Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Firmware Updates in the UK - Campaign for Equality

Counsellor

Re: Firmware Updates in the UK - Campaign for Equality

This is getting ridiculous now. Nearly 2 weeks since the branded Vodafone release and the unbraded is still not available via NSU. There is just no clear principal behind this?

Strange how you can pay full retail for a phone and expect not to be tied to the limitations of the networks accepting firmwares in a timely fashion if they accept them at all. I wonder if this is going to be the case when v2.0 is released? Should I live in hope/regret that Nokia release v2.0 to 0585162 first; I am not sure I want to be a guinea pig again like we all were with v1.0 but would welcome a better interface.

N95,N96 and N97
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

I have the same code as you and they did release the update for it just before the voda update, only for it to be pulled less than 24 hours later.  It was a FOTA update, v12.0.26 which I downloaded only for it to break wi-fi.

The reason it was pulled is because it was removing the wi-fi function and destinations.  The only solution was to reset or restore a settings back up.  

There has been no official word about this or any word as to when it will return fixed.  They really should have made a comment about it but as per usual, silence.

It will be very interesting to see how long we have to wait for v20....... 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mariusmssj

damn o_O

well last week i bought 5530xm, unlocked it's not tied to a network so i guess it's unbranded, i was there is an update for my phone but it's not available for me :smileysad:

this is just ridiculous now, so how long do you think i will have to wait till the update will show up for me too?? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

How long is a piece of string?

I'm assuming that you are in the UK (because you are posting on this UK campaign), if so it could be two weeks, two months or even longer.  No one can say. 

All you can do is wait and keep on checking the updater.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mariusmssj

mmmm this is not fair what nokia is doing
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

It certainly isn't, that's why this campaign was started.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mariusmssj

today is it's 1 month anniversary of this campaign

i just wonder do nokia even read this thread ??:smileyfrustrated: 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hey all,

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of dissatisfied Nokia fans (ex-fans?!).

I've been a fan of Nokia phones for a long time and have almost exclusively had Nokias for the last 10 years. I've got the 0585162 N97 on the V11 firmware and while I think its a good phone I do feel let down by the software. I had problems with the N95 in the past, but found that they were sorted pretty quickly with updates (and that was with a branded phone). I got the N97 early and unbranded as I figured it may have some niggles, but they'd get sorted quickly with an unbranded phone. How wrong I was! This latest confusion over the V12 software is infuriating. I received a couple of emails from Nokia telling me new firmware was available, but couldn't get it FOTA or through NSU. As far as I can tell this has been pulled now anyway and we've got to wait for V2.0 and it's just depressing to think we'll probably end up waiting till the new year to get it.

Like several other people have said, I'm seriously thinking I should have got an iPhone. OK the N97 has some good extra features, but at least the iPhone works!

I am seriously annoyed that I've paid extra to get an unbranded phone and Nokia really doesn't seem to be looking after us. I'm an engineer and we treated our customers this way, we wouldn't have a job any more. I understand having development issues etc, but they should communicate what's going on and we should all get updates at the same time. Why is the UK so much later? If a delay is required for some reason, then tell us why and how long. Is that so much to ask when you've bought a flagship product?

V2.0 better not take too long and better be good, or like many others I'll be going elsewhere.

Rant over! 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

mariusmssj wrote:
i just wonder do nokia even read this thread ??:smileyfrustrated: 

I can say that this thread has been marked by the moderators as something that the Nokia mothership should follow. Whether or not Nokia will exert any pressure anywhere is anyone's guess.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mariusmssj

well we already bought the phones so Nokia has our money xD

let's just hope they listen to us =) 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
iggy23

yeah, totally agree with everyone in this thread.

I've been a Nokia customer for years. Originally I was narked that operator firmware on branded handsets was way behind (v1 op to v3 generic) - that is a LOT of bug-fixes. So I went unbranded, at great expense. Not much better, is it?

I was round my brothers house the other day, and he was showing me his new iPhone. Apple said "Firmware update xxx out today" and he plugged his phone in - bingo, there it was, four minutes later he was done. AND he didn't have to reinstall all his contacts, apps etc. Plug and play, wash and go.

I had a wad of cash for an N97... but you know what? no, I'm giving my money to Apple. I'm done with waiting for bug-fixes then having to wipe my phone just to install them. Not acceptable in 2009 Nokia, sorry. You either have on-time, global, non-destructive, incremental bug-fix updates (maybe even automatic) built-in to your new phones, or no amount of flashy ad campaigns, flip out keyboards and user loyalty will help. I'm not an Apple fan, I'd rather have a Nokia device, but until Nokia get their act together they've lost me. Give me a ring when you sort it out... you've got my number

Currently using E71, looking at options
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Well I got V12 yesterday. A bit late, but better than not ever getting as per some.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi just found this thread (no I am not in the UK but NZ) and am guessing that I have just found the reason why I cant update the N85 I just purchased to the new software update just released.  I have sent off an email but I am guessing I may not get a response and will just have to wait. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.

Like many respondents, I've had Nokias for years, right back to my first 2110, I have a old drawer full of them, I've never considered anything else. Also like others I pay a premium to get them from Nokia UK to stop operators jerking around with them. Smartphones are big, competitive business, and Nokia needs to consider where it is going. Maybe it wants only teenage customers who like video ringtones and direct uploads to Bebo who never want to update their phones. I use mine to increase my productivity when travelling and that means heavy memory hungry reliable use of email, office applications, IM and GPS. It requires an intuitive user interface, prompt efficient bugfixes and a support organisation which as well as working on distributing improved functionality is listening to its customers. For the first time in my 15 or so years with mobile devices the business providing that, as typified by this thread, is not Nokia. So for the first time in those years I'm going to try another brand, probably Blackberry.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

To: paul_humphreys

Dear Paul,

Could you let us know how you got V12 on the 7th?

Is yours a generic or branded phone? UK? Which software update route?

And any bugs yet?

I expect like most of the viewers of this thread I am checking daily to be told "No update available"  for my UK generic 0585162 N97

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

If you look back through the thread you will see that he has a vodafone branded model.  The update is out for that, after several false starts.

The update was released for your code via FOTA but it was removed less than 24 hours earlier due to a major problem, again mentioned on this thread.  It has yet to return and we do not know when it will be back.

Please don't ask for bug reports on this thread as we need to keep it on topic. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have a N97 from CPW on Orange, not Vodafone (easy to get it wrong as with so many network phones). I got a text from Nokia stating I could get it. So I tried on my phone and yes I could. But waited till I got home, just incase it all went wrong. I updated it using my laptop with the data lead.

All went well.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Sorry about that.

I noticed the other day that the CPW variant had been released. 

Lets hope the real UK CV variant is re-released soon!   

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

No need to say sorry, as far as I can see your ne of the Greats of this forum :smileyhappy:.

I just hope they get their rear end (would not let me write the 3 letter word!!) in to gear and get all the updates out on day one of the release.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

We can but hope.

Lets keep our fingers collectively crossed for v20! :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.