Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Firmware Updates in the UK - Campaign for Equa...

Counsellor
mariusmssj

Re: Firmware Updates in the UK - Campaign for Equality

i got my fingers crossed for V11 

i only got bothered for this whole firmware thing because my mate told me that there is an update from v10 to v11 and i was very saddened to hear that we can't get it yet :smileysad: 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

cant wait ...............
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
imlite

Ah ha the start point for this release date rumour. Only a few days to go to see if it is true or another falsehood from a troll.

The interesting point is that so many people have jumped on these dates. Obviously there is a need by many for a V20 update.

Does the UK come under Euro, Remaining or have we been missed off the list again?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes, accepted this is just a rumour, and I doubt the date very much after years of Nokia firmware experience. It does seem a little nicely packaged for Nokia i.e. every day sees a new region getting an update. Strange that it starts on a Saturday, are Nokia going to man the update servers because of issues because of the increase in demand on the update servers.

But would be great if for once they have decided to include the UK in the EURO region for once.Sadly I had to debrand my Vodafone N96 to get the 'latest' firmware and that shouldn't be the case unless Vodafone is scared of providing Audio themes to its handset owners.

imlite wrote:

Ah ha the start point for this release date rumour. Only a few days to go to see if it is true or another falsehood from a troll.

The interesting point is that so many people have jumped on these dates. Obviously there is a need by many for a V20 update.

Does the UK come under Euro, Remaining or have we been missed off the list again?

N95,N96 and N97
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

This is nothing but pure speculation that has spread like wildfire from one forum to another with gullible people accepting it as the gospel truth. It would be nice for N97 owners if it was a real schedule but I personally wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw Nokia HQ in Espoo.

For starters, Nokia has no say whatsoever about the release date for branded versions of the firmware, which pretty much blows the table given out of the water.

It's a nice pipe dream, so don't actually believe it and you won't be disappointed if it turns out to be a load of rubbish.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Employee
jauhis

neukenuk wrote:

Spotted N97 V2.0 coming soon.

N97 Approximate Rollout Schedule:
1. 10th of October : Rollout to unbranded ASIA productcodes
2. 11th of October : Rollout to unbranded EURO productcodes
3. 12th of October : Rollout to unbranded AMERICAS productcodes
4. 13th of October : Rollout to unbranded REMAINING productcodes
5. 14 till 19th of October : Rollout to all branded productcodes
6. 20th of October : Rollout globally completed.

Dont know if I should wince or cheer still. Do I hope it true? Possibly maybe

Source: Dailymobile.se

I am not sure about the origin of the above but what I can say is that the schedule is incorrect.

We are for sure putting the N97 PR2.0 out for public download as soon as possible. PR2.0 will be a major overhaul of the PR1.x baseline. In fact, there is so much new stuff included that we will first introduce PR2.0 via NSU. The schedule for PR2.0 is still not verified, but I'd expect to find the open market versions being distributed by the end of this month (this is not a promise). You will  be notified of the new SW availability via myNokia (are you a member yet?) and the in-built SW update application on your N97, which will notifiy you about new firmware releases in NSU and/or FOTA as well as core application updates such as Maps etc.

FOTA updates to PR2.0 will follow in due course.

I know that there is a lot of anticipation for this release and therefore we are putting an extra effort to ensure that your update experience will make it worth the waiting.

In addition to the above, next week we are introducing the latest version of the NSU client so be aware that you will have to update your currently installed version. The main changes in the new client include support for the N900 product as well as some minor improvements. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

jauhis, thanks for the info.

Do you have any information regarding the availability of this update for the UK CV models? 

We had to wait a few weeks for v11, almost two months for v12, only to have it pulled from the servers less than 24 hours later, and it still has not returned.  Will this new version be a long wait too?

Also do you have a reason as to why the UK CV 5800's still haven't got v30 or v31?  Why must we always wait in the UK?  What makes us so unique here?

I look forward to reading your answers! :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Employee
jauhis

After the open market's regional versions are released the country variants will follow along with operator/carrier/customer variants if applicable.

There have been problems in getting UK country variants approved during this year which you guys know very well. The situation is getting back to normal and I can't go into more detail on this one.

Generally speaking, there are countries where approvals take time for various reasons. The delays may be due to diverse verification requirements set by local authorities and network providers. Also plain consumer demand plays somewhat of a factor, but only for priorization purposes. In the UK case it sure is not due to lacking consumer demand and I know that the situation is improving.

What comes to N97 PR1.2 for UK, I'd recommend to sit still and update to PR2.0.

What comes to 5800 xpr, I'll come back to this after the weekend (it's already 22:20 pm in Finland and the sauna waits).

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

wow now this makes intresting ,we have the officials on board .
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mariusmssj

[ Edited ]

so nice of you to show up here Jauhis

if you don't mind me asking, do you any info on when would we be able to get the new V11 update for 5530xm in uk? 

thanks 

Message Edited by mariusmssj on 09-Oct-2009 08:36 PM
Message Edited by mariusmssj on 09-Oct-2009 08:42 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Thank you jauhis for your comments.

