Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E71: what DOESN'T work after FW 200.21.118

Sage

E71: what DOESN'T work after FW 200.21.118

I wonder if I could get some input regarding the problems (and only those this time please) that occurred after updating to the new firmware. For now I've noticed the following:

- PC suite didn't restore any information from the backup even if it did claim the restoring was 100% successful.
- Mobile Dictionary: after installing an additional language, the program refuses to start before you remove the additional language. You get prompted to remove it or exit the application.
- random lockups and crashes that restart the phone. I dialed a number and tried saving it as a new contact. After 10 seconds the phone reboots.
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]
- trying to remove additional languages through the menus in the dictionary crashes the program. Choosing Remove Language makes the program exit. - Gallery: image rotation doesn't work. The image reverts to the original orientation whatever you might try to do about it
Message Edited by kvirtanen on 21-Jan-2009 10:05 AM
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]
Just adding more entries as I notice problems...

- Bluetooth: phone doesn't recognize my Motorola HT-820 stereo A2DP headset anymore. Worked in FW 100.

Personal note: Damnit. The headset cost me 100 Euros. What I'm I supposed to do now?

- PC mass memory mode: after choosing "remove safely" in Windows Vista and XP the phone's memorycard remains inaccessible. Choosing "remove memory card" from the phone's shutdown menu and reinserting the card doesn't work. Not even after multiple attempts. Rebooting the phone after nearly every USB connection is required to resume using the memory card.

Personal note: has this bug remained from the E61i??
Message Edited by kvirtanen on 21-Jan-2009 01:20 PM
Please use plain text.

I have had three freezes with this new upgrade. Initially I thought it was related to having a program open on the screen as it happened first time with calculator left open and the second time with Calendar left open.

But today, my phone was in the locked state. As I got into the car I plugged in the car charger, andwhen I tried to unlock the phone, it would not react at all. On/Off button was dead as well. I had to remove the battery to reset the phone.

Personally I think this is all linked to the changes that was made on the login module, which is **bleep** anyway - Why would you have to press "Unlock" followed by "Function" key followed by the unlock code???? The previous implementation was much better, more intuitive and definitely more stable!!!

Please use plain text.
Sage

- Screen backlight: on my phone it doesn't fade out nicely as it did before the update. Now it just goes off after a while. Before it does that it seems as if it flashes white for a brief moment. I tried changing the backlight duration and screensaver types, no change. A few times it made me think the phone crashed (because when the phone does crash, the backlight goes instantly out and the screen goes white).

Has anybody else experienced this behavior?
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]
- Correction to the Mobile Dictionary issue: the problems above occur when I install the Japanese language pack ( or more precisely, a language that should require character support from Nokias behalf, perhaps? When the program worked "normally" the characters used to display as boxes)
Message Edited by kvirtanen on 22-Jan-2009 12:31 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I've noticed sometimes that answering an incoming call is making thhe phone hang. The battery needs to be removed to make switch off. This did not happen before the update.

Please use plain text.

I can confirm worsened Bluetooth performance.

Connection with Volvo bluetooth carkit (fw 05_05_R) wasn't great before in terms of functionality (phonebook) but now it is also very unstabl. Phone and car lose connection suddenly, phone thinks still connected, car cannot reconnect.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

I've noticed...

1) More frequent crashes/ reboots

2) GPS declares "(no satellite data available)" after some time searching for satellites; the bars never turn fully black.

3) Like somebody mentioned above, the backup-and-restore did not restore everything, left some applications invisible etc. 

- mvk 

Message Edited by greenhex on 22-Jan-2009 05:39 PM
Please use plain text.

After updating, When I click the installation folder, It doesnt open the folder but directly open the GPS application. I dont have any way now to open any of my instllations....! Please suggest atleast some workaround for me to open my installations..!

Please use plain text.

Hey greenhex --> I have the same problem. GPS has bars but never locks! OMG this is terrible!

does anyone have idea how to fall back to the previous SW release, please mail to jacc121@yahoo.com! PLEASE!!!! I cant live wihtout my GPS.

Thanks in advance.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Well, the only problem I have hit after updating to 200.x is a pretty blatant one -- if you go to the Web Browser's Settings for AP seleciton and you select Always Ask you get the list of AP to select from. User Defined actually sets the AP to 'Always Ask' -- the options are simply... swapped...

P.S.

That's one of these low severity, high customer impact issues... How did this ever get past QA? Back when I was a QA Lead people used to get fired for stuff like this ;-]

P.P.S.

How does one 'officially' report bugs to Nokia at all?

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

cjacc121:

Change the positioning server to <supl.nokia.com> (without the < and >) instead of the junk put in after the firmware upgrade. THAT should fix the problem you are facing.

No need to "downgrade."

Hope this helps. It worked for me.

- mvk

Message Edited by greenhex on 25-Jan-2009 05:22 PM
Message Edited by greenhex on 25-Jan-2009 05:22 PM
Please use plain text.

Hi. After updating firmware of E71, the keyboard layout has changed. Several charecters do not printed when relevant keys are pressed, e.g. instead of full-stop, question mark appears. I have tried several attempts deleting older versions, both in London and Middle East. Need your help to resolve this issue. Regards.

Imtiaz
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rkhigham

I'd appreciate your advice: would I be better off not updating my firmware (from 100') to this new 200' version?

I'm pretty happy with my E71 the way it is & I have a load of app's which I really wouldn't want to go through the bother of re-installing and tuning. The only benefit, as far as I can see, is better camera performance (how much better is it, really, in % terms?) and getting the new black & red themes.

Please let me know your opinions, thanks...

Please use plain text.

Hi GreenHex,

Thanks for the reply. The server was defined properly. Somehow i feel that the GPS performance was not as good as before? Do you feel so? Is there someone that can confirm, side-by-side on two phones with latest and the 121.x firmware? thanks.

--> If it's not broken, dont fix it!!! (I had to because the MSN Mobile thing didnt work on my old firmware!)

Please use plain text.
Contributor

1. For a week i couldn't enter the phone menu. only the phone book was available. I've reboot the phone endlessly, and it wouldn't change.

2. All the themes that we're previously installedand the new themes as well - have the phonebook all black and you could see a contact only if you were on it

3. I wouldn't restore any backup i've done from my computer, only the backup done on the memory card

4. AND THE WORST PROBLEM: internet won't work at all

4a. it says "No internet connection available" whenever i try connecting through GPRS

4b. it detects the wireless networks, but whenever i select one, it openes the browser and than it says "No connection available"

So... tell me what to do!  I'm so mad it won't work!

Is there a possibility for me to DOWNGRADE it?!?! I'm desperate... I don't want to dump this one and have to buy a new one!

Thanks

Please use plain text.

jacc21:

For some reason, setting the positioning server fixed my problem, I get a lock in a few seconds (~ 15 seconds)

- mvk

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]
To everyone with GPS problems: what did you have set as the positioning server if changing it cured the problem? My GPS works normally. My server is set up as:

supl.nokia.com
Message Edited by kvirtanen on 27-Jan-2009 06:59 AM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

One more thing that doesn't work:

Any calendar entry that is set for today won't be listed on main screen. It says "No calendar entries today".

Especially meetings that are most important.

It would show it the days before, but it won't show it on the screen today!

Please use plain text.