Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: GSM Radio freezes after N8 USA Anna update

Advisor
bartek
Accepted Solution

GSM Radio freezes after N8 USA Anna update

I installed the USA Anna update yesterday, succeeding only after uninstalling multiple apps and finally resetting (*#7370#) the phone, and I've noticed since that the phone GSM radio froze on multiple occasions, with no outgoing or incoming calls, while the phone software/menus were operational. I typically notice this after I unlock the N8 using the side-slider (use Sleeping Screen as the screensaver) and proceed to make a phone call.

I tried switching from Dual Mode to GSM, but that did not solve the issue. Only a reboot seems to get me back on the network and allows phone calls. This has never happened with the PR1.2 software.

I'm on T-mobile and have ruled out network issues, as this happened in two different areas (Chicago/Evanston).

Is anyone seeing similar behavior?

I do have multiple Beta Labs apps installed.

Please read the detailed description of my issue and troubleshooting steps on Howard Forums.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
OriginalLucy

I find with software updates, it is best to do a clean install.  Back up your handset, factory reset and then install firmware.  Add your apps back one at a time and find out which one is messing with the radio.  With beta software, there may be many conflicts that aren't known.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bartek

I reset the phone again (7370 method) and reinstalled Anna, along with the service pack.
I only restored the basics: messages, bookmarks, contacts, photos, music. I did not restore application settings.

In addition, I installed the following: beta Maps 3.08, Swype 2.0 Beta, beta Camera Update, beta Store QML Client, and AP Mobile.

Today, my phone is again not responding when attempting to make/receive phone calls. I don't think this is caused by beta applications, but some inherent problem with Anna update for this specific product code 059C8T6 or perhaps USA.

I guess I will try one more time, with the exception of not adding Beta software, until I confirm the phone is working OK without beta apps, then add them one at a time.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bartek

Ok, so i've reset *#7370# the N8, reinstalled Anna, along with SP, restored my contacts only, and today I'm back to square one.   The GSM radio froze again this morning.

I will perform a three-finger format, unless someone has any other ideas?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bartek

This is driving me insane.  I reset the N8 using four-finger method, then *#7370#, I formatted Mass Memory, I deleted the update files from my laptop to force Nokia Suite to download them again, I reinstalled Anna, installed Anna 1/2 and 2/2 and SP, Social, Store, and today the radio froze again.

I switched to Offline mode, then tried to switch to Normal profile, but it says "Unable to Change Profile". 

Any ideas? Anyone?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bartek

Well, I finally think I got this thing solved.  It occurred to me that perhaps my SIM card is at fault, so I've gone to T-mo store and got a new SIM. It has been 5 days and the phone is working as it should.

My previous SIM was about 5-6 years old...but I've never experienced any problems with it until after the Anna update.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

Intersting, note that other people also have issues with T Mobile USA after upgrading:

See my thread here:

/t5/Software-Updates/C6-02-Anna-25-0027-breaks-3G-and-offlline-profile/td-p/1204829
Please use plain text.