Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to install software on Nokia N73?

Contributor

How to install software on Nokia N73?

Hello folks,

I need helps on installing software on N73

I downloaded some software from Nokia.com. All the file extensions are .SIS. For example, a dictionary and Time Zone Upgrader.. so on.

My question: WHERE DO I STORE THE FILES? I tried to put them all in the root directory on the SD card. It didn't work.

Appreciate for any helps!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Sage
delixis

Re: How to install software on Nokia N73?

[ Edited ]
You need to perform setup procedure. You can however, have those softwares done in 2 differrent ways. First, using PC Suite by download the latest version from Nokia website then install on your PC. Then when you double click those xxxx.sis file on your PC, while your N73 connect correctly with the PC, the Nokia application installer on PC will ask you for installing application. Or you can transfer you xxxx.sis file to your memory card then goto where you put those file and use joystick to open them. Then the installer in you phone will ask you to do the rest. The way Symbian works is similar to that Windows on the PC. I hope you will get it done easily.

Message Edited by delixis on 17-Aug-200702:08 AM

C6-00 with 8GB MicroSD
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi delixis,

Thank you for your message. I still don't get it.

Here are what I did:
I did got the latest version PC Suite from Nokia web site, and installed without any problems. My phone can connect to my PC without any problems either. I can move files between the phone and my PC. I installed software on the CD that comes with the phone. It seems to me everything is installed on my PC not the phone.

Let's make it simple, you know there is a dictionary we can use on the phone. When I tried to use the dictionary, I got a message say "Dictionary is not installed, please ...." somthing like that. I know I don't have the dictionary.SIS file. Ok, I downloaded from nokia web site. I just don't know where I should put the dctionary.sis file. Should I put the file into a folder on the SD card or what?

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage
delixis

Normally, if you download a sis software from Nokia web by your phone. After finishing download, the installer will work automatically and after that you can use that software. You can try uninstall that problematic SW first, then download and install it again.
C6-00 with 8GB MicroSD
Please use plain text.
Professor

the point you are missing is that the SIS file is not an application ready to run, but the installation package to install that application on your phone. It is kind of a ZIP package containing many files that are copied to your phone drive.

You have to run, execute, or whatever you want to call it the SIS package on the phone, or using the Application Installer application that comes with PC Suite.

If you already have the SIS files on your SD card then use the File Manager program on the phone to find the file and then "click" on it with the center of the joystick as delixis states above.
Please use plain text.
Professor
zitseng

When you've downloaded the *.SIS file, double-click it on your PC. The Nokia 'Install applications' program should start up and install the SIS application to your phone.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thank you very much guys. I have installed all the software I need. I jut don't understand why Nokia didn't say so. Nokia web site only mention "... for installation, please go to User Manual...". It should say "just double click the *.sis file to install".

Appreciate for all helps.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi guys,

Another problem and need helps please!!!!

OK. I installed the dictionary. It works fine. I just don't know where it i installed to. i do turn on the "Show hidden files and folders", but still couldn't find where it is. By the way, I searched both the Memory and MinSD. Cna't find it. What do I miss here?

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Professor
zitseng

It should probably appear under Menu -> Office (that's for mine) or maybe Menu -> Applications.
Please use plain text.
Sage
delixis

18-Aug-200702:49 AM
f117b2 wrote:
Hi guys,

OK. I installed the dictionary. It works fine. I just don't know where it i installed to. i do turn on the "Show hidden files and folders", but still couldn't find where it is. By the way, I searched both the Memory and MinSD. Cna't find it. What do I miss here?

Thanks.

If you are not really a programer of Symbian. You can find some files that might be the ones you're looking for. But you can not be sure especially for Symbian 9.x. It does not quite easy understanding as Windows.
C6-00 with 8GB MicroSD
Please use plain text.
Contributor

OK.

My real question is this: I downloaded a ring tone in MP3 format. Let's say it is ringtone.mp3. Where should I put the file on the phone and I can use it as a ringtone form my phone.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Advisor

hi i am sicoofye from jordan i have n73m and when i
instal a sis file on it in the end of the instal
the phon tell me (unabel to instal) and i cant now instal
any sis file plaes help meeeeeeeee.......
Please use plain text.
Advisor

hi i am sicoofye from jordan i have n73m and when i
instal a sis file on it in the end of the instal
the phon tell me (unabel to install) and i cant now install
any sis file pleas help meeeeeeeee.......
can any one her meeeeeeee.......
Please use plain text.
Professor
zitseng

In this case I believe likely the SIS file is corrupted or the application is somehow not supported by the phone.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

no no no i said any sis file any.....
when i try anther phon with the same file it work fine with
no problem that mean thir is a problem in the phon not
the sis file so i dont no what to do
can an one help........
Please use plain text.

18-Aug-200702:49 AM
f117b2 wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks.

Please use plain text.

17-Aug-200712:59 AM
f117b2 wrote:
Hello folks,

I downloaded some software from Nokia.com. All the file extensions are .SIS. For example, a dictionary and Time Zone Upgrader.. so on.

My question: WHERE DO I STORE THE FILES? I tried to put them all in the root directory on the SD card. It didn't work.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

19-Aug-200709:48 PM
sicoofye wrote:
no no no i said any sis file any.....
when i try anther phon with the same file it work fine with
no problem that mean thir is a problem in the phon not
the sis file so i dont no what to do
can an one help........

Are you sure dude that files were compatible with N73/OS 9.1.
In this case, you may try hard reset the phone.
Please use plain text.
Sage
delixis

07-Nov-200701:02 PM
cafaisal wrote:

17-Aug-200712:59 AM
f117b2 wrote:
Hello folks,

You can't just put those files on phone, you have to "install" them. Have you ever used a Nokia PC Suite? It comes with program installation feature, try it or if you already put them into the phone, use joystick to excecute them.
C6-00 with 8GB MicroSD
Please use plain text.

heyyy i hav sum problem about PC suit!!
can anyone help me w/ this?

i download and install the pc suit program but problem is when i connect ma phone(N73)by cable, it doesn't work. it said no connection T.T i don't noe how to solve this. Please help me. thank you
Please use plain text.