Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Firmware Updates in North America (NAM devices...

Registered Member
SoDanishWasLike

Re: Firmware Updates in North America (NAM devices) - Campaign for Equality!

Totally agree with everything written here - there should not be this kind of delay with the firmware updates.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dpvball

The truly baffling thing though is what they're doing with the 5800 right now. As far as i understand, the 5800 and 5800 Nav are basically the exact same phone except the nav had all the navigation free for life. Since navigation is free for everyone now there really shouldn't be any difference at all. But the 5800 US Nav got the v40 firmware as of yesterday and i'm still waiting on v40 for the regular 5800. Why not just release the firmware at the same time? All the different product codes for the exact same phone really doesn't make any sense. I could understand if it was different hardware, but these things are the same. Even different colors of the same phone have different product codes. It's quite frustrating... And it seems like the early adopters of getting the 5800 are always getting the shaft while everyone else gets the firmware updates.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Let's all call to Mr. Nokia Jr. as USA did with Mr. Toyoda. He needs to answer some questions Mate!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wrait

Signed, I like Symbian as an operating system, the only one coming up that I like other than that is android that I can see.  I've got a 5800 and I'm hlding off buying a new phone till the wave of new phones later this year.  If I don't have an update by then, I know at leats I won't be supporting Nokia anymore.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I've had a 5530XM since late December, and v20 was already out, but not in NAM. Still waiting for the new firmware :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sushidushi

I am in Canada, with a 5800XM, locked on the Rogers network.  There have been suggestions that it's possible to enter a different product code and get the latest software, but I'm pretty sure that to do so would invalidate your warranty should anything go wrong.

I do hope that the latest software will soon be made available.  Apart from anything else, clicking on different parts of the Nokia Canada site takes me to Nokia USA and Nokia Europe, which only confuses the matter.  It is so frustrating!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wrait

[ Edited ]

Well now that my nerd rage has died down, looking at when V40 for 5800 actually came out, its only beeb maybe 1.5 months.  Still though it sucks not having any specifics and knowing that Nokia has seemingly dropped the ball in the past.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
___voyager___

COME ON NOKIA!

Give us what we deserve! I am really dissapointed user of E75-2, product code 0583344....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dpvball

you know the funny thing is nokia VPs keep on talking about how they really screwed up with all these handsets and how they realize that a lot of cell phone inovation is now happening in the US and that they are shifting focus to the US market, but as they say talk is cheap. I still haven't seen them focus on the US market all that much. Every phone is initially still released overseas first and firmwares are released months after their asia/europe counterparts. Clearly their focus is still on the overseas market and not on the US. And as much as I am a nokia fan, their market share is just going to continue to erode away unless they are serious about taking on the new players in the cell phone game like Apple and Google and even Microsoft with Windows Mobile 7. And considering all three are all focused on the US, you have to take the battle to them in the US. You can't fight a war from afar and hope to win it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

To me, it feels like Nokia has lost it's way in the smartphone marketplace, like an aging rock star who's playing a style of music that was popular 10 yrs ago.

I look at the smartphone leaders (Blackberry, Apple, Android) and they realize that the focus these days is on hardware and not software.  Then I look at Nokia.  I admit the Ovi store has a decent interface, but it lacks so much in terms of content.  Furthermore, there seem to be so many versions of what is essentially the same thing.  If you don't believe me, search for a Facebook application and notice it is officially released for the E71/E72, but not other E-series devices, and I might be mistaken, but there are separate versions for the 5800 and N97.  Is this the reason that firmware updates aren't available for all phones at the same time?

What other smartphone manufacturers seem to have done correctly is built their hardware in such a way that apps, firmware, etc. are applicable to all of their devices.  I believe Apple is most succesfull because they do one thing, and they do it well.  As opposed to Nokia, which by now must have somewhere near 100 hardware devices, yet not one of them runs a Yelp app, or can properly handle folders on an Exchange server (yes Nokia, I need to be able to see when there is unread mail in folders other than my inbox.)

