Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Error 1720 while updating program

Advisor

Error 1720 while updating program

Hi everyone i seem to getting this error message when i try to update the software updater program,
Error 1720,there is a problem with this windows installer package. a script required for this install to complete could not be run,contact your support personnel or package vendor. custom action kill_process script error -2147023828, : Line 5, Colum...

anyone know what to do? i cant install it
Sage
m80116

Re: Error 1720 while updating program

[ Edited ]
I have the same problem here :smileysad:

I've tried evrything.

Installing Windows Scripting Host 5.7, Windows Installer 3.1.... aggressively deleting directories and entries and try to reinstall again: nothing works.

How the heck did i get it installed before ? :smileyindifferent:

Message Edited by m80116 on 13-Sep-200701:48 AM

Advisor

Come on guys please help us out, im sure were not the only ones with this problem...anyone ??
Sage
m80116

[ Edited ]
Nokia don't care !

I just got my N80 back from the assistance. Guess what: they solved the problem, but came back with another one.

They wrote in the envelope: electrical repair. I don't think so. Then someone on the ng says: yeees.... they do cause Nokia would give us additional 10 Euros ! :smileyindifferent:

At best I expect a similar treatment for software assistance.

Anyhow I have a final solution: ebay is waiting...

Message Edited by m80116 on 13-Sep-200708:21 PM

Registered Member

hey mates, I got the same problem, I tried for three days, and I found it was because I disable some windows services, such as windows management instrumentation, removable storage, com+ system application, event log and COM+ Event system.
Just enable them and try it again. I think you probably can install the NSU.
all the best.
Advisor
unna

http://www.elakiri.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172915&page=30

I copy the relevant content, just in case:

----------------------------

yo its updating...... if u have any problem installing the PC suite try this

error: 'Error 1720. There is a problem with the windows installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action Kill_process script error -2147023898,: line 5 column 1,.

the very best solution:

This is easy to get around. The error is only in Nokia's combined installer, not the NSU installer itself.

1. Download and install 7-Zip. Don't worry it's free!
(No, neither WinRAR nor WinZip will do for this)

Get it here: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

2. Use 7-Zip to extract the contents of NokiaSoftwareUpdaterSetup_en.exe into a folder. You should now have a bunch of folders and a few files.

3. Go into Packages, then NokiaSoftwareUpdater, then Setup

4. Launch NokiaSoftwareUpdater.msi (double-click it).

5. That's it!
-------------------------------------

Bruno Unna
Public key available.

Hi unna, wow nice find. I been having problems with this for ages, followed your instructions and working fine now.

Fantastic. Thanks !!! 

Registered Member
babs2010

Followed all your instructions but still getting the same error, any other ideas??

Registered Member

If you are getting same error "Error  1720: There is a problem with this windows Installer Packages" after executing "rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository" command from command line, remove entries of "Nokia Software Updater" by searching in the registry. To invoke registry you need to execute "regedit" command from Windows Start -> Run.

After removing all the entries of "Nokia Software Updater", reboot PC and then install Nokia PC Suite and Nokia Software Updater. 

I followed same steps and i am successful in installing latest version i.e.  v1.8.10en.