Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: HTML5 Browser for Symbian^3 / Belle devices li...

Professor
jraduga

Re: HTML5 Browser for Symbian^3 / Belle devices like FP1

[ Edited ]

@Noki2000.

I saw the comparison video, whilst certainly the 808's is faster by at least a country mile or 2, it really doesnt surprise me. The 808 you have to remember is running a 1.3 ghz processor, where as the N8 runs at 680 Mhz. The 808 is twice as faster just on the processing time. The one thing that I find with my E7, is thats it can download stuff really quick, however when it then has to draw the stuff, its slows down. Thats because part the way thru it has to start processing the information for the page and its layout. All computers do it and phones as well. If there are insufficient resources then it takes longer. The 808 has more ram at 512Mb compared to the 256Mb for the N8 and the graphics 128Mb for the 808 against 32Mb for the N8.

Essentially the 808 has all the advantages on its side. it can process faster, has more resources to use for the processing, so in the end it displays the page a lot faster. Whether or not the browser is really any better than the a belle N8 browser, Not really sure. The only way to tell would be to have to identical phones each running a different browser.

I will say though flash is dead these days, and anything other than Html 5 really is going to be a waste of time. Html 5 is more efficient on resources, requiring less "add ons' to operate and display pages properly and as such the whole things is quicker to load, especially when a webpage has less code in it to do the same stuff.

IE10 is html5 based, as is opera and a few others, I think chrome is as well, the rest like safari will go very shortly as well. and honestly who cares about firefox it just a bugy, vastly hacked browser, even more so than Internet Explorer these days. So with all major browsers going to html 5, it will basically mean that most sites will go that way as well, and we will need a browser capable of handling that, quickly and efficiently on our phones.

A browser that is light weight and quick would be brilliant but really does need to be html5 based.Hopefully there will still be even small upgrades to belle to allow us to get a better browser, without having to install something extra to use even more space.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Suggestion... You would have more credibility if you didn't say things like "and honestly who cares about firefox it just a bugy, vastly hacked browser, even more so than Internet Explorer these days". You may or may not care about Firefox, but many people (myself included) very much do care.

When you say something like that, all the "information" you post changes into nothing more than one user's opinion, which may or may not be correct.
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

Well Mike I suggest if you care so much about it, then help the people who do write the code for it. It is bugy, its not always compatible with regular sites, the same sites that work on every other browser including opera,safari, IE, chrome etc. Sites that have no issue with CSS or any other part of the code, except to when it comes to running on firefox.

And working in the internet security industry, we see so many people struggle to use it these days with sites not loading or displaying correctly (when compared to other browsers) and also many more issues when it comes to the security side of things. Some time ago  (several years in fact)  it was a good browser, but these days, it really is just a pain in the rear. It used almost as much as IE is, which puts it directly in the sights of trojan/virus writers, and being as open source (when compare to others like safari or IE) as it is, just makes it even more of a target. Sorry if you like it, but it is something that many of my colleagues and I advise people to move away from. Gone are the days of it being secure and not targetted. With the increase popularity its target is as big , if not bigger than other browser mainly to to it being as openned sourced as it is.

Dont get me wrong all browsers have their own issues, its just that FF has more. At one stage a newer version of FF was released with over 700 known major bugs. What group releases software like that on the public when the majority of their users have no idea of how to correct an issue or get around an issue, or even knowing the consequences of some of those compromising bugs.

Sorry thats just not that responsible, and then the fact that they release an update and within days have to release a patch to fix the update that was only just released. All whilst 1000's upon 1000s of unsuspecting users struggle to download some even basic websites. IE is not perfect nor is any of the others, but at least they are more consistant than FF. Sorry just the way it is at the moment. Who know they may get their act into gear and sort themselves out, but so far they havent.  

Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

Hi Guys,

Thank you @jraduga for the information about FireFox, actually I've been a user and was having some issues with it since last year. I've started using Opera since last month and runs much better. Is Opera secure? I didn't knew about  that security faults with FireFox.

Hi @Mike, I've been a several years user of FireFox and I used to love it but since last year I has became buggier with the pass of the months, so, finaly I decided to move on to another browser and for now it is Opera.

Anyway, it should be great if Nokia gives us an HTML5 browser upgrade.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

noki2000 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thank you @jraduga for the information about FireFox, actually I've been a user and was having some issues with it since last year. I've started using Opera since last month and runs much better. Is Opera secure? I didn't knew about  that security faults with FireFox.

Hi @Mike, I've been a several years user of FireFox and I used to love it but since last year I has became buggier with the pass of the months, so, finaly I decided to move on to another browser and for now it is Opera.

Anyway, it should be great if Nokia gives us an HTML5 browser upgrade.

Cheers!

Opera seems to be fine, at least as good as a browser can be, as I mentioned before they all have their issues, but i rarely here or see a problem with Opera.

I hope Nokia do give us the update, but i guess we will have to wait and see.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

I'll be real glad if Nokia does give us some of the goodies from feature pack 1 especially the new browser with HTML5 support.
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

Please Nokia, let our Symbian devices browse smarter with HTML5.
Please use plain text.