Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Firmware update PR 2.0

Contributor
AbuNasser

Firmware update PR 2.0

Dear Nokia team,

Please be informed that we have waiting so long time for get firmware update to PR2.0 like your promise in so many website.

While the PINK N8 now available in the market with PR 2.0 and C7 Astound also available PR 2.0 I think the update for the rest N8 which available in market with your customer should be ready in very soon (maximum end of MAY 2011). Please reconsider this issue since as I know for any other company like Apple, Samsung, Sony, HTC , etc they try their best to get their customer satisfied of their product (not like nokia make their customer waiting so long to have for Firmware UPDATE).

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Thewonderer

[ Edited ]

Look at Andriod how fast it is rowling its updates (and provide them the day they are announced). Learn from them! Or are the developers getting lazy? Like employees without strict boss (no offense)

And finally since Microsoft bought skype could u guys give some pressure to skype to make a video call capable skype app for symbian? i believe that not much of us use the front facing camera to make network based video calls.

I am pretty sure i am not the only one desperately waiting for the updates. I may be just a customer for u guys but i have worked hard to earn the $$$s in order to buy my n8.

xWonderer

Please use plain text.
Sage
angler

[ Edited ]

I have a post was edited by Nokia staff just after several hours of posting in this forum.  People here are asking for PR2 (or Anna) for their phone.

angler
Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

We are still working on it. We will inform you officially about release dates closer to the launch.

BR,

yvonne

(Nokia Software Update Promotions Manager and involved in the Symbian Anna launch)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
carre

How many people is working on a Anna? Two? I don´t understand what takes so much time to release Anna. ://
Please use plain text.
Advisor
espano

Definately,

NOKIA is testing our honest fans patience!

What a long waiting!

Still get some information without any acurate release-date!

What the skyee saying,

i think means we have to still wait for at least 1 month or more!

cause no official news,no closer release date!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
grimreaper

[ Edited ]

skyee wrote:

Hi all,

We are still working on it. We will inform you officially about release dates closer to the launch.

BR,

yvonne

(Nokia Software Update Promotions Manager and involved in the Symbian Anna launch)

Thanks for th update Skyee. I will wait for you to post an official notice on it's release.  

I'd rather die on my feet, Than keep living on my knee's!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
k4fari

[ Edited ]

Deleted my post.

Moderator Note: Language edited. Please show some respect towards other users of this public forum.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Suppose you were part of the software team developing this major update.  The guys from Corporate and Marketing are demanding you get it finished quickly, and your Customers are constantly posting about how they want/need it.

Further suppose that you need to go through a testing period, to make sure that there are no major bugs, and that people who install it won't have problems.  This takes a long time, and as you create a collection of these bugs (they're inevitable) you have people start to correct the code.

Let's say you get all the really nasty bugs taken care of, but there is still that never-ending list of newly discovered bugs.  What do you do?  Do you tell everyone to wait while you continue to improve your new software (and get people who demand it NOW upset at the delay) or do you release it anyway, and then get to deal with people having problems?

I don't have an answer for the above, but I think I'd rather wait for somethng less likely to have any major problems. 

The only other alternative would be to release it as a "beta product" for people to test, but that's a big responsibility - if the new software proves to be too buggy, you need to be able to tell people how to go back to the way things were before they installed it.

There's no easy answer, and the people best qualified to decide the timing for any of this are those very same people developing the code.            ....just my opinion on all this.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bumblebirra

What will we get anyway? A portrait keyboard and a browser that still stutters and stumbles around the most simple web pages and lots of new bugs. Most people have phones for about a year, I'm almost half way through the life of my C7 already. We want to maximise and make the most of that life expectancy with frequent updates for the things we ask for. Nokia you are taking far too long to respond to the most simple demands of your customers. Whatever your reasons are, I hope you realise that everyone is eventually going to update things for themselves in the form of new ANDROID phones as soon as they are able to.
Please use plain text.
Sage
lvvine

[ Edited ]

Hello Nokia Mods (viang & zipper22..Etc),

You may see lot of customers are losing hope and pacience. Every day you guys keep deleting, editing & modifying the posts. Nokia should really work hard and provide best solution to the customers. Couple of years back Nokia was the best in the Mobile phone Market. .

