Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Fail to update phone software on Nokia C3-01

androdion

Fail to update phone software on Nokia C3-01

I connected my Nokia C3-01 to my PC via USB cable because I wanted to put some MP3 files on the memory card, and since it was connected I went on to do a backup on the phone. While opening Ovi Suite it asked me to upgrade the program and now I have a new program called just Nokia Suite on its place, which is basically the same thing but with a diferent layout. I synced photos, phone numbers and text messages with no problem, but whenever I try to backup the phone it just gets stuck at around 75% of the progress. I've tried several times, and even tried it without the memory card, but it always ends in the same place with the program telling me that the progress on the specific part of the backup is at 0% and it never goes on to finish. The program is still responsive and all as I can cancel the backup without problems but I can't seem to be able to backup my damn phone. And since I can't back it up I also can't update its software without loosing everything on it.

Any help?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
aadilh1

[ Edited ]

Technical issues can sometimes prevent backing up. To clarify
does the backup fail as part of an update process such as firmware update or a normal manual backup?

Can you figure out what part of the backup process is causing the failure?

The most up to date software suite allows various tick boxed to select type of backup. Most data is stored on internal/external memory e: / f:, generally all that data stays there & in turn can be copied faster manually if require using mass storage mode.

From previous experience backing up phone settings & applications can either cause a delay or become stuck. I would suggesting backing up selected items, such as contacts, calendar, notes, bookmarks, messages/document at one instant & anything else separately. You can create custom backups to keep track. Remember bookmarks such as opera bookmarks will be separate to using something like opera link would be useful if doing selective backups.

If you did succeed to manually perform All backups, then you could hard reset your phone which would wipe all data & then perform firmware updates if available, ending with a repeat restore.

I hope that helps.

Remember, Questions and Answers are required by this Nokia support board. It's very strict, don't complain, criticise or express opinions which does not answer question or your post could be deleted. My friendly warning.
Please use plain text.
androdion

[ Edited ]

Both actually, although it doesn't fail, it just gets stuck at a certain point.

I can sync everything on my phone normally and separately, messages, phone numbers and photos. I haven't tried backing up bookmarks because I don't use the phone's browser and I haven't tried it also with the agenda because I have a work account on my Outlook setup instead of my personal email. When I try to back up the phone I have everything checked apart from the memory card, because I don't need to back it up, just the content of the memory of the phone. It does everything up to the phone definitions and then it tells me that it's trying to backup the messages, when that part already has a checked box. It remains at 0% for a long time and I eventually grow tired of it being stalled and cancel it, I've let it be for periods of 15-20 minutes and same thing happens.

So you suggest that I backup everything manually and then only backup the phone definitions? I can then restore those from the later backup and sync everything else from the individual ones? Or backup everything separately from the actual backup process?

Also, how does it work for syncing the agenda to Outlook, since I'm asking?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
aadilh1

I'm not too familiar with the synch suite, as long as I have my contacts, notes, bookmarks, messages then I'm safe.

Media files are copied directly from the memory card. There is always going to be some conflict with something.

When things don't work for technical reasons, the functions are removed or replaced.
Remember, Questions and Answers are required by this Nokia support board. It's very strict, don't complain, criticise or express opinions which does not answer question or your post could be deleted. My friendly warning.
Please use plain text.