I am getting an error code 8018001E when attempting to update my Nokia 900 phone.
On Jan 30th I saw that the 7.8 update was available so I plugged my phone in to my Win8 computer, Zune started up and notified me that the update was available.
I started the update, and had to step away from the computer for a moment.
In that moment my wife sat down at the computer and switched to her profile.
When I got back, I expressed my concern about her switching profiles during the update but she needed to show me something.
I then switched back to my profile and saw that Zune was at step 6 of 10, restarting my phone the phone was however had the "data transfer mode" graphic showing .
I waited about 10-15 minutes, and decided something went wrong.
switching back to my wife's account I saw that her copy of Zune had started and was on a screen saying that the update had failed and that the phone would need to be restored from the last back up.
Closing this returning back to my account I attempted canceling the update and closed Zune.
When restarting Zune I was prompted to 'Restore' the phone and clicked OK/continue/next whatever it is.
I believe the phone then restarted and the restore process completed.
My phone was now reset back to last August (the last update) loosing the last six months of texts/game saves/applications added/etc...
Plugging the phone back in I was prompted to update the phone I accepted and the update(s) completed without issue giving me windows phone 7.8.
This morning I plugged the phone back in and was prompted to install another update (Nokia specific no details as to what it is)
When updating the phone gets through step 7 of 9 then seems to reset and restarts the phone then tells me there was an error updating giving me the error code 8018001E
This code does not seem to be common error (not listed in the standard MS help wizard) But I do see some references to an issue on the Mango update on the LG E900 that appears to be resolved.
Looking at my phone the os and firmware versions are below
OS version: 7.10.8858.136
Firmware revision number: 2175.1003.8112.12085
Looking at the Nokia website I see the latest firmware for the 900 should be:
So I am guessing that this update is attempting to update the firmware.
While we feel your pain, the actual update is handled by Microsoft through te Zune update function. As such I would advise you to contact them on this issue.
Nokia Support Discussions is a user to user forum so you will not find a direct response form Nokia here.
Again, contact Zune/Microsoft support here.
Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!
Try first to install Fix It solution on your computer. Just visit the link and look for the related issue and then try again to update the software of your phone.
2013-02-02 14:59 - edited 2013-02-02 15:00
Thanks for the reply,
I agree that this is really an issue for MS to resolve.
However if you read the error page they have language that states that if it is an OEM update then it is the manufacturers suppor you need to contact.
Looking at the Nokia support site I could have called or used the live chat for support, but I did not have enough time at that particlar moment so I thought I would try this forum,
hopeing that someone from Nokia might see it or someone else may have run into the issue also.