Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Fed up with "updates": to whom belong MY phone...

Advisor
n8dummyuser

Fed up with "updates": to whom belong MY phone?

Short story. After one or two months without doing it (was I lasy?), I had the stupid idea of checking software updates for my N8. Was not at first easy, since the Ovi suite (after upgrading to last version) kept cheking for hours for "software updates". In the end, I managed to have it done. My N8 rebooted, with a sort of "new look", some of the icons having even been changed in such a way, that it was hard to remember to what they pointed (albeit the position seemed to have been respected).

Then, when I looked to the Ovi suite screen, what I saw, is that I needed another update to "Anna" telling me that with Anna, my N8 life will become wonderfully better. But Anna  resited to the attraction of the Ovi suite, and it was impossible to have here come down to my phone.

Alas! I was in a rush. I cheked that my phone was correctly functionning. Apparently, yes. Then I went to a business meeting.

During the meeting, for the purpose of the discussion, I had to check some data I usually carry with me in the phone. I clicked on the excel file "sorry, format not recognized". I tried a word file. Same answer. In a panic, I turned to a .pdf. Same answer.

So next time I'll carry with me a paper copy of these files.

When I had time ahead, I finally managed to updgrade to Anna, with wifi connection (is it cumpulsary, when you buy a N8 phone to have a wifi connection at hand?). Only then, I was able to view again my "office" files.

So my question to the smart Nokia software geeks. Is the N8 I bought with my own monies (not even in a line subscription package), MY phone or YOUR phone, with witch you can play to have some occupation during  the long and  dark winter season in Finland?

By the way, so far, Anna didn't impress me with some extraordinary more wonderfull features, I han those I had with the previous N8 software girl, I was forced to leave.

Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

Re: Fed up with "updates": to whom belong MY phone?

with witch you can play to have some occupation during  the long and  dark winter season in Finland? yep, could not agree more! i think, well...mmmm. yep

total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

You gotta ev'ry right askin to whom yer phone belong, girl!

Them Fins, messin up yo fone n meetin n sheat. That just wrong girl. You buy dat fone with yo money, so why them Fins messin it up, winter nights or not. Quite.

I absolutely love that post. 

@n8dummyuser: A phone update shouldn't be done in a rush. It is your mistake you half-updated your phone and went to a meeting with it, especially if you use the phone for business. You wouldn't go into a meeting half-dressed, would you? And if you did would you write an angry letter to the pants factory? Guess not. Girl!

Please use plain text.
Sage
nokton12

Can you tell what business you are in?

funny conversation, and yes when you paid your phone it's YOUR'S.:smileywink:

Nokia N9 Black
Please use plain text.
Advisor
n8dummyuser

I absolutely love your pinguin jargon;

I never go to meeting half dressed. When I open my cupboard to take my suit, my suit is there ready to be weared. Nobody is telling me that I need to go to a shop to have it changed. If my suit is obsolete, it"s my sole responsibility to have it changed.

I'm the customer of Nokia, not its muppet. If Nokia sells me something that works it is its responsibility not to change its functionning as it wants. I'm not interested in waisting my time in trying to cope with any of Nokia software employees fancyness. I'm not either an Iphone gruppy, adoring the god Steve Jobs (if I were, I wouldn't have bought an N8 phone).

You Noka people, be serious for a while. I have to mention a second problem I had with the update : I lost the voice guidance on Ovi maps. I discovered this whilst I was driving in a difficult area. The phone told me '"go on line to obtain the voice guidance". Impossible to go on line. Consequence I had no voice guidance until I was at destination ! Thank you Nokia support team for your extreme intelligence in taking care of your customers ! I would rather having you being not so smart and more attentive to your customer convenience.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n8dummyuser

The sort of business I'm in is not relevant to the issue. Could be any kind of business, where information is crucial when having discussions.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Jerre123

I admit that this won't be helping you but Nokia has also a Business line (E series) and I haven't had any issues with Office documents with my E6. But I can really understand your frustration if you rely on your hardware and it lest you down in the heat of the fight.

Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

hei.

relax and chill. you are not alone. all of us are having / have had painful agonizing experiences with our E7s and N8s.

clearly, after symbian 3.2, nokia is going backwards. frequent updating, resetting, restarting, hard resetting, soft resetting, factory resetting, reflashing, nokia care center, nokia care line, banging our heads on the wall, scratching our head in despair... and the experience goes on.

like i said elsewhere: yout buy an expensive phone to just USE it and not to play with it as if you don't have any other work or life.

E90 and before just worked. you bought a phone, it worked. you got on with life.

and here comes windows phone mango, papaya and potato!

Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

and he is right in asking this question. nokia analytics collector phones home with ~50kb of data about your usage, location etc.

3.2 phones and above did not do this. why should i send an SMS to 555550 everytime after i put in a new sim card or reset?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n8dummyuser

thank you metal_might. You cheer me. I see I'm not suffering alone.

To extend the issue, I agree with you. All this fuss about smart phones is likely to turn to a nightmare whit phone makers such as Nokia joining the croud of  monopolist money extractors from the purse of their customers. As much as I admire technology pionneers and inventors, I hate rentiers who just want to take advantage of the knowledge and position they have vis-à-vis their customers to more-or-less force them to pay for services they didn't ask for.

We buy products to use the product, for a maximum length of time in a reliable manner, not to be the hostage of the product fabricant.

Please use plain text.
Sage
andrewaussie

learn to spell properly
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CameronS

@n8dummyuser: It's a shame you had these problems, but they seem to me to be perfectly explicable (especially if you searched and read these forums).

1. The ANNA update has (from what I can understand, because I haven't had the luxury of actually updating yet) three parts. There's a part that you update the base operating system, and then there's a further Part 1 and Part 2. These later parts include QuickOffice, which is the application that allows you to see and edit Microsoft Office files (the Excel file you mentioned). If you just update without the later parts, you will not have QuickOffice and your phone basically has an incomplete update. There are apparently instructions telling this, and no, Nokia did not take any of your functionality away - they assume you will complete the update process.

2. The Maps application has gone through a number of updates, which required the map data to be updated as well. Once again, you would have been told that in one of the little windows that pops up on your screen as you do the update, and Nokia would have asumed you would read these notices and follow their instructions. The voice guidance files are part of the map data update, so would have to be re-loaded as well.

I guess the message to you is to take care as you update your phone (as I assume you do when you update your computer) ie take backups, read the instructions carefully, take a deep breath and pause before you hit the go button.

Cheers,

Cameron

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n8dummyuser

Of course, Cameron, you are right. Updates need not to be improvise, this applies to phones as well as to computers.

I' m currently using several PC's with about 50 applications. I regularly run updates at the level of the operating systems and at the level of applications. I never, NEVER, had any problem with updates I just click "accept" (or OK) and the job is done.

With my Nokia N8, I need to pay close attention to all the windows and notices that open when doing the update. Ok, may be I neglected to read some of these carefully. But let me tell you, that if I update my phone firmware and basic operating system, I do not expect in the middle of the process being left with a message such as "connection failed, try later". And if this is the case, I expect the installation to return to what it was before the attempt.

Now take Nokia maps. I've carefully installed all the maps I require, with voice guidance. When I ask for checking if an update is available, Nokia map service takes the information from my phone and confront it with its data base. I can see this on the ovi screen. So, when the update is launched (for certain of them it may last more than one hour), I'm not sitting in front of my computer waiting for the ribbon at the bottom to reach the end. And when the process is finished, I expect ALL the necessary files to having been updated, whether maps or voice. Because an update normally doesn't result in a  truncation, I think you can agree with this.

Please use plain text.