I hope the situation in the UK does improve, I will be watching the release of PR2.0 with great interest to see how we are treated this time.

I'm sure some people will look forward to your comments about the 5800 too. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
imlite

Well thank you jauhis. So, as suspected the release dates are the work of a troll, I guess someone seeing the public need for the updates and jumping in to cause mischief.

So PR2.0 (Public Release 2.0) will hopefully begin being released through the latest version of the NSU to unlocked N97’s in some regions by the end of this month, than to locked N97’s, followed by FOTA updates.

The problems in the UK are being resolved so PR2.0 should be available for Christmas...lol

Very informative and thank you again. You see if Nokia were more open like this there would be far fewer problems.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
realredfox

yeah I'm so relieved that instead of a grain of hope I now have the official empty wordshells again and get a massive answer with a load of PR talk but no information value whatsoever. nice move.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Lets keep an open mind for now and give jauhis a chance to help. A negative attitude is not helpful and likely to discourage nokia employees from speaking to us at all. So please for the sake of courtesy lets just see what happens.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
krustylicious

I personally also the e75 is updated fairly shortly. 4 months after the generic firmware gets updated, still no update for the for the branded uk folk.

Even though below is rumoured to be false, nokia should take note and should release firmware like below.

N97 Approximate Rollout Schedule:
1. 10th of October : Rollout to unbranded ASIA productcodes
2. 11th of October : Rollout to unbranded EURO productcodes
3. 12th of October : Rollout to unbranded AMERICAS productcodes
4. 13th of October : Rollout to unbranded REMAINING productcodes
5. 14 till 19th of October : Rollout to all branded productcodes
6. 20th of October : Rollout globally completed.

Dont know if I should wince or cheer still. Do I hope it true? Possibly maybe

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Jauhis.

Thank you for your response. It is certainly welcome that you have responded as an unofficial voice of Nokia and even if it was to knock back the misinformation I posted.

Yes I am a member of MyNokia and alway welcome the duplicate text messages within seconds of each other. The only thing that I am currectly scared of, is that when PR2.0 is released that they dont update Maps at the same time, because I have one of those dodgy handsets with fault GPS that has not yet been acknowledged as a fault.

Thanks for affirming that networks are stiffling firmware releases in the UK non-branded handset with your very carefully worded response. I wonder if any Euro laws could be applied for anti-competitveness/trust. Networks are stiffling general release whilst allowing for the release of their own branded firmwares.

N95,N96 and N97
Please use plain text.
Professor
phatdumi

[ Edited ]

Could you tell us wheather the update will come before or after the release of  the N97 Mini? I ask this coz am made to believe that the mini will roll out with V2.0 and if it is on the mini then surely there's no point in holding back updates till after the release. N97 came first so it should be updated first.

Message Edited by phatdumi on 10-Oct-2009 12:12 AM
Hit Kudos if I Helped out.
Nokia 3310-> 8810->N95->N95 8Gb->
Nokia N97 Black v21.0.045 RM-505 Code-0585162 (handset No 3)
Please use plain text.
Sage
tankslappa

psychomania wrote:

Thank you jauhis for your comments.

I hope the situation in the UK does improve, I will be watching the release of PR2.0 with great interest to see how we are treated this time.

I'm sure some people will look forward to your comments about the 5800 too. 

I've love to know a little more detail about "The delays may be due to diverse verification requirements set by local authorities and network providers" said by jauhis.

After all, plane loads of tourists come in and out of the UK every day with their roaming GSM phones. Some of them would have been N97s running V12 before it became available to the UK CV phones... Unverified by local authorities and network providers they continue to function perfectly. As do the N97s belonging to people have done "that which must not be spoken about", or grey imported a Euro generic model.

After all, GSM et al is supposed to be a global standard after all, and with the exception of Apple and their pityful SMS/MMS support, all the "real" mobile manufacturers know it rather well!

BTW, I think the source of the time scale is this post...

http://www.nokian97forum.com/general-lg-viewty-discussion/new!-nokia-n97-2-0-release-stages-andgtand...

He says the time scale has been confirmed by Nokia UK & Nokia MENA... How true that is you guess! Actually... It can't be true... When did Nokia UK ever admit to knowing anything! lol!

Oh well, we shall find out over the next few hours, and I'll find out on Sunday... ;-)

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I honestly feel what you all are saying, but you guys don't have to wait nearly as long for updates as we have to in the states. Only up until recently are we even getting the same updates as the rest of the world. Our N96s never even made it to the latest version -_-
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

taruntanu wrote:
wow now this makes intresting ,we have the officials on board .

Yes, and they have saunas. So that's what my N97 money is paying for... :smileywink:

It's a real shame that release schedule was a load of codswallop. I'll continue watching this thread with great interest...

Message Edited by zxon on 10-Oct-2009 09:53 AM
Please use plain text.