Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Firmware Updates in the UK - Campaign for Equa...

Sage

Re: Firmware Updates in the UK - Campaign for Equality

I think alot of the posts here are taking out their anger at Nokia only, this is perfectly valid however you should also blame the networks aswell. The reason being that in order for networks to subsidise the handsets (i.e. make them cheaper) they WANT to customise them, this is simply a requirement Nokia cannot ignore. So the real questions is why do they want to customise them? I mean if it's causing so much problems with the customise F/W and expensive because of engineer repairs, the reason is simple - by placing their own links and applications to their own online store where they sell stuff they will earn more money - and therefore a customised handset is worth far more to them than an uncustomised one, hence updates need to be approved by the network before they can be released. Now that thats been cleared up, we come to the fact that Nokia are ALSO to blame, as a seperation between core OS and customisation has not been made i.e. updating the core OS should be available for everyone no matter where you are in the world or what network. This would effectively alleviate this thread. However I DO think Nokia ARE taking this into account, proof of this is in the Nokia 5800. Older Nokias simply had a software version, but the new S60v5 has customisation firmware version aswell! This I speculate will mean Nokia will eventually ensure everyone gets updates at the almost the same time.

Please use plain text.
Sage
grimreaper

tankslappa wrote:
So did anyone contact Bobbie Johnson from the Guardian?

He actually contacted me with a few questions & i've replied. He said he's hoping to publish something in the next few days. It'll be interesting to see if we get any sort of response from Nokia

I'd rather die on my feet, Than keep living on my knee's!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
katastrofic

[ Edited ]
FW v12.xxx.xx.26 avaible in UK for unbranded N97 mobiles. Just updated - so far ok.
Message Edited by katastrofic on 19-Oct-2009 08:44 PM
N3210 * N3310 * N6210 * N8210 * N7650 * N6630 * E65 * N95 * N97 RM-505 v2.0
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Oh the irony! After several days' worth of the phone hinting that I could get V12, I finally downloaded it OTA and my phone is worse than before! I can't access the music player anymore, which is a massive issue for me. Photos on favourite contacts widgets less reliable than before, also I can't access the device updates any more. Sorry if this is a bit OT, I just hope that V2.0 isn't far off. But how will I install it if I ccan't access device updates and my USB seems to have given up the ghost?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

What happen with 5800???

Any news?? Kinetic Scrolling??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

The Guardian have published a report about this campaign:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/21/nokia-n97-updates 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

cheers :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Sage
tankslappa

psychomania wrote:

The Guardian have published a report about this campaign:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/21/nokia-n97-updates 

<monty burns>Excellent</monty burns>
Please use plain text.
Sage
dchewitt

Well done to those involved. 

Hopefully Nokia will take note.

Current Devices:
N900, N97, 5800 & iPhone.
nukea - we will get the perfect device in the end (but not this year!)
Please use plain text.
Sage
grimreaper

I am one happy, un-named, mobile retail employee!!  lol

Hopefully nokia will now sit up & take notice.

I'd rather die on my feet, Than keep living on my knee's!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
just2exy

I'm happy The Guardian published this. A researcher for The Guardian asked me a variety of questions before they published the article. In the meantime I am speaking to various other newspapers (tech section) about articles they are soon to print. Oh & watchdog soon. Can't wait!

Stay tuned.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

i guess even Indian Media agency will soon post a article about users irony behind N97 have to wait and watch .
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

grimreaper wrote:

I am one happy, un-named, mobile retail employee!!  lol

Hopefully nokia will now sit up & take notice.

Good comments mate, had a feeling it was you they were talking about.

I'm glad they made it a well balanced article, not a hatchet job.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Bad press perhaps, but it was somewhat deserved. Could be bad timing, if Nokia really are improving updates for the UK, but then if they had done it sooner....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

The release of v20 for the N97 will be the big test to see if they've sorted it, hopefully once and for all not just a one-off.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

bartmanekul wrote:
Bad press perhaps, but it was somewhat deserved. Could be bad timing, if Nokia really are improving updates for the UK, but then if they had done it sooner....

Definitely deserved! And were you reassured by the comments from Nokia UK? I wasn't....

As a software engineer I find it amazing that they haven't moved to a core OS and a branding/country specific layer that's installed on top. This along with some communication and OS releases to everyone worldwide would have stopped things from getting to this situation...

I see V12 is available to me now, but not sure whether to bother or just wait for V20 if its supposedly so close? 

Please use plain text.
Sage
rider5512

Just adding my name to this campaign; it's a disgraceful situation.

Top marks to the Guardian for the article.

Rider5512

Rider5512
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I would just like to add my name to this campaign too. UK customers (branded or not) are entitled to the latest updates just like the rest of the world.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Today has seen the release of v31.0.101 for the 5800.  Surprise surprise it's not available for the UK codes despite a nokia employee hinting that it would be earlier in this thread.

The "British Isles" version of the phone got it, dozens of other countries got it but not the UK.  I really hope the article in the Guardian gives nokia UK a much needed kick in the right direction. 

Please use plain text.

I'm with you on this.

I bought a Nokia SIM free N97 to get faster upgrades and now I'm screwed.

I feel really bitter about this.

Please use plain text.