Skyee--------- Customers are looking for Best updates (In acceptable amount of time). They want transformation of look, feel, stable & featured software update. Too much of waiting is also more danger of losing customers & they would never be back. Customers when they see other phones with best interface & features they tend to dump the present one and opt for others.

Please provide solution as early as possible.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
k4fari

Respect? What is meant by Respect? I belive in "Do Respect and have Respect". Do Nokia Respect their customers? whenever a post is made you guys delete or edit that, and after that you ask customers to show respect? What kind of Respect Nokia is showing in public forum

We haven't borrowed phones neither you have given us as a gift, We have paid for phones. its our right to ask what we need and crticize, YOU SHOULD RESPECT (CUTOMERS) US.

Please use plain text.
Sage
angler

Totally agreed with k4fari posted.

Customer satisfaction is the prime consideration of a company success. There are still a lot of fans loyal to Nokia, but let's see in 2011 Q2 how many has left?
angler
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Personally,I'd rather have a late working update rather than an early release buggy update. That would cause more to leave. Besides, this is like Nokia's turn to tank. SE and Moto tanked their drops from 2nd and 3rd best selling phone companies to pretty lower ranks for a few years before they are now starting to climb back up. It just takes turns, and now is probably Nokia's turn to lose customers and make changes to regain them.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
vulfajer

i dont think nokia will do anythink with thir relese with : push mail, that in every symbina ^3 nokia dont work very well, like in e71, with the app and system errors that appears and dont let us install nothing in this phones, even from ovistore, with the conenction manager that make us lose a lot of money, with all the respekt, nokia i s dead, sayed from me that am honest to nokia from nokia 3210 to e7 this is true, trust me, if any one from the developers can say something diferent from this, please talk now

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I agree with chanchan05, but I'll go a bit further. When I got my N8, many of my friends were pushing me to get an iphone or Android. No way!

Simply put, there is no other phone currently available that I would prefer over the N8 just the way it is right now.

I'll like it even more once it gets improved, but if I knew the next update wouldn't be out until 2012, I'd go right on using my N8.

(The biggest source of dis-satisfaction at my end is the PC software that is supposed to be used with the N8, but I've found a work0around for that.)

Trying to "rush" software development doesn't work. It takes a long time to do it properly.

(Having said all the above, I'd be all in favor of making a beta copy available as soon as possible, so we can all get involved in working out the bugs and getting it close to being an official release.)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Melbourne

I am very sure Nokia will not come out with an update, why would they. Symbian team is gone now and Symbian is not a priority for Nokia.

I am sure Nokia will have Windows update for N8, instead of Symbian PR2.0

Please use plain text.
Sage
angler

Nokia has many beta test developer. The developing stage seems further slow down after the Microsoft cooperation and loss job demotivation. The beta testing may has just started among the developer. Let's see PR2 may be finalized and released in June 2011.
angler
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Its impossible to put Windows on N8. The hardware can't run it. Its like asking to put Crysis on an Hp Mini.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I think you mean they couldn't put the current version of Windows Phone 7 on a N8; I don't doubt that this is true.

Even if hypothetically, it could be done, why would anyone want a phone like this (http://www.yortondotnet.com/2011/03/windows-phone-7-pros-and-cons.html) with those capabilities over the N8 with its capabilities? 

I'm pretty sure that within a year or two, there will be some form of "Windows" running on a phone that more or less looks like the N8 - Nokia will make the required changes to both hardware and software (and hopefully improve on the usefulness of the OS).  I suspect that comparing this new version of the phone to the current N8 will be similarr to comparing PC Suite to OVI Suite - they will come up with something that has far less power for serious users, and instead has far more "glitz" for Nokia's vision of the younger generation.

I don't know if I'm typical or not, but I prefer something that does all the great things the current N8 does.  To me, "form follows function", and Nokia needs to concentrate on function, as they have in the past obviously.  Once they've got the function working, they can try to fir it into a "form" to allow them to sell a larger number of phones.

(From what I've read so far, the new PR2 Anna upgrade for the N8 will improve BOTH the "form" and the "function".  The phone may still be difficult to learn, but so is a Nikon D3x. Once you take the time to learn the capabilities, only then do you start to appreciate how much better it is than lesser phones.)

Please use plain text.