What sets one smartphone apart from another in this year 2010 is not just the hardware, but and more importantly, the software.  Interface, availability of apps, and ease of development for the particular platform.  When I used my friends 5800 for the first time, I was left wondering whether any of the Nokia engineers actually evaluated the usability of the phone, because after only 5 minutes I had a ten item list of improvements I thought could have been made to the UI.  But so it goes...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I AGREE 100 MILLION PERCENT!!!!!! NOT ONLY DO WE LIKE RARELY GET ANY FIRMWARE UPDATES. WE ARE ALSO LIKE A MILLION VERSIONS BEHIND. AND EVEN IF WE GET AND INLOCKED/ UNBRANDED VERSION WE STILL GET SCREWED!   I BOUGHT MY 5800 IN THE BEGINNING OF AUGUST OF 2009 AND I GOT MY FIRST FIRMWARE UPDATE YESTERDAY!!!!!! AND ITS STILL BEHIND EVERYOTHER PLACE IN THE WORLD!

THERE ARE A LOT OF CUSTOMERS HERE IN NORTH AMERICA. BUT IF NOKIA KEEPS THIS UP THERE ARENT GOING TO BE ANY! IF THEY WANT TO SELL THEIR PRODUCTS THEY SHOULD START SUPPORTING THE PEOPLE THAT BUY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dpvball

at least you got the v40 update for your phone... it's been almost 3 weeks now and still no update for the original 5800 XpressMusic. i'm considering just changing the product code at this point and updating with the Nav Edition Firmware since nokia can't get their act together and just release the update already.

Please use plain text.
Sage

same here original nokia 5800 nam v 0577454.. due to terrible support in the u.s. will never buy another nokia product.. this after buying 9 nokia phones.. they have realy screwed the pooch.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dpvball

i swear at this point there are more "updates/features" being released by modders than there are by nokia. it's a shame. i mean it's not a bad product, but at the end of the day I don't understand why they keep on releasing different versions of the same operating system on different phones. Just follow the apple and google philosophy already. Just release the same features on every phone and let people decide what hardware they want. It doesn't make any sense to customize every phone so that one has this feature and another has that feature and they don't share the same things. It's sad that modders are the ones who have to try to port over an n97/symbian^3 homescreen over to the 5800 when nokia has the source code sitting right in front of them and could just port it over easily.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I agree

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I don't understand why there is no word from Nokia. They must have some idea when the updates will be available for each of the phone models still waiting. I've searched all over their websites/forums and related sites and no one seems to have any idea when the next firmware release for North America will happen.

On the NokiaUSA website I am told the latest software for my device (N97 mini) is "11.0.045.*".

Then I am told it is not available for my device.

This makes no sense. Why tell me there's a new version if NO ONE in North America can download it?

It would be nice if a real Nokia representative would say something official like "It's not ready yet, coming soon" or "We'll have it ready in a few more weeks"  or something.

We need to know Nokia is at least aware that we are waiting and that they have some intention of releasing this new firmware to us someday.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Damn Buddy Tell us something new!

Nokia I'm looking for the update everyday.

Screw you Nokia!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the last time I check for the update for the NAM version!

I'm buying the nexus one tomorrow and burning this 5800 !!!!!!!!!!!! and never gonna buy another NOKIA product in my life. 

FY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
themayorbynight

I completely agree! I have been an avid Nokia supporter since my first cellphone in 1996 (virtually an eternity ago in technology years).  However, my next cellphone probably will NOT be a Nokia.  Waiting forever for basic firmware updates despite having paid a higher unsubsidized price for the phone is just absurd.  Hopefully by the time my next non-Nokia cell phone becomes outdated and I'm back in the market Nokia will have realized that it's uncool to ignore their State side customers just because we're on the wrong side of the pond.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
nixy_fedorov

Hi,

Nokia Support Discussions is a peer-to-peer troubleshooting and support forum, if you wish to make your feelings known to Nokia directly, you should do so directly via your local Nokia Care line.

Regards,

Nixy_fedorov

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dpvball

Hey what do you know. v40 just showed up for 5800 XpressMusic. As happy as I am to see it, still pretty lame that the rest of the world got it January 13th and we're getting it March 22nd. I guess it's an improvement on their previous releases being that it used to take 3-4 months. this time only 2 months and 9 days... what a joke

Please use plain text.