Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Firmware Updates in the UK - Campaign for Equa...

Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: Firmware Updates in the UK - Campaign for Equality

How long ago was V51 firmware for the E72 announced? It was picked up by the media on September 1st, so 11 days ago.

Would Nokia please be so kind as to confirm that UK CV models will get the update some time this millennium?

Probably not...

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Professor
twopuds

I'll second that, same old same old, some things never change. If we're lucky maybe we'll get it before the next release of FW. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

OK, I take my previous comment back. Just over 2 weeks after the rest of the world isn't too bad. Nowhere near as bad as things were for the 5800XM, for example.

I've just downloaded the update via FOTA and the phone has rebooted and started updating itself. Let's see what improvements V51 brings to the E72. I'll probably report back next week after I've had a chance to play with the phone over the weekend.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Sage

UK Gray CV for E72 is up at least for 051.018. Seems not other UK CVs.

Was expecting this to take 6 months.

However the reports aren't good. A lot of supposed fixes but reports of phones crashing a lot etc. All I want is GPS to be fixed and Destinations supported properly in apps like the Email client (rather than having to use Smart Connect).

E72-1 UK CV 052.005
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

I've never had stability issues other than those I've created for myself by installing applications (in particular the old location tagger from betalabs and FreeTimeBox, both make the E72 more or less unusable), and the GPS works satisfactorily.

The new e-mail client still doesn't use destinations. You'll have to continue using SmartConnect.

Also, it insists on you using vlingo. You can't make it go away easily. I'll probably write up something about that over the weekend.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Write-up done: http://techy.horwits.com/2010/09/nokia-e72-firmware-version-v51.html

Please use plain text.
multivac

Still waiting for V3.0 for my Sim free N86,  UK Product code: 0586171. Its been 5 months wondering if they will ever release it :smileymad:

N86 Firmware 20.115
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Resurrecting an old thread here, although it is still relevant.

V52.018 has been released for the E72. Many SIM-free country variants have it but not the UK.

OK, it was only released a few days ago so it may be early days yet. However, given Nokia UK's track record I seriously doubt we'll get this update this year.

NB: if your phone is an operator-branded phone then you cannot expect to get updates in a timely manner. My "rant" and this thread are about unbranded phones, which don't need to wait for operator approval for their updates in theory, getting their updates long after everyone else in the UK.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nnguyen

everyone's been talking about the firmware update issues with version v051.018 for the phones sold in the UK. this time the firmware update v052.005 comes quicker than i thought. is it a good news of change from Nokia for the UK market or just a coincidence?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

What do you mean? V52 is not yet available for UK CV phones.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Well, blow me down. V52 has been released for UK CV E72 product codes!

The cynic in me would say that it's no coincidence that the update has appeared just days after I resurrected this topic... V51 was also released in the UK with little delay behind the rest of the world, so maybe Nokia really has turned a leaf?

Please use plain text.
Professor
twopuds

I think it must be down to your influence, V51 was released a few days after your post about it in this thread and now we have V52 two days after your next!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

It would be nice to think that, wouldn't it? :smileyhappy:

So far so good, anyway. No real noticeable change other than what's already been reported (larger font for the clock, Adobe LE V2.5, keypad lock only on the home screen). Having only installed it last night it's too early to comment on stability.

Please use plain text.
Professor
twopuds

I have to say that I liked the key lock as it was in V51, never mind I know many didn't.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

So did I. I am, however, happy to sacrifice that for Adobe LE 2.5, and I'm not in the least fussed about the font size for the clcok.

Having said this, why could it not have been made a setting so that the user could choose whether the keypad autolocks only on the home screen or everywhere? That would have made everyone happy.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
steve_p

[ Edited ]

Yet again I find myself posting in this mammoth thread. This joke has long since lost its humour. My entire update experience with my X6 always follows the same pattern... The operator networks in the UK can approve a firmware update faster than Nokia UK themselves. :smileysad: Currently as of mid April 2011:

Nokia X6 RM-559, f/w V31.0.4:

O2 UK - 059D2Q0 & 0596498
Orange UK - 0596178
Virgin UK - 059D1J2, 059C045 & 0598046

Meanwhile, f/w V30.0.3:

Country Variant UK GB V3 BLACK/RED 32GB - 0591469

V31 has been out a fair while, a few weeks, so I really don't understand what takes Nokia so long to release the country variant firmwares.

My X6 was the first phone I bought SIM free direct from Nokia's online shop in order to get a phone that was on the 'leading edge' of firmware update schedules. All my previous handsets (7110e, 7650, N70, N80 & N82) were network subsidised/branded from Orange and were always late to have firmware updates but... you expect that from a branded handset. Looks like the joke is on me and as I mentioned at the start of this post it's long since stopped being funny. :smileyindifferent:

S.

History: Motorola MR30, Nokia: 7110, 7650, N70, N80, N82, X6 (32GB), Samsung Galaxy SII

Current: Samsung Galaxy Note3 Black

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have the same X6 model as you. I'm not surprised as I had the same experience with my previous N79 bought SIM free from the Nokia online store, but I share your irritation...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

It's sad to see that whilst updates in the UK for some models has improved (but still far from ideal) others are still being neglected. In fact the whole worldwide updating lark is an absolute joke. The recent release schedules that have been posted have only highlighted what a mess Nokia's firmware policy is.

For phones that aren't tied to a network the updates should be released same day all over the world, no excuses. I honestly thought symbian^3 would have changed this but updates for that seem to be in more of a mess than ever.

The way that updates are delivered is confusing too, not all countries get all updates using both methods (OTA & PC), some do get both but not at the same time. Surely it can't be that hard to release both types everywhere at the same time?

I for one have had enough of the product code lottery and have given up on Nokia ever changing.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Totally agree pyschomania. Although I have branded Nokia C7, I am still waiting for latest update (and others already have it).

I understand that operators need time to load up there dross ware and remove applications:smileywink:..But it should be up to me...the consumer.

I thought I'd give Nokia another try....after may handsets. But maybe it's time to ditch while there still some value in the handset.  Only question is - Android, Blackberry or Steve Jobs kit...??

PS. I've had same issue with my old undbranded E71...that is till have...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

For branded phones there is an excuse and thats the operators but for unbranded phones there is no excuse. The problem is that sometimes an update is delayed just because of the colour of a phone which is just plain crazy! Too many people are involved in software updates within nokia and some just don't understand the importance.

As for what operating system you should get just choose the one that suits your needs and style the best. I choose Android and have not regretted it.
Please use plain text.