you (not just a generic phone icon) display the icon for business phone if the contact called from his business phone, mobile when he called from mobile etc.
Sage

What i would like to see :

A reconfiguration of the camera's colorsettings.
Purple is way too much present in pictures.
Advisor

I would like very much to see Nokia E71 icons just as they are in previous models. The current icons are flat, boring, most of them are gray. Worst of all, they easily blend into the themes colors and you can hardly distinguish the highlighted one when using the phone in the sunlight. I guess the Fins do not care about this since they have a little sun shine up there.

Is it really too much from Nokia to include all the same features in all E71-s. The fact that, in some markets such as some Asian markets, direct contact search is not available, and in other markets it is, is quite offensive toward their loyal customers. That might have to do something with Asian alphabets, but why not include this feature in English language which is also available anyways along with Asian languages.

Other than that, the phone is superb as far as I can say and I would recommend it to everyone regardless some flaws.
Counsellor

Homestah,

The reason why the phone sees 212-123-4567 and 213-123-4567 is because of international dialing codes.

Eg. Here in UK, inside the country we would all use 0123 456 7890, however when we are abroad and dial home we have to use +44 123 456 7890. Conversely when we receive calls it could come through as either format, hence the phone only matches the last 7 digits.

You have to be very lucky to hit this issue.

K.
Advisor

in the contact list - would be nice to have a "Name and Number" view option.
Registered Member

Some bugs i have cought so far:
- when you assign both fixed and mobile phone number to the single contact, whichever number you choose - in the last dialled numer there is always an icon of mobile number.

- when you want to save the phone number directly from the idle screen, typing the details of contact right in the phonebook (e.g. name), you have to change keybord's layout from _numbers_ to the letters.

- viewing the pictures in gallery there's no shortcuts to manipulate them directly by pressing a button with number - first you have to change layout by pressing Fn key

- In calendar, no matter on what time i type in to-do notes, it always shown in there before 0800

And some other features i would like you to change. ;-)
- in the phonebook there is _always_ a white background - with the dark theme it doesn't look good :-/
- icons in menu - so grey, so sad, so insipid

And please, do something with the speaker - in the silent place (e.g. evening/night) it is too loud, even if it is turned down to the minimum. It is really annoying because it is impossible to listen to anything on the speaker in such conditions. :-/

I, too, would like to see improved IMAP support. At least let me move emails from one folder to another on the server.

I'd like to see the image quality of the camera significantly improved.

Same here. Camera and tv-out feature

I need a way to organize photos in the Gallery. The ability to create albums/folders would be a great improvement over one big 'puke' of images.
Advisor

Yeah, right. Camera, tv-out, gallery... maybe Blu-ray player with 6.2 surround system as well???

Guys, how about consider dropping your E71s to the trashbin, and switch to devices like N95, N82 etc.? E71 was NEVER designed to be a multimedia-monster, hence it would NEVER make you happy in that area. Take it or leave it, that's life. And please stop putting here all those silly requests, as I believe this thread is about firmware *bugfixes*, not a feature wishlist (which would never be implemented anyway). I'm way more concerned about correct IMAP support (one of the core features of E71, btw), than camera quality which I'm never bothered about anyway. If I was bothered about camera quality, I'd get myself N95 or SE K850i, or anything like this. I advise you guys the same.
Sage

11-Aug-2008 11:19 PM
adlorenz wrote:
Yeah, right. Camera, tv-out, gallery... maybe Blu-ray player with 6.2 surround system as well???

Guys, how about consider dropping your E71s to the trashbin, and switch to devices like N95, N82 etc.? E71 was NEVER designed to be a multimedia-monster, hence it would NEVER make you happy in that area. Take it or leave it, that's life. And please stop putting here all those silly requests, as I believe this thread is about firmware *bugfixes*, not a feature wishlist (which would never be implemented anyway). I'm way more concerned about correct IMAP support (one of the core features of E71, btw), than camera quality which I'm never bothered about anyway. If I was bothered about camera quality, I'd get myself N95 or SE K850i, or anything like this. I advise you guys the same.

isnt improper color rendering is a bug that needs to get fixed? i think that even a email/business phone should try to capture the images it takes with some semblance of accuracy. a TV out is usefull for presentations too.
9110,9210,i,9500,9300,i,E90 I still miss my 9300i , E71, E72 But......